The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I can probably only post this here as opposed to most other watch fora, but the level of hand-wringing, crying and knicker-twisting hysteria that the Rolex "purists" have poured on the new SeaDweller is nothing short of hilarious! :lol: I know a number of us here (and I absolutely include myself) have given Breitling some stick over the years for some of their releases, but there doesn't seem to be a single toy left in any pram in "Rolex-Purist-Land" at the moment!

Apparently increasing the size by 3mm is the dumbest thing that could ever happen and by all accounts it somehow renders the entire watch "pointless" :huh. Some have even said that Rolex have "just died as a brand" as a result.........even though the new SD is about 98% the same as the outgoing SD4K!

I know WIS are generally a very passionate lot about the brands they're into, but the level of hyperbole and hysteria over this is just crazy.

Still, if it doesn't prove popular (although to be honest I imagine it will be hugely popular outside of the 0.01% of Rolex customers who inhabit watch fora... and I bet more than a few of them will change their tune when they actually see and handle one) then I'll be owning something relatively rare by Rolex standards! :thumbsup: Happy days! :D

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:50 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Just don't be posting pics of that 'hilarious' SD here, :lol: ... or at least until you chip that cyclops off the crystal, :poke: .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:02 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I actually like the new SD because I love the cyclops and the SD bezel, plus a higher WR as compared to Sub. Not sure if I would have the chance to see it in person. However I feel that with the new SD design, it makes it too similar to Sub(with date), only difference in size, bezel, and perharps the red wordings on the dial. Kills a lot of potential consumers who love SD because of the missing cyclops.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
I like it, I like it a lot. However, at £8,350 rrp in the UK I won't be joining the queue .............

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Chronomat01LE wrote:
I actually like the new SD because I love the cyclops and the SD bezel

that , but I am still holding out for a new ceramic daytona at close to MSRP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
The cyclops doesn't bother me at all. In fact (as I'm sure some of you will know) Rolex confirmed that the original SD was always meant to have a cyclops from day one. It was just that the plexi crystal kept breaking under pressure when being tested whenever a cyclops was attached. So I'm of the opinion that the modern SD shouldn't slavishly follow a design that was actually only arrived at because the technology of the day couldn't support the original vision. It was MEANT to have a cyclops and now the technology allows it to have one.

Also to me it's swings and roundabouts as to whether it now looks more like a Sub than before. Previously there was no cyclops but the case was basically the same size as a Sub, and now there IS a cyclops but the case is much larger. Gives with one, takes away with the other.

All I know is I love it....so I just hope it wears well.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
I am looking forward to strapping the SD on at an event my dealer is having in May, I was looking at a DeepSea at the weekend (black face) and nearly went for it but I think I would prefer the blue/black gradient face, the fact that the SD is 43mm with Cyclops might well sway me :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
The Rolex Forum has plenty of "devotees" and yes they do NOT like change for the most part. There are plenty of posters there that will tell you the Sub c was completely ruined in the latest generation. Not because of the ceramic insert, or the amazing glidelock clasp, or the solid link bracelet... but the wider lugs. After reading, I see the point, but I love my sub, lugs and all.

I think the new SD looks cool, but way too big for my wrist..

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
For all the people on TRF complaining about the new SD, there are just as many of them that will buy them. The watch will sell no matter what.

sco wrote:
The Rolex Forum has plenty of "devotees" and yes they do NOT like change for the most part. There are plenty of posters there that will tell you the Sub c was completely ruined in the latest generation. Not because of the ceramic insert, or the amazing glidelock clasp, or the solid link bracelet... but the wider lugs. After reading, I see the point, but I love my sub, lugs and all.

I think the new SD looks cool, but way too big for my wrist..

I can understand the love for the history behind the Sub, but the new one with the bezel and upgraded bracelet is easily the most comfortable watch I'll ever own. When I go on vacation and will be wearing the same watch for 1-2 weeks at a time, it's the only watch I'll consider bringing.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
I can understand the love for the history behind the Sub, but the new one with the bezel and upgraded bracelet is easily the most comfortable watch I'll ever own. When I go on vacation and will be wearing the same watch for 1-2 weeks at a time, it's the only watch I'll consider bringing.

Have you handled one Justin? (I'm hoping that it is or wears a little smaller than the stated 43mm, as Rolex often do.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:29 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
TomP wrote:
jnelson3097 wrote:

Have you handled one Justin? (I'm hoping that it is or wears a little smaller than the stated 43mm, as Rolex often do.)

I was referring to the newer Sub with the ceramic bezel over the previous version.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:19 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Rolex purists are a little on the eccentric side. Quite a few were up in arms when the subc and gmt c got the new case and thicker lugs.

IMO I see nothing wrong with the size increase. Although it's not for me, from a marketing standpoint it does bring new blood into Rolex and that's never a bad thing.

You have to take what some of those guys say with a grain of salt. Some of them still hate the fact that there are no lug holes in the case lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 22 posts
Just got my first Rolex today. 216570 Explorer Polar. One reason was the 42mm size and it still feels relatively small to me the way the bracelet tapers down to 16mm. I see a lot of folks on TRF want it to be 40mm again. Just not sure 40 works for my size, but the bezels do add to the perceived diameter. That new SD does looks sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 52 posts
I got banned for calling one of the offerings..."a bit steampunk" :D

Bob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Well, Rolex is more well known than Breitling, so they've got more fans, and this way there were more chances to have a little bunch of unhinged fanatics form an echo box and dictate their laws to the community, just because they're louder and more obnoxious than anyone else. It's like violent football fans or people willing to engage in political violence.