Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:49 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all,

I am from Malta and i have just bought a Breitling from chrono24 its a chronomat 81950 code 04383, with a Black dial, my problem is that in certain light in the middle of the sapphire glass there seems to be like a rainbow, a hue, i do not think that it is water or perspiration, but i have noticed that there must have been a scratch on the glass, could it be that someone has over polished the glass and not use any cooling agent, like water?? as maybe they did not want to take the watch apart??? I have contacted the dealer yesterday but no answer yet, i paid 900 Euros for it and 50 Euros with commission and postage, will post photos when i figure how to upload them.

Many thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:17 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

http://s58.photobucket.com/print/homede ... 71/colt456

Post subject: Hue on Sapphire glass
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:35 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/colt456/media/20161002_185455_zpstgrql1i6.jpg.html]

Sorry about this guys but my computer skill are nearly zero, If i do not succeed i will try to tell my son.

Sorry Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard.

It's best to keep all related posts to the same thread, so I've moved your photo link into this one. Secondly though, your link doesn't seem to working I'm afraid.

Without seeing it it's a little hard to say what it is, but it could be a water mark as those are sometimes quite stubborn to remove when water droplets dry on the AR, and can give the rainbow effect you suggest. Try wetting the crystal and polishing it with a clean soft cloth. You can be quite vigorous as long as there's no polishing compound on the cloth, as the AR is pretty tough.

I don't think that effect would be as a result of over-polishing with a compound as that would simply remove the AR coating altogether, not produce a rainbow effect. And I'm absolutely sure you'd struggle to generate enough heat through polishing to cause any kind of effect on the sapphire as the crystal is incredibly tough and extremely heat resistant : it's polished using diamond tools!

If you can get the link to the picture working then we can maybe help a little better.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply, i am afraid that in its past it could have had some water in it, as I'm sure, as the numbers do not light up as they should. Try wetting the crystal and polishing it with a clean soft cloth. You can be quite vigorous as long as there's no polishing compound on the cloth, as the AR is pretty tough. Can you please explain how this can help in this matter?? And thanks for your help.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Malta wrote:
Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply, i am afraid that in its past it could have had some water in it, as I'm sure, as the numbers do not light up as they should. Try wetting the crystal and polishing it with a clean soft cloth. You can be quite vigorous as long as there's no polishing compound on the cloth, as the AR is pretty tough. Can you please explain how this can help in this matter?? And thanks for your help.

Paul

Ah, I was talking about there potentially being a water mark on the OUTSIDE of the crystal (as that can create the rainbow effect you describe, and that's what I thought you meant), but if you believe that water has got INSIDE the case at some point, then that's something completely different (and not to mention serious), so yes polishing the outside of the crystal will clearly do no good at all.

If water has been inside the case, then it would need to go back to Breitling for repairs as water can do serious damage to watch movements. However, I think we need to be careful not to jump the gun with assuming there's been water ingress without seeing pictures (and as I say your Photobucket link isn't working for me).

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Here's your pic. My experience with these older Chronomat's is the AR coating degrades over the years and gets that purple/rainbow hue. I usually just remove it all with a Cape Cod cloth and live with it but a crystal replacement will fit it properly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Many thanks vintage,

As about the numbers not lightning up in the dark could it be due to age ???

If i take it to a watch guy, would it be a crime if i told him to open the back case and just have a look to see if there is any rust or any thing ???

Many thanks Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Malta wrote:
Many thanks vintage,

As about the numbers not lightning up in the dark could it be due to age ???

If i take it to a watch guy, would it be a crime if i told him to open the back case and just have a look to see if there is any rust or any thing ???

Many thanks Paul

Yes, the watch is about 20 years old so the lume in the numbers is probably dead. If the hands still have lume they were probably replaced at some point. If the watch is working properly there's really no need to open the back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks again Vintage,

That has put my mind at rest, as i have read on this very interesting forum and knowledgeable that the lume might have faded due to water, and as for working properly, for that age it has not lost one beat.

Thanks again Paul