The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
 
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:10 am
Posts: 3448
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Location: Wisconsin
Altair, so it's been a few days, are you missing anything that you traded in or are you glad you made the move? I know it's still early, but curious to hear your thoughts. Consolidating is something I think all of us would love to do but have a fear of missing out, or FOMO, as I've heard it called.

_________________
Justin
Please contact me via PM for the contact details for Govberg Jewelers
Govberg is an AD for over 50 fine Swiss and German watch brands.
Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 am
Posts: 2667
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 64 posts
Location: Dhahran KSA
Thank you for the kind comments guys,

jnelson3097 wrote:
Altair, so it's been a few days, are you missing anything that you traded in or are you glad you made the move? I know it's still early, but curious to hear your thoughts. Consolidating is something I think all of us would love to do but have a fear of missing out, or FOMO, as I've heard it called.



Not in the least, best move I ever made watch wise. For one thing, the two watches I acquired take my breath away every time I wear the, and sometimes even when I'm not (Just remembering I have a Double Split and a Chronometre Optimum at home gets me riled up!)


That said, the watches I traded in I was so so on. I still have the other watches that I have always been very fond of. I might do one last consolidation to end up with 16 watches in total, four super grails and 12 classics.

I know I keep mentioning this, but I am still amazed myself, just 8 years ago I was a broken ma, no money, going through a horrible divorce, failing career, health issues, addiction to pain meds, acting like an addict. Goes to show you, if you persevere, anything is possible! I still remember those long years, suffering through withdrawal, trying to work out in the gym and rebuild by life, one agonizing moment at a time....

Nothing reminds me of how much my life has turned around as much as my watch collection, goes to show you how big of a watch nut I am. I do hope if someone, God forbid, goes through something similar, this acts as inspiration to them. I am available through PM if anyone needs advice on how to get through a slump.

_________________
Certified watch nut.



Driver8 likes this post.
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 pm 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12391
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 296 posts
Location: UK
Truly incredible watches Altair, and IMO consolidation for quality over quantity is NEVER a bad thing. :D I've done the same myself in the past a couple of times (although on a MUCH less impressive level!) and I've never regretted it. Quality over quantity every time.

Altair wrote:
I know I keep mentioning this, but I am still amazed myself, just 8 years ago I was a broken ma, no money, going through a horrible divorce, failing career, health issues, addiction to pain meds, acting like an addict. Goes to show you, if you persevere, anything is possible! I still remember those long years, suffering through withdrawal, trying to work out in the gym and rebuild by life, one agonizing moment at a time....

Nothing reminds me of how much my life has turned around as much as my watch collection, goes to show you how big of a watch nut I am. I do hope if someone, God forbid, goes through something similar, this acts as inspiration to them. I am available through PM if anyone needs advice on how to get through a slump.

Fantastic post there, and seriously inspirational. (I may need a few tips! :wink: )

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:12 am 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:38 am
Posts: 1095
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 21 posts
Altair wrote:
Thank you for the kind comments guys,

jnelson3097 wrote:
Altair, so it's been a few days, are you missing anything that you traded in or are you glad you made the move? I know it's still early, but curious to hear your thoughts. Consolidating is something I think all of us would love to do but have a fear of missing out, or FOMO, as I've heard it called.



Not in the least, best move I ever made watch wise. For one thing, the two watches I acquired take my breath away every time I wear the, and sometimes even when I'm not (Just remembering I have a Double Split and a Chronometre Optimum at home gets me riled up!)


That said, the watches I traded in I was so so on. I still have the other watches that I have always been very fond of. I might do one last consolidation to end up with 16 watches in total, four super grails and 12 classics.

I know I keep mentioning this, but I am still amazed myself, just 8 years ago I was a broken ma, no money, going through a horrible divorce, failing career, health issues, addiction to pain meds, acting like an addict. Goes to show you, if you persevere, anything is possible! I still remember those long years, suffering through withdrawal, trying to work out in the gym and rebuild by life, one agonizing moment at a time....

Nothing reminds me of how much my life has turned around as much as my watch collection, goes to show you how big of a watch nut I am. I do hope if someone, God forbid, goes through something similar, this acts as inspiration to them. I am available through PM if anyone needs advice on how to get through a slump.



certainly a testament to strength and shear grit.

what have you still kept back other than the two super grails?

A


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:52 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 am
Posts: 2667
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 64 posts
Location: Dhahran KSA
I have been meaning to do a new SOTC, but might as well wait until I’m done....


The result of the latest consolidation plus cash:


Attachment:
IMG_1588.jpg


I have to say the addition of a striking time mechanism completely changed the Zeitwerk in my eyes, this combo makes it such a pragmatic watch! The size increase to 44.2 gives it impact and presence that can’t quite be expressed in words or pictures.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Certified watch nut.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12391
Likes: 83 posts
Liked in: 296 posts
Location: UK
Altair wrote:
I have been meaning to do a new SOTC, but might as well wait until I’m done....


The result of the latest consolidation plus cash:


Attachment:
IMG_1588.jpg


I have to say the addition of a striking time mechanism completely changed the Zeitwerk in my eyes, this combo makes it such a pragmatic watch! The size increase to 44.2 gives it impact and presence that can’t quite be expressed in words or pictures.

Super jealous of that one Altair! An awesome piece and one of my favourite ALS's :bow: I thought you weren't much of a fan of the Zeitwerk before? Glad you've come around to it! :D

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm 
Offline
King of Ling
King of Ling

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 1770
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 351 posts
Location: Philly/NYC
That ALS is my favorite ALS due to the uniqueness of it. And the fact it's a minute repeater which is one of the coolest complications in my opinion just tops it. Congrats on that one!!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 am
Posts: 2667
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 64 posts
Location: Dhahran KSA
Driver8 wrote:
Altair wrote:
I have been meaning to do a new SOTC, but might as well wait until I’m done....


The result of the latest consolidation plus cash:


Attachment:
IMG_1588.jpg


I have to say the addition of a striking time mechanism completely changed the Zeitwerk in my eyes, this combo makes it such a pragmatic watch! The size increase to 44.2 gives it impact and presence that can’t quite be expressed in words or pictures.

Super jealous of that one Altair! An awesome piece and one of my favourite ALS's :bow: I thought you weren't much of a fan of the Zeitwerk before? Glad you've come around to it! :D



Very true, still hate the standard Zeitwerk. Pretty meaningless in my opinion and held no appeal. The addition of the attic king mechanism elevated both the watchmaking status and usability to the extent that the digital display now makes sense, it’s the ultimate pragmatic watch, legibility and audible notification perfected in a mechanical instrument! The standard Zeitwerk was just a digital watch.....

Plus I have to say the added size changes the look and feel immensely. It just looks boss!

This article explain how the striking time is a different beast than the mundane Zeitwerk and even the higher end minute repeater. It goes to show you how you need to experience a piece and understand it in person and the technology and philosophy behind it rather than look at online pictures.



https://monochrome-watches.com/review-a ... ics-price/

_________________
Certified watch nut.


Last edited by Altair on Thu May 23, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 am
Posts: 2667
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 64 posts
Location: Dhahran KSA
natesen wrote:
That ALS is my favorite ALS due to the uniqueness of it. And the fact it's a minute repeater which is one of the coolest complications in my opinion just tops it. Congrats on that one!!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk



Thanks, yes quite taken with it. It’s actually competing with the double split as my favorite ALS. DS still has the edge though!

_________________
Certified watch nut.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
 


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group