Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Kiss of death.

KXF on the balance cock means that the movement was made for a Zodiac or a Clebar. Better dial photos also make all the white on the dial look very amateur.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Roffensian wrote:
Kiss of death.

KXF on the balance cock means that the movement was made for a Zodiac or a Clebar. Better dial photos also make all the white on the dial look very amateur.

So what does that mean? Is it a fake?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
The KXF means the movement shouldn't be in a Breitling or The watch is really a Zodiac or Clebar, and someone has altered the dial to say Breitling. Looking at the dial I'd say someone has done a little creative alteration to it. Either way it's not a Breitling. Some Clebar's have serial numbers consistent with the those used by Breitling and are easy for someone to assemble a fake.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Looks like mystery may be solved. Does it still have any worth? Would it be worth reverting back to what it really is? Maybe get a Zodiac dial for it? I don't know, just hoping that it had some sort of value.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
svtcobra00 wrote:
Looks like mystery may be solved. Does it still have any worth? Would it be worth reverting back to what it really is? Maybe get a Zodiac dial for it? I don't know, just hoping that it had some sort of value.

I didn't noice initially that the watch is a 3 register Landeron 42. It's pretty rare to find a 3 register Landeron so the watch is certainly worth saving. Unfortunately it will be really tough to find the proper replacement dial. I did a quick check on ebay and found this one but you would have to make sure it came from a Landeron since I believe the Venus and Valjoux dials won't interchange because of the location of the dial feet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CLEBAR-CHRONOGRAPH-DIAL-/160612627579?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item256542347b

You can always take off the dial feet and use sticky tabs designed for that purpose but the holes for the hands need to match up. If you didn't want to go to all that trouble you can always send the dial out to have it restored back to a Clebar. Just find a Clebar dial example pic to give the dial restorer some idea what you want. You would probably be looking
at $350 - $450 for an overhaul and dial redo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the info vintage! I guess there are some options available for it. Guess ill have to figure out what I want to do with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

What about the possibility of co-branding? From the little bit I have read, breitling imported watches for Clebar. Is that correct? Some Clebar watches are actually Breitlings in Clebar clothing.

Just been reading way too much and getting a bit confused about the whole thing. Thanks again for all the help. You guys have shed a lot of light on the brand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

It's not possible. The people who claim that Breitlings with Clebars are right are the ones who are trying to sell frankenwatches with Clebar movements.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi, I am interested in a Breitiling watch that I was looking at on eBay, and when I was doing my research I came across this form and have the same question as svtcobra00.

The watch I’m looking at is marked Breitling Clebar on the dial and I noticed inside the watch it has KFX marking on it. And I looked over svtcobra00 and noticed that on one of the parts marked F A one side and S R marked on the other side and is the same insides as the one I’m looking at on ebay and the more common Breitlings read the opposite A R and R S .

Then I did read that co-branding by Breitling in the 40s and 50s was common and that the watch was made by Breitling and imported to the USA under the name Clebar

Then I read Trauner/Clebar was an importer of Breitling in the mid-1940s, pre-Breitling of America days.

I’m so lost

So is it possible or in a rear case that Breitling could have made some custom military/ corporate watches that use some Clebar parts/mixed models? And it still i a Breitling

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

If a watch is stamped Breitling and Clebar there is a miniscule likelihood of it being correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
If a watch is stamped Breitling and Clebar there is a miniscule likelihood of it being correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

No.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

svtcobra00 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

:uplaugh:

I freakin love that movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

What does a Fake Breitling mean? :popo:

If Breitling was using Landeron movement why is it called Fake :strummin:

I also noticed That in a Breitling parts catalog it shows that they use other companies’ parts :shock:

So once again how is it a fake watch? :roll:

:cheer: svtcobra00 do you know what the value of your watch it looks as your is using Landeron
movement, So is it now consider fake? :?: :cheer:

The reason I ask is I have seen Breitling on eBay with Landeron movement and nobody saying that they are fake :poke:

if they were fake I don’t think you can sell fake watches on eBay they have a policy in place for fraud (Fake) items :popo: ?

And if that was the case and I was to buy a Breitling with Landeron movement I could do a charge back because it was fake. :mrgreen:

So that being said I would like someone help me with the definition of a fake watch/Breitling :michaelangelo:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hey EJH, nice smilies!

I'm not sure what to make of it. I was hoping to figure out what it is and then try to sell it to recoup some of the cost of the estate lot I bought it in. I was figuring it wasn't going to put my kids thru college but was hoping it was worth in that $500-$1000 range. Not sure what to think now.

Your right about the pitfalls of selling it on eBay. I wish there was a true way to get the dial identified. I think the dial was messed with by a previous owner thinking they were making it look better. Who knows.

Just as an update to the original post, I did find some very very small engravings on the caseback that can only be seen under a loupe. Also, there is a "G" and then some space and then "Co." Also looks like it says "Swiss Made". Not sure though. It's very faint like someone tried to sand it off with fine sand paper, or it just wasn't engraved properly in the first place.