The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
 
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12428
Likes: 87 posts
Liked in: 314 posts
Location: UK
Well folks, Baselworld 2017 is but a couple of months away now, and in an effort to generate some discussion, I thought I'd set up a little thread for us all to say what we think we might be seeing this year, or what we really hope we'll be seeing from the various manufacturers.

While I love seeing all the releases, from the perspective of potential purchases I'm only really interested in the offerings of Breitling, Omega and Rolex, so here goes -

Breitling

1) The one single thing I want to see from Breitling more than anything else is a 3 hand in-house movement. It's been long expected, but has always been met with tales of it being too expensive to produce in relation to the price of the watches it will have to go into. Personally I've always felt that's a complete crock as, a) the price of watches are still increasing exponentially year on year, and b) many MANY smaller manufacturers have managed to produce 3 hand in-house movements and still stay afloat.

2) Secondly I would like to see both the in-house chronos and an in-house 3 hander mentioned above, properly make it into the sports models (i.e. steel Avengers and Superoceans, etc). It's high time Breitling could provide a couple of genuine competitors to Rolex and Omega in the sports watch arena.

3) I would also love to see them make a real icon of the Superocean in the same way they have for the Navi. The original SO was produced in the 50's (much like the Rolex Sub) and while the SOH is a decent approximation of the original, I really think Breitling could make it their own Submariner with a little effort. Bring out a new SOH in a sensible and a more historic size (and certainly no bigger than 44mm), stick in a 3 hand in-house movement and give it a ceramic bezel, then throw some decent marketing at it to create a bit of a buzz (without being too cheesy!), and it could be their dive equivalent of the Navi.... plus a genuine Sub contender.

4) I want to see some of the excellent tech from the hideously overprice Chronoworks making it into the standard in-house movements.

5) I'd also like to see more use of the twin sub-dial variant of the B01, especially when coupled with a 6 o'clock date position. It just makes for a more symmetrical dial and is just frankly a bit of a change!

6) Lastly I would dearly love to see an end to, a) the Buck font, and b) DLC. Despite warming to it a little over time I've still never grown to love the Buck bezel font, and DLC (which I always see as "poor man's ceramic") has just run it's course many times over.

Rolex

1) Firstly I really want to see a "Coca Cola" (i.e. black and red ceramic bezel) GMT Master II in stainless steel. There is clearly a very good chance of one appearing one day, but it could well end up being in a precious metal like the BLRO Pepsi. Also they may leave it until they discontinue the all black GMT or the BLNR before releasing it. But either way, Rolex is total law unto itself so anything is possible!

2) Secondly, it's the 50th anniversary of the Sea Dweller this year, so I am convinced we will see a 50th Anniversary model. What that may look like is anyone's guess, but the most likely IMO will be either a dial and/or bezel colour change, or (and this is my personal favourite) a return of either the Single or Double Red wording on the dial. If I had free reign to design my perfect SD I'd like it to be a Double Red in a slightly larger case (41 or 42mm) with a matte black dial and a matte black ceramic bezel, plus the clasp from the Deepsea. That'd be an instant no-brainer for me.

Omega

1) Firstly I'd like to see a ceramic bracelet option for the truly superb Dark and Grey Side of The Moon Speedies. This option is the only thing missing from those IMO.

2) Secondly I'd like to see their excellent adjustable clasp rolled out to all of their sports models. In this day and age it's ludicrous not to offer any additional adjustment at all beyond a half link.

3) Lastly I'd just like to see them slim down the thickness of their in-house models. The POC was a "must have" for me.....right up until I tried it on and found it was just shy of 2cm thick.....Oh and didn't have an adjustable clasp. Unless a watch is trying to make a statement (e.g. the SA) or attempting some world beating WR, or packed with multiple complication modules, then there's no reason for any sports watch to be thicker than 15mm IMO. Other than that I am usually pleasantly surprised by Omega's offerings.

So what do you think we will see, or what do you really want to see (or not see) at Baselworld?

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:47 am
Posts: 1180
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 46 posts
Location: UK
Re Rolex, as you'll know there's been a bit of speculation along both those lines, ie a coke GMT and an anniversary SD:

http://rolexpassionreport.com/20205/rol ... orld-2017/

I certainly hope you're right about the SD, Driver. Anything like that or a Double Red and I will beg, steal or (likeliest...) borrow the money.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:15 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12428
Likes: 87 posts
Liked in: 314 posts
Location: UK
TomP wrote:
Re Rolex, as you'll know there's been a bit of speculation along both those lines, ie a coke GMT and an anniversary SD:

http://rolexpassionreport.com/20205/rol ... orld-2017/

I certainly hope you're right about the SD, Driver. Anything like that or a Double Red and I will beg, steal or (likeliest...) borrow the money.

I hadn't seen that particular link before Tom, but I have come across the speculation about it being the 50th SD anniversary this year, and the desire for a Coke previously online. In fact I think people have been hoping for it ever since the Pepsi came out in WG! :lol:

Interesting stuff in that article, although it has a couple of things that I definitely don't think will happen - the DJ being reduced to 40mm for example. They're still in the process of replacing the DJII with the DJ41, so dropping the size before the steel models have even been rolled out seems highly unlikely to me.

And while we may see a ceramic bezel insert on the steel Yachties (as per the Everose version) I think it'll be with a black dial and not just a case of sticking the new insert on the existing colour schemes. Most of those Yachtie mock-ups on that link look awful!

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 680
Likes: 22 posts
Liked in: 46 posts
Location: Montreal, Canada
For my part I'd really like to see Breitling to stop trying to make everything in DLC. Also, the move away from the Galactic Bezel in the form of the Chronomat Airborne needs to continue. As for the Superocean option you mentioned Driver8 I really hope this comes. Although I made the move to in-house with Tudor for my Diver watch, I'd really be interested in seeing what Breitling has to offer.

I'm really looking forward to what IWC comes out with. I hope they extend their in-house model to the 3777 one day and keep an "affordable" price tag. The movement in the Topgun comes to mind.

Other than that I just can't wait what every watch manufacture has to offer!

_________________
Mat

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm 
Offline
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:10 am
Posts: 3463
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Location: Wisconsin
Huttfuzz wrote:
For my part I'd really like to see Breitling to stop trying to make everything in DLC. Also, the move away from the Galactic Bezel in the form of the Chronomat Airborne needs to continue. As for the Superocean option you mentioned Driver8 I really hope this comes. Although I made the move to in-house with Tudor for my Diver watch, I'd really be interested in seeing what Breitling has to offer.

I'm really looking forward to what IWC comes out with. I hope they extend their in-house model to the 3777 one day and keep an "affordable" price tag. The movement in the Topgun comes to mind.

Other than that I just can't wait what every watch manufacture has to offer!


You don't have to wait for Basel for IWC, they display at SIHH. The only updates I've seen are to the DaVinci line.

_________________
Justin
Please contact me via PM for the contact details for Govberg Jewelers
Govberg is an AD for over 50 fine Swiss and German watch brands.
Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm 
Offline
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 680
Likes: 22 posts
Liked in: 46 posts
Location: Montreal, Canada
jnelson3097 wrote:
Huttfuzz wrote:
For my part I'd really like to see Breitling to stop trying to make everything in DLC. Also, the move away from the Galactic Bezel in the form of the Chronomat Airborne needs to continue. As for the Superocean option you mentioned Driver8 I really hope this comes. Although I made the move to in-house with Tudor for my Diver watch, I'd really be interested in seeing what Breitling has to offer.

I'm really looking forward to what IWC comes out with. I hope they extend their in-house model to the 3777 one day and keep an "affordable" price tag. The movement in the Topgun comes to mind.

Other than that I just can't wait what every watch manufacture has to offer!


You don't have to wait for Basel for IWC, they display at SIHH. The only updates I've seen are to the DaVinci line.

Oh thanks!

Mat

_________________
Mat

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:42 pm
Posts: 1191
Likes: 1560 posts
Liked in: 1545 posts
Well, Driver, I pretty much wholeheartedly agree with your wish list for Breitling. I would particularly love to see the Superocean range re-imagined along the lines you propose. To my mind, that is an area where Breitling could really make a "splash" (pardon the pun).

Last year, I was really hoping that Breitling would offer some new "heritage" pieces -- watches based on designs from the Willy Breitling era. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they will head in this direction. I don't necessarily have anything particular in mind, but I always see it as an encouraging sign when Breitling finds inspiration from its golden age. I have also been hoping that bi-compax versions of the TOC would be on the menu -- reviving similar versions of the "Top Time."

As far as current models go, I would love to see more "brushed steel" offerings. I don't see why black steel is the only alternative to a highly polished case these days.

You mention that "It's high time Breitling could provide a couple of genuine competitors to Rolex and Omega in the sports watch arena." I'd be curious to know what your perspective is on this, as I think that Breitling currently does offer genuine competitors to Rolex and Omega -- but, perhaps it depends on how you are defining "sports watch."

Cheers,
Jim

_________________
Cheers,
Jim


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:21 pm 
Offline
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:10 am
Posts: 3463
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Location: Wisconsin
While the mesh bracelet does look good on the Transoceans, I'd love to see another option available. Something similar to how they offer both the Navi and mesh bracelet for the Chronoliner.

I think the Chronoliner was a step in the right direction for Breitling with the ceramic bezel, but I would have loved to see that come out with an in house movement. I know people will argue that there isn't anything wrong with the ETA movement, but I think putting an in house movement in there would have really put that model over the top.

I'm also all for the in house 3 hand Superocean as well with the ceramic bezel. I'd like to see them use the dials from the SO 36 and 42 but have them lose the 13-24 hour markers as well since I think those are too crowded. If they're going to put a ceramic bezel on the normal SO, I'd like to see it on the Steelfish chrono as well.

As far as Omega, I like the idea of the ceramic bracelet for the dark side series but I think Omega jumped the shark on those models. The secondary prices of those have tanked recently since they've just made too many of them.

_________________
Justin
Please contact me via PM for the contact details for Govberg Jewelers
Govberg is an AD for over 50 fine Swiss and German watch brands.
Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:13 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12428
Likes: 87 posts
Liked in: 314 posts
Location: UK
Moana43 wrote:
You mention that "It's high time Breitling could provide a couple of genuine competitors to Rolex and Omega in the sports watch arena." I'd be curious to know what your perspective is on this, as I think that Breitling currently does offer genuine competitors to Rolex and Omega -- but, perhaps it depends on how you are defining "sports watch."

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim - yes I agree that Breitling do offer genuine alternatives to SOME Rolex and Omega models in the sports arena - e.g. the Chronomat is a genuine alternative to the Speedmaster and the Daytona (albeit without the continuity of styling heritage).....but certainly in terms of functionality.

Where I was saying Breitling still aren't competing (IMHO) is specifically in the dive watch arena. Rolex have the Sub, the SD4K and the Deepsea, while Omega have the PO models and the POC, all of which are in-house and are sporting cutting edge ceramic bezels, etc. Breitling STILL don't have an in-house 3-hander, and while the Flying Fish is "dive-ish" they still haven't put the B01 (and variants) into true dedicated dive watches. So I guess I probably should've specifically said dive watch instead of sports watch.

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:42 pm
Posts: 1191
Likes: 1560 posts
Liked in: 1545 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Hi Jim - yes I agree that Breitling do offer genuine alternatives to SOME Rolex and Omega models in the sports arena - e.g. the Chronomat is a genuine alternative to the Speedmaster and the Daytona (albeit without the continuity of styling heritage).....but certainly in terms of functionality.

Where I was saying Breitling still aren't competing (IMHO) is specifically in the dive watch arena. Rolex have the Sub, the SD4K and the Deepsea, while Omega have the PO models and the POC, all of which are in-house and are sporting cutting edge ceramic bezels, etc. Breitling STILL don't have an in-house 3-hander, and while the Flying Fish is "dive-ish" they still haven't put the B01 (and variants) into true dedicated dive watches. So I guess I probably should've specifically said dive watch instead of sports watch.


Understood -- and I completely agree that Breitling could really up their game by re-inventing things in the dive watch department.

Incidentally, I would also include the TOC as a genuine alternative to the Speedmaster or Daytona -- and, as a re-incarnation of the Top Time, it provides a continuity of styling heritage from the same general time period. :wink:

_________________
Cheers,
Jim


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 am 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 am
Posts: 300
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 94 posts
I hope this year's Basel World brings quick-set date movements by Nomos. I've been saying for years that I'd be first in line to buy an Orion or a Ludwig if they had quick-set functionality. Personally, I think they should add this long-overdue feature to their Neomatik collection, as doing so would convey their continued commitment to developing their most recently released class of movements.

_________________
Breitling Navitimer 01 LE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 am
Posts: 671
Likes: 231 posts
Liked in: 280 posts
Location: "The Big Apple"
Given the per-Basel introduction of the new Colt Skyracer and a suggested price of only $2000 it would appear to me that Breitling may be seeking to not only increase overall sales but target a new audience as well. The introduction of the Colt with the Breitlight case at a price point approximately $1000 less than a comparable steel cased quartz colt to me says that Breitling is seeking new enthusiasts for the brand. The use of Breitlight in a case measuring 45mm would indicate that Breitling intends to introduce the material into additional model lines.
I think that Breitling will also be introducing a true in house three handed watch. Two years ago they introduced the Galactic Unitime which is a in house three hander with a world timer function added on. Removing the world timer function you have your three hand watch, whether they can price it right remains to be seen. As Driver stated all they would have to do is put it in a reasonably sized case in the SOH line, put on a ceramic bezel and it could become another iconic classic! We can only keep our fingers crossed!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:13 am 
Offline
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am
Posts: 8
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Location: Coventry
Did any of you ladies / gents see the analytics clip by Frederique constant?
https://frederiqueconstant.com/analytics/

I read up about t before Basel however when I was there they couldn't tell me anyone who would be selling it


I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on this as I find it very useful for measuring many of my watches


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group