Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 806 / 81610 "Prototype"
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:41 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 33 posts
Sorry if you've seen this one before but this looks a franken with a custom dial fabrication by Mr Marz.

Listed as a prototype but seems implausible as it appears to be using ref. 806 components and tooling that were sold to Sinn and O&W before the formation of the new Breilting company.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREITLING-Uhr ... 477wt_1130

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
TheEnlightenedOne has been peddling these "Prototypes" since 2006

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f15/breitl ... 19630.html

looks like a Jean Zurbuchen w/ a made up caseback, no similarities to the early 81xx case
that used a very similar design to the later 806s and 7806 etc. Probably because Zurbuchen used display backs on his watches he had to have a caseback manufactured to support the prototype claims.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
If you look good, you see that there are 2 different Navitimers with the same dial. And please compare with this prototype Chronomat:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f39/breitl ... 13334.html

Schneider produced in the begin of his era a lot of Breitling watches with the old Breitling Geneve or AOPA logos. (Jupiter, Plutons,Tabarlys, Yachtings-Cup, Superoceans-deepsea) Why not with the twin plaines ?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have no idea what you are trying to prove here ?

a 7750 prototype and then a launch with the Lemania ?
a logo not used until 2002 ?
a caseback that does in no way correspond to the ones used on authentic pieces ?
a seller very well known for outrageous fabrications ?

to quote Alan Trott from the thread I linked to: dream on !

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
It's a fabrication of our vintage guru.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not that they need the support, but another vote for garbage, and suspicions escalating as I type......

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:44 pm 

That bit about Jean Zurbuchen was news to me. I presume he was making his own brand watches using NOS case parts from the old Breitling company's inventory as per Ollech and Wajs. I was about to give Mr März, at least some credit for designing a new dial for the 7750 layout, but it appears he's just painted over the JZ branding!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:15 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Interesting story.

Last edited by michaelsummit on Mon May 07, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

ade113 wrote:
That bit about Jean Zurbuchen was news to me. I presume he was making his own brand watches using NOS case parts from the old Breitling company's inventory as per Ollech and Wajs. I was about to give Mr März, at least some credit for designing a new dial for the 7750 layout, but it appears he's just painted over the JZ branding!

Jean Zurbuchen is really quite an interesting - and very gifted - person ! He used to work for Breitling and went it alone after Breitling closed down,
apparently he had worked on a 7750 version of the Navitimer while at the original Breitling and decided to do this alone when Willy closed down
the company - including a dial that comes quite close to what Breitling would do more than a decade later and a nice display back !

René found out Jean Zurbuchen was still alive and I called him quite recently, as we assumed he would speak German.
Not a word, neither German nor English, but a very friendly old(er :wink: ) gentleman.

Finally Phil (saabreit) spoke to him in his native French - leaving it to him to tell the story !

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:09 am 

Thanks for the info. It appears the JZ watches are rare and interesting timepieces in their own right. It's a shame somebody has to butcher them for a quick buck. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:00 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 137 posts
I had Mr Zurbuchen on the phone last January and sent him a letter with many questions... Unhappily he did not reply to my letter.
According to our phone conversation , he designed and produced 200 to 250 watches using 7806 casing + a Valjoux 7750 17 jewels - as angle of pushers was compliant btw 7806 case and V7750- He added a transparent caseback, a neutral crown and a specific dial.The hands are specific too, with black center and white tip .

In my opinion , the watches above presented as prototypes looks like a Breitlingised JZ watches : same hands, same dial layout / further Breitling rotor , and "creative" back .
Breitling issued its 81610 only in 1986 or 1987 , after the 81600 with Lemania 1873 inside .
There are 2 versions of the 81600 cases , "thickwall" with small casing ring, and "thinwall" with massive casing ring . All have snap on back . The main evolution was the bezel assembly , with o ring gaskets and an angled sliderule .
Why did Breitling issued a manual wind version first ? To get the tricompax layout ? To promote the Chronomat ? Few 81600 were produced , and I guess they furtherly recycled remaining casings in limited editions as the Patrouille de France and some japanese market versions.