Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
Hello all,

Owning a Breitling AOPA Cosmonaute from '65 I am now looking to buy a Breitling which is a more "weather and scratch proof", a watch I can wear daily which can resist the wear and tear better than the fragile and precious 809...

So I came across this one...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/BREITLING-OLD-NA ... Sw5cRZEPCS

I struggle to find more info around the so called "tropical dials" used on the breitlings and hence fear it may be a fake watch...

What is the experts opinion, am I buying a fake and or overpriced watch here?

Thanks for the feedback,

Yves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Watch is real. Tropical Breitlings aren't as sought after as a certain other brand so only you can determine whether the premium for it is worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:05 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 137 posts
Tropical dial is a seller's invention! Around 1992-93 some batches of Breitling's dark blue dials were discoloured to a clear gold colour , in total or by spots, after exposition to moisture and sun . It was due to a defective blue ink, and Breitling had to replace many dials at this period . Nowadays sellers are describing this discoloration as a "tropical" version of the dial . It is WRONG, PURE TALE .
If you buy a watch with a so called tropical dial, you have to get a price reduction corresponding to dial replacement expenses , around 5-600€ for current versions .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
saabreit wrote:
......were discoloured to a clear gold colour , in total or by spots, after exposition to moisture and sun . It was due to a defective blue ink......

Well to be fair, that kinda is a tropical dial to most people. I understand the distinction between natural fading and production defect but to most it is a moot point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback!

I all fairness, when looking at the dial it gave me the impression that it got "damaged" due to moisture or that the dial has been faded due to sunlight.
Looking at the pictures makes me also wonder if the glass is not dirty on the inside due to prolonged moisture as I have seen the same with a Fortis watch which was no longer waterproof and suffered several times from moisture ingress, there the glass is dirty on the inside.
I have asked the seller for some better pictures and more info about service history.
In a way I like the "fading" and don't see it directly as a defect, to me it gives the watch character for others its a damaged watch which is in need of repair. In any case the seller has well matched the leather strap with the "tropical dial" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 137 posts
Here the problem is that the seller highlights what is a defect as a rare and valuable quality . In my opinion, it would just lower the price. If you like it you can keep it like that, but I am far from sure that it will stay in actual condition . Dial will for sure continue its degradation process, and you can also plan to replace the sliderule . Your feeling about a dirty crystal inside is true, the sapphire glass has an antiglare treatment on both faces , and the only solution is o replace the crystal . When you will discover the Breitling rate for sapphire crystal, you will not like it .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I also ask myself the question if the watch suffered from moisture ingress in how far has it affected the movement. That's why I asked for the service history. The slider rules shows - although difficult to see on the pictures some discolouration, it could be some reflection from the dial or actual damage on the sliderule. I will await the reaction of the seller for now and take it from there...