It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SOTC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Ggggg

Last edited by Altair on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

3 people like this post.
 Post subject: Re: SOTC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

If I where to choose my absolute favorites from the current collection, it would be these heavy hitters:

Attachment:
IMG_0401.jpg

That JLC Extreme Lab is such an amazing value by the way! No one gives you so much watch for close to that price!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Where the collection is headed....

I have decided to let these pieces go, as they are redundant to superior pieces in my collection and get zero wrist time:

Attachment:
IMG_0399.jpg

I estimate these watches to be worth 140 k US. I am looking at buying a masterpiece to complete my collection. On the Patek side, I am content. The Nautilus Chronograph and World time Chronograph are my favorite pieces from the brand, and cover dressy and sporty well enough for me. The Annual Calendar is no longer holding my interest.

What I would really want is this piece of heaven

Attachment:
IMG_0406.jpg

However I am sure it is well beyond my price range. I have no doubt it goes for well over 200 K US. I might have to go an alternate route and get my second favorite piece from JLC

Attachment:
IMG_0405.jpg

Such a stunning piece, the enamel dial is gorgeous and it would finally scratch my tourbillon itch, I have been craving that addition for over 10 years. I am still trying to arrange a showing, I would like to see how it looks in person, I suspect it would be a Wonderfull dress watch and might even go with dressy casual.

A positive of “settling” for the lower end tourbillon over the Hybris is that it would leave some serious cash towards another pickup I have been dreaming about, the Richard Mille RM 11

Attachment:
IMG_0407.jpg

I still have some time to consider which route to go with while I sell these watches. Ones things for sure, after hitting rock bottom, going through health hell and getting a divorce, life is turning around with a younger, lovelier life partner and an awesome collection of watches and friends. This forum included

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:47 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Wow amazing collection and well deserved additions at each milestone of your journey. Hope everything continues on the positive track and you can continue to hit positive milestones. And I like the direction the collection is heading... Less pieces of higher quality.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Even more incredible pieces than you had put together before! Superb collection.

And to echo Natesen, it’s a great idea to buy a new one as your journey back to health and happiness continues. I guess it gives each one more meaning.

Fabulous future potential JLC’s there - either would be a great addition, and the tourbillon certainly wouldn’t be settling IMO : it’s a gorgeous piece. The RM on the other hand - not for me I’m afraid (and not just financially! :lol: ). I love their workmanship, but their designs do absolutely nothing for me.

By the way - good to see the 233 is still there! I’d be surprised if you’d ever let that one go.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Just noticed you still have the Steinhart Mark II! Totally ironic to see that as it was only a few days ago I put up a WTB for one of those on here! Good to see it’s still got a place amongst such esteemed company!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

natesen wrote:
Wow amazing collection and well deserved additions at each milestone of your journey. Hope everything continues on the positive track and you can continue to hit positive milestones. And I like the direction the collection is heading... Less pieces of higher quality.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yes I agree, less is more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Driver8 wrote:
Even more incredible pieces than you had put together before! Superb collection.

And to echo Natesen, it’s a great idea to buy a new one as your journey back to health and happiness continues. I guess it gives each one more meaning.

Fabulous future potential JLC’s there - either would be a great addition, and the tourbillon certainly wouldn’t be settling IMO : it’s a gorgeous piece. The RM on the other hand - not for me I’m afraid (and not just financially! :lol: ). I love their workmanship, but their designs do absolutely nothing for me.

By the way - good to see the 233 is still there! I’d be surprised if you’d ever let that one go.

Thanks Driver, very good to talk to you again BTW.

The RM is an acquired taste, I used to treat them as a fashion bubble, but there is genius behind their designs once you "get it". A friend has one, and I have had the chance to experience the watch at length, they truly are remarkable pieces of engineering and totally independent design. Its a shame they caught on so much with the Hollywood crowd, that has kept prices out of reach. Roger Dubuis is another great brand that you have to learn to love.

Yes the 233 is still here, and will forever stay! Not only is it the perfect modern Panerai, but it has so many positive memories associated with it, including sharing it on these forums, that I would keep it even if I did not wear it!

I have a Bronzo on the way along side an AP Queen Elizabeth II, will be posting pics soon!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

You see, RM are a real oddity to me. I can't fault their movements, technical expertise or innovation : I just can't ever seem to warm to their looks, plus (as you rightly say) I think their attraction to the Hollywood crowd gives them an image I don't like.

Funnily enough though I love Roger Dubuis, even though they often occupy a similar design-space to RM! Go figure... :lol:

The AP QEII Cup is an LE of only 200 isn't it? That'll be a nice pickup! Looking forward to the pics. :thumbsup:

Good to be back to living vicariously through your watch collection! :lol: :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Good to see you back Altair and it's an awesome idea to celebrate milestones with a new watch. You picked a good time to unload the 5726 since prices are just ridiculous on any SS nautilus model. I'd skip the RM and get something with a more lasting appeal. I love how they look, but I can't see being able to tell the time half the time when you look at those dials.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Driver8 wrote:
You see, RM are a real oddity to me. I can't fault their movements, technical expertise or innovation : I just can't ever seem to warm to their looks, plus (as you rightly say) I think their attraction to the Hollywood crowd gives them an image I don't like.

Funnily enough though I love Roger Dubuis, even though they often occupy a similar design-space to RM! Go figure... :lol:

The AP QEII Cup is an LE of only 200 isn't it? That'll be a nice pickup! Looking forward to the pics. :thumbsup:

Good to be back to living vicariously through your watch collection! :lol: :thumbsup:

I totally understand how RM's popularity with Hollywood shmucks turns you off, but they really are something else. Its best not to try to like them though, the prices are insane.

The AP QEII is indeed limited to 200 and highly coveted, that one was hard to source but I just adore the looks of it.

The Carbon case with RG bezel and pushers are just phenomenal, I saw one in person in London and it blew me away, noticed it across the restaurant and asked the gentleman about it. Thankfully he was a nice guy and did not mind the attention, I apologized but he said he was also a WIS and we talked watches for a few moments. I congratulated him on his fantastic acquisition and vowed to get one someday. That day is finally approaching! :strummin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuwwWmshOA

That video really shows off the design.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Welcome back. Been a while since I have seen you online. Been a while since I see any of the older members.

Your collection is looking stellar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:04 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
welcome back and i see we continue to have a high degree of taste overlap, esp the IWCs and JLC.

you are spot on with the Extreme lab amazing watch for the money, glad whatever you were/are going through is mostly in the rear view

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you both for the kind words. Good to see you are still here!

Yes JLC in general continues to please with stupendous value and innovation all wrapped in high end watchmaking finesse. Their unpopularity is very odd, I believe it is due to their weak marketing. They and Glashutte seem content on focusing on producing stellar watches and having the enthusiasts find them unlike the high and low end brands.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:48 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
Altair wrote:
Thank you both for the kind words. Good to see you are still here!

Yes JLC in general continues to please with stupendous value and innovation all wrapped in high end watchmaking finesse. Their unpopularity is very odd, I believe it is due to their weak marketing. They and Glashutte seem content on focusing on producing stellar watches and having the enthusiasts find them unlike the high and low end brands.

i love this about them though as it is there really nice pieces are not cheap so at least this gives me a chance to get there. i also appreciate the fact that most models they make in non precious metals. i have no desire for the new money precious metal approach, so the SS, titanium and ceramics are good in my book. although i crave a rose gold Duometre but thats because they dont make it in SS and they white gold version has a lesser dial then the rose!