The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Like most of us. for the very first few years I was genuinely interested in watches I was mostly concerned with how they looked on the outside, the history behind the brand and the model specifically. As you progress in this hobby most collectors also become fascinated with the movement specifics. Personally, I have a self imposed rule, if I can't understand how a particular movement works I have not earned the right to own it. The mechanism is where most of our money ends up, and to get your money's worth you should really invest some time into researching the mechanism as well as any other aspect, if not more.

Hence this thread, I will post here some of the best resources I have collected as they relate to mechanical watches and how they actually work. It really is fascinating stuff guys, and will help you develop a further appreciation of your fine timepiece. Happy studying!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First post is going to cover the very basics, how does a time only watch work? What are the basic principles at play? Here we go!

This video presentation is very good to start off with, not so much the narative but the excellent slide that has the parts layed out in an easy to grasp fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkb5IlX9svA

This is an old documentary, fantasticaly made! It contains giant models of the components, as well as old school American TV narative. Back when American TV was great! Still extremely relevant to today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1XBb7kJJWg

This documentary is by this point redundant, but the excellent narrative and wonderful macro shots will help illustrate how buitifull the whole things comes together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Td7CXwwW7w

If you find yourself still a bit lost, dont worry, we all struggle with a new field of study. This link has an exceptionally well thought out set of depictions and explanations that you can read and understand at leisure:

https://animagraffs.com/mechanical-watch/

I believe that is enough to cover the basics without boring you. We will get into more complicated watches later on, highlighting what makes each complication unique in terms of design. This will lead into a series of posts on particularly important innovations. Trust me, this stuff is addictive once you get it!

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:16 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
the graphic is excellent, will watch the videos later

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It seems not all are that interested in the mechanics of their watches, still though, I found an exceptional explanation of Seiko's Spring Drive technology embedded half way in this video and wanted to share :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4m492J1nuU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:36 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Thanks for posting all of this, Altair!

I am not really a mechanically-minded guy, but I am fascinated by these incredible marvels that we strap to our wrists! Utterly amazing to me.

Recently, I attended a class given by the New York Horological Society that involved disassembling and then reassembling a Unitas 6497 movement. What an education! I now look at movements with a whole new appreciation. The process of actually taking apart the movement -- with explanations along the way about how and why things are put together in a particular manner -- is a fascinating exercise. And, there was a moment of immense satisfaction when, after putting it all back together, the movement sprung to life!

Here is a post by someone who took the same course in a different city (but, with the same instructors), which does a great job of capturing the experience: https://bespokeunit.com/articles/watches/hsny-watchmaking-class-review/

If any of you live in the New York City area (and I know some do) -- you really should take advantage of this opportunity. Also -- the class goes on the road from time to time (which is how I was able to attend), so it's worth checking in to see if it may be coming to your neck of the woods.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Moana43 wrote:
Thanks for posting all of this, Altair!

I am not really a mechanically-minded guy, but I am fascinated by these incredible marvels that we strap to our wrists! Utterly amazing to me.

Recently, I attended a class given by the New York Horological Society that involved disassembling and then reassembling a Unitas 6497 movement. What an education! I now look at movements with a whole new appreciation. The process of actually taking apart the movement -- with explanations along the way about how and why things are put together in a particular manner -- is a fascinating exercise. And, there was a moment of immense satisfaction when, after putting it all back together, the movement sprung to life!

Here is a post by someone who took the same course in a different city (but, with the same instructors), which does a great job of capturing the experience: https://bespokeunit.com/articles/watches/hsny-watchmaking-class-review/

If any of you live in the New York City area (and I know some do) -- you really should take advantage of this opportunity. Also -- the class goes on the road from time to time (which is how I was able to attend), so it's worth checking in to see if it may be coming to your neck of the woods.

WOW! That sounds amazing! I am extremely envious!!! I do not think I have the patience or dexterity to take apart and reassemble a movement, even a very large one like that ETA, but sure would like to give it a go, Good for you Moana! And thanks for posting that excellent overview, very enjoyable read.

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Personally I LOVE the mechanics and what's going on inside these little mechanical marvels, so this sort of thing is super-interesting to me. That said I've not had a chance to watch the videos yet! :lol: Hopefully I'll get a chance tonight, but I'll just say a thanks in advance for finding them Altair.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Always glad to add a bit to the forums, nothing compared to your dedication and service Driver!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:44 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Altair wrote:
Always glad to add a bit to the forums, nothing compared to your dedication and service Driver!

I don't know about that Altair, but thanks very much for your kind words! You've made a superb contribution to this place over the years yourself. Plus I always enjoy living vicariously through your collection! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I saw the new El Primero 21 today, what a beast of a watch! Some amazing engineering indeed! And a very fair price for that level of watchmaking.

That said, and I might be wrong here, but isn't the El Primero historically known to be the first integrated chronograph movement? that was its heritage. yet, the EP 21 seems to have two movements beating at entirely different frequencies with independent power reserves? Not sure why they went that route.

Anyway, I am posting this here as I found this excellent article on chronographs:

https://wornandwound.com/watchmakers-be ... onographs/

Still confused and very interested in others opinions. Is this a warranted evolution of the El Primero or Biver using the name erroneously?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My favorite YouTube channel made a video of said "El Primero" movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSmydTlc8e4&t=409s

I have to agree that is some "insane engineering" as mentioned in the comments. I am probabely going to buy one, where else can you get that level of watchmaking for less than 9K? I still wish they did not use the El Primero name though....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:33 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 6 posts
Thanks for posting I enjoyed learning new things.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Thanks for posting this now I know more.