The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
With the recent increase in activity on this forum, I’d love to get the forum opinions on some of the watches I’m considering. Basically I want something with a little vintage appeal but with some
Of the modern features. Here is what I’m considering and some of the pros and cons in my opinion.

Tudor Heritage Chrkno in Blue - https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/heri ... 0330b-0004

Pros - love the blue and the ability to wear on a nato strap.
Cons - as Driver8 has pointed out in the past, there’s a lot of open area on the dial

Omega Moonwatch - https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... al/product

Pros - love the history behind it, ability to wear multiple straps, option for display back
Cons - no date which is a big one for me

Omega Mark 2 Speedy with Racing Dial - https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... ii/product

Pros - love the pop or orange on the dial and the lume, has a date feature, adjustable clasp
Cons - very thick, only can wear on a bracelet, wondering if I’d get sick of the dial in the long term. Would just the plain black dial be a better option?

Those are really the 3 that I’ve been back and forth on. I was set on the Mark 2 but I’ve been leaning towards the Tudor recently. I’ve only looked at the Moonwatch recently. I’ve also thought about going preowned with a Transocean chrono. The preowned Navis are tempting but they may be a bit more than I want to spend.

Sorry for the links and not pictures but I’m posting this from my phone.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Not a big fan of the Tudor's I vote for the Moonwatch, how can you not love the speedy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:21 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

56scooter wrote:
Not a big fan of the Tudor's I vote for the Moonwatch, how can you not love the speedy!

The lack of a date may kill that for me. I’m hoping to finally try one on this week at the Omega boutique in Naples so maybe I’ll change my mind once seeing it on my wrist.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
hmmm....
if you go for a speedy (and I think every watch enthusiast needs to have one at one point) and like a display back, I’d really try and get one of the “Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich” models 3572.50 and 3592.50 pre-owned, I’m sure Govbergs can help you to souce that, you’ll also take less of a (or no) loss if you resell.

have a Mk2 in my colllection - it really pales in comparison to the “true” Speedmasters, I very rarely wear it.

so if you absolutely need that date, I’d go for the Tudor; otherwise the Speedy would be my choice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
56scooter wrote:

The lack of a date may kill that for me. I’m hoping to finally try one on this week at the Omega boutique in Naples so maybe I’ll change my mind once seeing it on my wrist.

I've had a Speedy for the second time now, plan to keep this one (hopefully) :) . I also like a date on my watch but the Speedy also gives me close to that grab and go, just set it quick and wind it up.

I like that Tudor Heritage chrono dial/color and looked at it several times but just can't get past the weird flat chunky case, same is true with the MK piece. I've been more conscious of thick cases and lack of comfort these days, getting old, :lol: .

I'm actually just north of Naples (Bonita Springs) now (until Dec) and will be at the Waterside Shops in Naples tomorrow, looking at Breitlings (Yamron) and probably stop in at the Omega Boutique and Tourneau.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:00 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Well, here's my take...

At first glance, the Tudor is different and colorful, but I find the printed dial lacking in terms of finish, depth, etc.

As far as Speedies go, I would opt for a newer 9300 Moonwatch model. The 9300 movement is really something special, and the bicompax dial treatment on these watches is lovely. Just a matter of choosing your particular flavor, and, like Baskin Robbins, there appear to be nearly 31 of these! The Omega Mark II Speedy has some pizzaz -- but, maybe too much pizzaz. You may be right that you might well tire of it over time.

It won't come as a surprise that I would also vote for exploring your TOC leanings. It's a classic look, and the quality of the TOC is impressive -- just a first-rate job by Breitling. IMHO, the TOC is one of the nicest chronographs out there, bar none, and I think you would be very happy with it over time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:07 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Moana43 wrote:
Well, here's my take...

At first glance, the Tudor is different and colorful, but I find the printed dial lacking in terms of finish, depth, etc.

As far as Speedies go, I would opt for a newer 9300 Moonwatch model. The 9300 movement is really something special, and the bicompax dial treatment on these watches is lovely. Just a matter of choosing your particular flavor, and, like Baskin Robbins, there appear to be nearly 31 of these! The Omega Mark II Speedy has some pizzaz -- but, maybe too much pizzaz. You may be right that you might well tire of it over time.

It won't come as a surprise that I would also vote for exploring your TOC leanings. It's a classic look, and the quality of the TOC is impressive -- just a first-rate job by Breitling. IMHO, the TOC is one of the nicest chronographs out there, bar none, and I think you would be very happy with it over time.

My only hesitation with the TOC is the mesh bracelet. I’ve become more accepting of straps but bracelets are still my preference. Govberg does have a couple preowned of the original limited edition TOCs available that are tempting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:50 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

jnelson3097 wrote:
My only hesitation with the TOC is the mesh bracelet. I’ve become more accepting of straps but bracelets are still my preference. Govberg does have a couple preowned of the original limited edition TOCs available that are tempting

I find the mesh bracelet to be very comfortable, and I also think it provides a great, and different, look.

Have you tried it and don’t like it? Or, are you just wondering if it’s something you might not be wild about?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:19 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I’ve tried on the mesh several times. Afterwards I always think it looked and felt great, but would I be OK with this as my only bracelet option. It’s kind of hard to describe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:40 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

jnelson3097 wrote:
I’ve tried on the mesh several times. Afterwards I always think it looked and felt great, but would I be OK with this as my only bracelet option. It’s kind of hard to describe.

Got it. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:04 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:05 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:06 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:07 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sorry for the size of the pictures guys, but I stopped by the Omega boutique and Tourneau tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
So any more insights after trying them on in person today?

My thoughts:

Tudor - I always liked the look of this one in pictures, but in person it always looked a little flat. I like the colors and the general design, but the painted on subdials just looked flat and a little cheap in person.

Omega MKII - I really like the look of this watch. Like the vintage case shape, like the lume. I like to look at this one but I don't think I would want to own it as it felt bulky to me on the wrist.

Omega Speedy - This is a classic and a great watch. I have owned this own twice because it's an awesome watch, but I always found it a little boring when I owned it. It's nice and high quality and goes with so many different straps. But I just found it a little dull.

So for me, I personally wouldn't buy any of these three. I will echo Jim's comments because I personally like the Transocean better than all of these. I wasn't a big fan of the mesh bracelet until I owned it, but after getting used to the look it's actually one of my favorite bracelets.