The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello forum, I suspect like more than a few I've signed up because of a problem with my Breitling.

I bought an Aerospace Professional (E75362) from new and always had the battery changed by Breitling UK in Tunbridge Wells, the batteries lasting around four years as advertised. After the last battery/maintenance service it lasted four months. When BUK returned it to me they included a snotty letter, admittedly on very nice paper, basically telling me unless I stumped up the price of a full service, about half what the watch is worth according to ebay, they'd rather I didn't bother them again.

I changed the battery myself (I used to service and repair broadcast VT machines, cameras and the like as part of my job) which again lasted about four months, as did the next one and the most recent which has just started flashing the display.

With each battery that died after four months the watch also gained around 2-3 seconds a month right from the battery change. Previously it was better than a second per month, only gaining a little more shortly before the battery finally died.

I searched the forum for short battery life and found a few threads which mentioned it but without a definitive solution.

Is there a known problem with Superquartz movements (mine is the B75 ETA Thermoline 988.352) eating batteries?

If the only answer is a full service will BUK wash their hands of me for daring to change the battery myself, or will they think of a number, double it, add VAT postage and send it to me as a bill?
In the event BUK won't want to know, or want a ridiculous fee, does anyone know what size back gasket is required (ebay link????) in the event I just keep feeding it batteries (and regulate it to slow down a bit). Or sell the titanium bracelet, bezel, riders and suchlike on ebay :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard and sorry to hear you’re having problems.

Since you say you've had this watch from new, and the batteries have always previously lasted the requisite 4 years, I’m guessing you’ve had it at least 14 and maybe anywhere up to 17 years (given the fact that watch was made between 01 and 04), and unfortunately over that sort of time anything can develop a fault, and quite easily within a part that isn't changed as part of a standard service.

In answer to your question, then no I’m not personally aware of any inherent problems with Breitling’s SQ movements - I think the issue with yours is just a product of unluckiness and your watch's age. Unless you want to find a donar watch (something running an ETA Thermoline 988.352) for a movement replacement, then I’m afraid you’re looking at BUK fixing it. The reason they usually insist on a full service when fixing things is to ensure that the watch comes back in perfect condition, which is important as they give 12 months warranty on their repairs.

On the positive side, I can’t imagine Breitling would be able to tell if a battery had been changed by you or not, so I don’t think it’ll be a problem if you were to send it in. Plus it won't matter anyway as it's not a warranty job, so there's no warranty to invalidate.

Sadly, owning any prestige watch (especially when it's as many years out of warranty as yours now is) comes with a cost when it comes to servicing and repairs. I hope you get it sorted out OK.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for the quick reply. It's a difficult decision to make, as if there is a problem with the ETA movement (interweb searches indicate I'm not the only one) there's no guarantee it won't happen again. I believe it's no longer being made so there's a limited supply and when they're gone they're gone. I'm slowly heading towards removing the battery and putting it back in its box, in case I ever get the urge again.

Thanks again for your help, it's given me some things to ponder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 17 posts
DAD wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. It's a difficult decision to make, as if there is a problem with the ETA movement (interweb searches indicate I'm not the only one) there's no guarantee it won't happen again. I believe it's no longer being made so there's a limited supply and when they're gone they're gone. I'm slowly heading towards removing the battery and putting it back in its box, in case I ever get the urge again.

Thanks again for your help, it's given me some things to ponder.

Breitling will service the watch to like brand new condition. You would only have problems if they needed to replace the movement and they didn't have one in stock. I believe Breitling have lots of spare parts. I have heard of them upgrading movements, but that may mean a new case.