The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
This has been brought to mind by the recent nuclear bomb released by JLC, I did a little reading yesterday to refresh my memory on a line that I had always admired but never really explored, the AMVOX, a collaboration between Aston Martin and JLC.

https://quillandpad.com/2017/01/13/comp ... mvox-line/

That article sums it up very well. I posted on the Rolex forums just two days ago asking what was so great about the Daytona? I tried to be as careful not to upset people, but I was really curious. No substantial answers as to why this watch has such an insane following, it seems to be just successful marketing. Which brings me to the AMVOX line, which I believe is the finest example of driving watches ever produced. I would love to hear what other driving watches you would say qualify.

I couldn't pick a favorite of the AMVOX line either, I would like to add one sometime down the road, but not sure which appeals most. On one hand the 7 with the mesh dial and orange hands screams racing, true to the line, on another the 5 with ceramic case and RG accents has a modern luxury feel to racing. Which is your favorite?

Its just like Jaeger, you go and explore a line that is not that well known, only to discover a plethora of innovations and substantial models. At least three watches in that line up compete for the title of king of Racing watches in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Altair wrote:
That article sums it up very well. I posted on the Rolex forums just two days ago asking what was so great about the Daytona? I tried to be as careful not to upset people, but I was really curious. No substantial answers as to why this watch has such an insane following, it seems to be just successful marketing. Which brings me to the AMVOX line, which I believe is the finest example of driving watches ever produced. I would love to hear what other driving watches you would say qualify.

Just finished reading your post on the Rolex forum and as I expected the usual responses were provided. Although I enjoy perusing the forum the majority of members need to do a little research and stop drinking the ROLEX kool-aid!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes. If anything that thread convinced me the Daytona is little more than a marketing success story. It’s a good watch, I mean it IS a Rolex, but it certainly doesn’t deserve the hype or paying over retail!

Anyway, that made me think, what are the contenders for the greatest racing watch? Past or present. I just acquired the Onega CK, absolutely love it. The original might be up there with the best racing watches, but that doesn’t hold true today.

I am convinced the Amvox line from Jaeger is the strongest contender. Really interested in hearing what everyone thinks and what your choices would be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Interesting article Altair; thanks for sharing. Funnily enough I was browsing through an old JLC catalogue I had at home yesterday and stopped to check out the Amvox line. I've always wondered what they look like in person and whether they'd interesting/different enough to add color to a collection; clearly they would be. On an aside, have you every heard the alarm in person? Is it similar do you think than the JLC Extreme watch you had/have.

As for best racing watch; that's highly subjective (clearly :lol: )but it wouldn't be the Daytona for me and I agree that JLC would have to be up there. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts. I had an Oris once that I flipped quickly; didn't think the quality was all that good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Tim S wrote:
As for best racing watch; that's highly subjective (clearly :lol: )but it wouldn't be the Daytona for me and I agree that JLC would have to be up there. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts. I had an Oris once that I flipped quickly; didn't think the quality was all that good.

I have some thoughts — but, what do we mean by "best racing watch"? A chronograph with a tach scale?

Either way, I’m with you on the Daytona... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No particular criteria in mind, as long as the watch is associated or intended for racing. The Speedmaster was obviously intended as a driving watch, and the CK was to celebrate that heritage yet does not contain a tachymeter scale! The Daytona and AMVOX line are also car related in one form or another, either by function (chrono or tachy) naming (Daytona) design (racing strap and vibrant colors) etc.

I think racing watches have not been a priority for collectors simply because there is no need for a watch to have any specific criteria, at least for a very long time. You can drive an F1 car with a swatch or a Calatrava or a Speedmaster just the same. However, the world of racing and cars has been associated heavily with watchmaking, and all car guys I know are also watch guys, that has created some very interesting models over the years.

I am curious what every one considers to be great driving/racing/car-related watches The Breitling Bentley Premier certainly counts in my opinion, so does the Omega CK, the JLC AMVOX is the finest, in terms of innovation and quality. The Daytona is the most overrated.

What else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
When I think quintessential racing watch, I think of Heuer chronographs from the 60’s.

And, of course, it’s hard not to think in particular of the Monaco, which attained iconic status with Steve McQueen and Le Mans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Moana43 wrote:
When I think quintessential racing watch, I think of Heuer chronographs from the 60’s.

And, of course, it’s hard not to think in particular of the Monaco, which attained iconic status with Steve McQueen and Le Mans.

:yeahthat Me too. The 60's and 70's Heuer chronos, although for me I especially think of the Autavia.

Site Moderator

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Without getting into any "bashing" of specific models, I too have always struggled to find the appeal of the Daytona. Legibility (especially of the chrono functions) is very poor IME, and that is not remotely helped by its diminutive size. Whether you're a fan of larger watches or not, there is no getting away from the fact that chronographs are just more usable if they are larger.

If it was anything from 42mm to 44mm I'm sure I'd be a fan, because I do like what Rolex do, but the current model is actually under 40mm (despite what official specs may say)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
ehm..... 38mm is quite big enough for a chronograph if designed right, if I may say?

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
did anyone say racing watch?

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

WatchFred wrote:
ehm..... 38mm is quite big enough for a chronograph if designed right, if I may say?

:lol: No arguments on that one, Fred.

Perhaps my issue with the Daytona's legibility is more than just size related! :wink:

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Moana43 wrote:

Good one, I totally forgot about the Heuer chronographs!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

WatchFred wrote:

Interesting! I did not know Breitling had a racing history. Do tell!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
For me, its the vintage Heuer chronographs (Autavia, Monaco). But what about the air racing? Is it the Navi?