It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Ive read several references , 1952, 1953, 1954

But when did they move ? Which year did breitling start using Geneve on the dial and was legally allowed to do so because they were located there ?

http://people.timezone.com/breitling/bfaq/

Says 1952

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
As far as I am concerned, 1953 - and later in the year too. Don't have it to hand right now but pretty sure that 'The Book' concurs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:53 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 60 posts
A very fast Google got 1952 from Christie's and Antiquorum articles.

Wayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:05 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Waynepjr1 wrote:
A very fast Google got 1952 from Christie's and Antiquorum articles.

Wayne

Perhaps they could provide us with some pictures of some 1952s with Geneve dials, would love to see them :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:40 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
When, in April 1952, Breitling opened its new headquarters in Geneva, the address was:

G.-Leon Breitling Ltd.
6, Place du Molard

When the company closed in December 1978, the Geneva headquarters was located at:

26, rue Adrien-Lachenal
1211 Geneve 3

"The Book" says that happened sometime during the 1960s, but I don't know just what year.

From this ad in Swiss Horological Journal, it appears there was a Breitling sales office in Geneva that opened in 1950.

As to the dials, the catalog copy shown in Richter and "The Book" makes me think the transition took several years, since you can see catalog pages and ads that sport watches with "Geneve" and without.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Bill
Really inconclusive then :-(

I was hoping for something like "cut off date" for Geneve markings on dials instead of a gradual replacement but I guess that is too much to ask/hope for

Does anyone here have ideas or thoughts when the transition happened from no-geneve to geneve on the dial ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The problem with 'moving to Geneve' is that it wasn't a one time thing. Head office functions moved before production, but I'm not sure what drove the dial transition (that may even be regulated by the Canton???)

I have seen pieces that I believe to be correct with late 1953 cases and without Geneve on the dial, I don't recall ever seeing a 1952 with Geneve.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Roffensian wrote:
The problem with 'moving to Geneve' is that it wasn't a one time thing. Head office functions moved before production, but I'm not sure what drove the dial transition (that may even be regulated by the Canton???)

Production never moved from rue Montbrillant, La Chaux de Fonds. Only the business operations relocated to Geneva.

It was a bit of a curiosity, then, when Breitling AG bought Kelek and "Breitling" once again had a presence in La Chaux de Fonds. Sicura/Breitling had never moved from Grenchen.

Since you brought up 75th anniversaries, I note that the company we now call "Breitling" was founded in 1939 as "Joh. Gobber Horlogerie" and became Sicura AG in May 1955.

I hereby propose a 75th Gobber Anniversary contest and prize. Nominate your favorite Sicura-branded watch or clock. The winner will receive his or prize on 1 April 2014 (nyuk). The prize is likely to be a limerick, but might be a haiku or just a silly poem.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Bill in Sacramento wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Production never moved from rue Montbrillant, La Chaux de Fonds. Only the business operations relocated to Geneva.

You're right - dumb comment by me, put it down to weekend brain (which may be a problem as I'm working)!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:

I have seen pieces that I believe to be correct with late 1953 cases and without Geneve on the dial, I don't recall ever seeing a 1952 with Geneve.

Based on the above , can we safely say without Geneve is 1953 or earlier and with geneve is 1954 and later ?

I have said that in the 765 AVI investigation just wanted to verify my thinking

2 watches , both with serialnumbers from 1953 , one without geneve on the dial the other with geneve

I would date the 'without geneve' as 1953 and the one 'with geneve' as 1954 or later

Further dating could be done with the export code , ie 'with geneve' and a 'BOW' is a 1954 / 1955 build and a 'with geneve' and 'WOG' code is a 1956 or later build, regardless of the case serial number that may have a 1953 date range

Just seeking confirmation to my thinking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I would say that 1953 is more likely to have Geneve than not, although that's not a scientific statement, more a 'sense' of what I have seen. However, the fact that late 1953 serial numbers (or perhaps more accurately a serial number that is late in the 1953 range) that appear correct don't always have them adds confusion.