Unsure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Popcorn 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:27 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Hello.

I purchased a Breitling (hopefully) off a well rated seller on Ebay (I know, ratings can be deceiving).

For some reason, he shipped the watch with what is obviously fake papers for the warranty pamphlet. The Ref number doesn't even match the watch. But the certificate is of a higher quality printing and the model # does match the watch.

So, do you think this is a fake or real Breitling Colt Oceane A77380?

The engravings look high quality to me, but I did notice there appears to be more feather lines in the wings on the back emblem. Not sure if that is expected or not.

Images attached.

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Only my opinion but in the 10+ years of collecting I do not recall a deployment with visible holes on the side. In addition the wings emblem on the deployment is not centered. In my opinion the deployment is a fake and along with fake paperwork would be enough to ask for a refund. Just my 2 cents!

halfnibble likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

@56scooter Thank you so much!

I'm new to fine watches, and this is my first purchase, so it would make sense that I would get duped! By the way, the ebay seller is "luxtiming".

I'm assuming "deployment" is the official term for the metal clasp on the leather band? I agree that the logo is lower than center on it.

Since I was planning on buying a new strap direct from Breitling anyway, I might be okay with a fake band. As long as the rest of the watch is 100% authentic and I can make the band authentic too by replacing it.

If I keep the watch, I'll send it in and then I'll know for sure. But by the time I know for sure, the return window will probably have lapsed. :(

I found my digital magnifier and took some pictures. Does this help with verifying if the watch piece itself if real or not? Thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:06 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
To me, the watch looks real, date looks nice and tight, all details have a quality feel to them. Is "B" present on the bezel ?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hunterfate wrote:
To me, the watch looks real, date looks nice and tight, all details have a quality feel to them. Is "B" present on the bezel ?

Thank you @Hunterfate for your input as well! This truly is an amazing community. I've spent so many hours reading through the identification posts that I feel I'm turning into a major Breitling aficionado. I may even get one for myself!

This is the model of watch that my wife wanted—that's the only reason I didn't send it back when I saw some of the papers were definitely fake.

I didn't even realize it before, but yes, there is a tiny B between the 55 and 60 mark on the bezel. Photo attached.

If the consensus is the watch itself is real, just the band and some of the papers are fake, then I'll keep it. Get a new band and buckle from Breitling for $215. And send it in for a service. Of course, I'll update again after servicing is complete.

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
The watch definitely looks real to me as well. But that clasp is questionable. And it bothers me that the seller sent you fake paperwork. I don't care if there are no papers, but fake papers would bother me. If he advertised it as coming with papers I would want some money back for that aspect.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:53 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Fake papers are a shame really. But I cannot understand from your post are papers really fake fake or just serial number doesn't match your watch serial number ? Maybe there is a mixup ? If you post the picture of papers we can see if papers are real but for the wrong watch or are they really fake.

EDIT: BTW I think that "band" (or strap) needs a change anyhow for sanitary reasons :)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:28 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hunterfate wrote:
Fake papers are a shame really. But I cannot understand from your post are papers really fake fake or just serial number doesn't match your watch serial number ? Maybe there is a mixup ? If you post the picture of papers we can see if papers are real but for the wrong watch or are they really fake.

EDIT: BTW I think that "band" (or strap) needs a change anyhow for sanitary reasons :)

Thanks again, Hunterfate! Yes. The strap will be replaced, and my local AD says they already located a new one.

Some of the papers are fake, I believe. The paper is thick, but the logo is not embossed, which I think it should be? Also, the warranty document definitely does not match the watch. However, the chronometer certificate has a nice embossed logo and matches the serial number. So maybe some is fake/wrong and one document is right?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:40 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

OK, I think you have real warranty for wrong watch, beats me how this happened. Chronometre certificate looks OK and is for your watch. Idk, I'd keep the watch and maybe contact seller to see if there is some mixup involved. I see that seller's got 100% feedback on Ebay so I think he wouldn't risk his reputation.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:48 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hunterfate wrote:
OK, I think you have real warranty for wrong watch, beats me how this happened. Chronometre certificate looks OK and is for your watch. Idk, I'd keep the watch and maybe contact seller to see if there is some mixup involved. I see that seller's got 100% feedback on Ebay so I think he wouldn't risk his reputation.

I did contact the seller. This has been a very strange experience for me, to say the least. I thought he would be more apologetic, but he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

Quote:
eBay
New message from: luxtiming (4,836 Red Star)
that book was actually not supposed to come with the watch
the certificate serial number does match that of the watch if you look
you can just throw away the book
we are glad you like the watch
it has been a pleasure
thanks

Looking at the original listing (screenshot attached), I guess it's technically correct. It comes with a Breitling Box and Papers! Just not the correct papers...

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:59 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Very strange situation. Deliberate or not, papers are original but wrong except the certificate...

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Hunterfate wrote:
OK, I think you have real warranty for wrong watch, beats me how this happened.

It is bizarre how often this happens, but it does. I've seen it come up on here numerous times. It can only be carelessness at the original dealership.

I've bought 3 Breitlings from the same, reputable UK-based AD, and on one occasion had exactly this, i.e. bona fide paperwork for a different serial number. So, on the basis of my exhaustive dataset, it happens 33% of the time!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:21 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I have received the incorrect paperwork before as well from an AD so it definitely happens. Not that it helps, but receiving fake paperwork would bother me and make me question the seller. Receiving incorrect paperwork for a watch where the warranty is long void would not really bother me.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:03 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

TomP wrote:
Hunterfate wrote:
OK, I think you have real warranty for wrong watch, beats me how this happened.

It is bizarre how often this happens, but it does. I've seen it come up on here numerous times. It can only be carelessness at the original dealership.

I've bought 3 Breitlings from the same, reputable UK-based AD, and on one occasion had exactly this, i.e. bona fide paperwork for a different serial number. So, on the basis of my exhaustive dataset, it happens 33% of the time!

Wow, that IS amazing! Especially considering how important the papers can be. I imagine the digital identification that newer Breitlings use is probably the way forward. Hopefully it will upset the counterfeit market as well as the stolen watch market.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
The watch is real without a doubt.
Papers also, just not for that watch.