The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
I finally sent my Chronomat AB0111 for warranty service. Watch was sold new and warranty activated 1 1/2 years ago. The electronic activation is OK with Breitling. I have no idea why such a watch was unsold in the system for 10 years, but eventually it sold and warranty activated, then I bought it as 2nd owner from a 3rd party dealer.

So it only had a 12 hour reserve, even if wound 100 times. I send it in with info. Breitling receives it, and of course with the usual "every part of the watched is scratched" (I don't care), and the comment "movement dry". So they want me to pay a full $850 for complete service!! What for? If movement is dry, and that caused problem, it was dry before sale to first purchaser. I read the 5 yr. warranty online. All I am required to do is send it in every 2 years for H2O resistance check (at zero cost). We are under 2 years.

I have met their requirements on the 2 years water check, and the watch also has a 12 vs. 72 hour reserve problem (they said nothing about the problem) that they should fix for free. What am I missing that would require me to pay them $850? Thanks for your insight on how to proceed. DFM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Update: Breitling service agreed to honor the warranty after all, but it took 2 days and a 3rd degree questioning session before doing so. I am glad it is resolved, but honestly, what is the point in putting a long time customer, and purchaser of several new as well as used Breitling's through the unpleasant experience? It certainly will affect my future attitude toward Breitling.
DFM

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Final Update: Received on Jan 4, my Chronomat back from Breitling service. It was 3 months to the day from when they finally agreed to cover the issues under warranty. That is a long time to wait....I do not know if that is typical for them. The watch seems to be fixed correctly. After 80 winds, I left it untouched on my desk. It ran for 74 hours before it died. A rewind and wearing part time for the last 5 days, it has only lost 1 second per day. I am pleased, after a long wait, that the problems were solved.

I would mention again that this watch was new, but NOS, about 10 years on someone's shelf. It only had a 12 hour reserve. Breitling defined on issue as "movement dry". Perhaps we should all be cautious of this B01 movement (or maybe any automatic movement?) sitting that long not working, and not serviced? DFM

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:39 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Now the chronograph hands won't always reset. This Chronomat AB0111 service story never ends. Read the string if interested, but basically I had a problem watch from brand new, it would only run about 12 hours on full wind. That was the entire problem. They finally fixed it under warranty (it took 3 months), and it seemed to be working fine. It is not working fine. Chronograph hands reset to zero when they feel like it, which they do not about half the time.

Does anyone have experience with this problem on this movement, right after a factory service? It seems to be that the longer I let the chrono run, the more likely it is to not reset. Also, the further it is from a "full wind", the more likely to not reset. Then I keep messing with it, run, reset, run, reset, and finally I "hold my mouth just right" or something, and it resets to zero.

I have quit using the chronograph, and quit wearing an expensive, new watch. I am ticked, but hate to lose it to Breitling service for another 3 months. Still 3+ years left on warranty

DFM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I feel your pain, if anyone ever purchases a NOS watch the first thing that should be done is send it in for service if it is older than 5 years. I believe the guidelines are every 5-7 years regardless if there are issues or not. Breitling service turn around used to be about 8 weeks for a watch that was under warranty, they received first preference. Why yours took 12 weeks is unclear, I know that every company is facing labor shortages, they may have trouble keeping up with the workload. I would send the watch back immediately, why wait, it looks like you have others in the rotation. I have several B01 watches and variations of it and some have been back for service. I have others so the turn around doesn't really bother me. They come back looking new and I get another travel pouch out of the deal. Try not to let it bother you too much! Keep in mind that your probably got a great deal on the watch! :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:28 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You are right....I may as well get it returned. I was hoping to learn exactly what lengths of chronograph use causes the failure to reset so I could let them know, but I really can't see a consistent pattern.

I certainly can find a watch to wear in the meantime, but this is only the second automatic I own and I rather enjoy wearing an auto lately.

My quartz watches of course all have a common problem....one or two always need a battery!

Thanks,
DFM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:26 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Due to delay on my end, I finally sent this Chronomat with chronic problems, under warranty, back to Breitling for service. Under original warranty, and under 1 yr. previous service warranty....yet after they received watch they gave an expected date of completion of exactly 3 months out. So "Covid" excuses or not, they are still running very long service times, even for warranty jobs.