The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SOTC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:56 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
The more I think about it, I'd keep the 5726. I'd also probably keep the Hublot since I'd be afraid to see what sells for compared to what you paid for it. If you got it for a huge discount, then sell it but if you paid anywhere near retail, you might as well keep it.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
The more I think about it, I'd keep the 5726. I'd also probably keep the Hublot since I'd be afraid to see what sells for compared to what you paid for it. If you got it for a huge discount, then sell it but if you paid anywhere near retail, you might as well keep it.

Haha, I completely agree on the Hublot. I bought it when I was going through a phase of pain killer induced irrationality. I can’t believe I bought it!

I did get it for 35% off though, we Arabs have haggling built into our very fabric! I’m just going to list it and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I just came back from a jewelry and watch source I am using to source rare pieces and have some interesting content to share!

First off, I have been looking at getting an end game dress watch, by that I mean the absolute pinnacle of watchmaking in the dress watch category. I was leaning towards Lange, and was very impressed with them, but they are just too serious to be an evening dress watch. I did fall in love with the 1815 chronograph and annual calendar. The first simply has the most beautiful movement I have ever seen in my life. I was given several high powered loupes and I have to say, the deeper I went the better it got! No other brand, even Patek, quote achieves that level of sheer perfection!

The 1815 Annual Calendar also has a beautiful movement and finishing equally perfect, it’s just that the layout of the movement since it’s not a chronograph is not as complex so not quite as breathtaking. That said, the size and complications make it a perfect daily work watch. Fantastic! The other Langes equally amazing, but not for me for different reasons.

The dress watch I have put my name down on is the absolutely remarkable Patek 5270G. Here it is in contrast to my Worldtime Chrono:

I was offered 68k and took it. Delivery in two months. Just enough time for me to lose the last 10 kilograms.

Now for why I really went in, the pick ups!

My first pick up was one that I have been trying to get for a while, a limited edition IWC Portugueser in gorgeous green!

Attachment:
cae421bc-372c-4e40-8fe0-89d9b4c7d956.jpg

This one will get a dedicated review soon!

Also this interesting watch from AP:

Attachment:
IMG_0504.jpg

I have to say the AP is surprising, much lighter than I thought it would be!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:58 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That’s the 5170P with the blue dial and diamond markers, right?

Is the dial green on the IWC? I’m looking on my phone and that’s what it looked like. I bet it looks amazing in the sunlight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sorry just saw your comment. Yes sir it is the 5170p, ie the end game dress watch:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:51 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
You have some amazing pieces my friend. Enjoy them and good luck on your weight loss journey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:17 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
I begun to read this thread and as I scroll down in amazement my grin was getting bigger and bigger.

Fantastic collection !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hunterfate wrote:
I begun to read this thread and as I scroll down in amazement my grin was getting bigger and bigger.

Fantastic collection !

Yeah, Altair's collection kind of negates the need for any other state of the collections....ever! :lol: Amazing pieces!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you for the kind words. I am very fortunate, I’m not talking about the watches, but regaining my health. As someone who has seen both ends of the spectrum, i can assure you no amount of watches or material possessions can compensate for simply sitting still pain free.you should celebrate your health and take care of yourselves above all considerations.

That said, having a nice collection of watches and your health is not a bad situation at all :)

I am still working on the collection, and planning on having a major change by middle of the year. I do hope this years SIHH and Baselworld suck, every time I think I have a plan for the perfect collection they introduce something that keeps me up at night!

Latest acquisition as part of the master plan is the Lange 1815 Annual Calendar. My AD felt bad about the situation with the AP and offered me dealer price, made me promise not to disclose it, I will say I am surprised these ADs have such thin profit margins if giving discounts ( unless I was had)

Anyway, picked up in perfect timing as I got my S Class S63 AMG Coupe back after having modifications done, including custom wheels, silenced muffler, and an upgraded exhaust system installed. These are now my daily car and work watch, I have to give it to the Germans, no one masters engineering like they do, and the pride they take in their machines is evident throughout, the AMG and Lange are the only products where their machines/movements are signed!

Attachment:
IMG_0666.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0691.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0685.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A few close ups, the 3dimentionality of the dial coupled with the precious metal luster is stunning in real life.

Attachment:
IMG_0686.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Altair wrote:
Thank you for the kind words. I am very fortunate, I’m not talking about the watches, but regaining my health. As someone who has seen both ends of the spectrum, i can assure you no amount of watches or material possessions can compensate for simply sitting still pain free.you should celebrate your health and take care of yourselves above all considerations.

Wise words, and very true.

Altair wrote:
That said, having a nice collection of watches and your health is not a bad situation at all :)

Also very wise words! :D

(Nice choice of car too BTW!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you, yes Marc’s take on the land yacht is an unbelievable vehicle. Unfortunately I am experiencing a constant issue with an odd noise whenever I turn the wheel all the way, the dealership has failed to fix this issue after three tries. Annoying as it is taking away from an otherwise perfect vehicle.

Anyway, and on a positive note, the Bronzo arrived a week ago. It is already developing a lovely patina, I wanted to wait before posting my thoughts.

Attachment:
IMG_0710.jpg

I can definitely see how the Bronzo achieved a cult following, absolutely amazing execution by Panerai, and hits on all the points I love about the brand. The use of non standard metals, respecting their own history while innovating and evolving, and showcasing a passion for quality. just a wonderful brand.

Attachment:
IMG_0796.jpg

Sitting pretty in the PAM box. The gold Radiomir is on the way out, to be replaced with a RG Patek Calatrava Pilot.

Very content with where the Panerai collection is these days. My current mix of six Panerai’s represent everything I like about Panerai.

I briefly owned the new Duo in grey dial, fantastic dress watch. But I quickly decided that Panerai really shouldn’t be thought of as a dress watch, no matter how hard they try. I was also very impressed with the BMG tech model, but it was rather ho-hum on the wrist. Let’s see what they come up with next!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Forgot to mention, in that last picture you can see the Breitling straps on the PAM233 and PAM ME LE. I just cant get over how fantastic Breitling straps are, and they look absolutely fabulous on Panerais! The croco strap took the 233 to another level!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Did you have a choice to pick between the blue or green dial on the Bronzo?

It's sad to see how the value of Panerais has just plummeted recently with the exception of a few models. They made way too many models that are too similar to each other.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I sought the green, I felt it matched the bronze case allot more. To me green is associated with military themes and blue is more of an elegant choice. I think Panerai did a blue dial because they wanted to do another Bronzo and couldn’t repeat the first iteration.

I actually was expecting the drop, it was a bubble. Might happen again, Rolex is going through one right now, it will also end.

Panerai have limited themselves to a few designs in keeping with their dedication to heritage , as well as limiting every production to a set number. As they grow and investors demand better returns, they have no choice but to produce similar models. I excuse Panerai, they have compensated by being innovative and doing some remarkable breakthroughs; unique materials, new complications, 3D printed tourbillon anyone?

I don’t know if any other company that has been able to stick to their heritage while innovating quite like Panerai. Rolex is a distant second, less on the innovation front.

How I wish Breitling went down the same path, they have equal historical relevancy and far more interesting historical designs to draw from. I am hoping the new management will remedy the situation.

Last edited by Altair on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next