Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is this genuine?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
A Watch has been stolen from my store. The customer has no certificate, manuals, just this box. I was asked to remove 2 links from the band. The link pins were hollow tubes. On either end of each tube a screw head. When I would try to unscrew the first Pin Head the whole pin would just keep turning, but go no where. Had to use 2 screw drivers on either end on all 4 screws to remove. All removable links on this watch had identical pins. Can anyone please help. I feel this watch is not authentic. Customer is demanding a large sum of money and Lawyer threats. I noticed the bottom of this box did not look like to ones on your website that people were excited to have receiced. The bottom was covered in felt.
Hope you can help?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Is this genuine?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Looks fake to me, but you can't prove watch authenticity without photos.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

bnewbie wrote:
Looks fake to me, but you can't prove watch authenticity without photos.

Understand. This box is all there is to go by. It was apparently a wedding gift 2 months ago. Looks much older to me. There are no manuals, no certificates. Just this box. Not even a receipt apparently. It is being suggested that a cash settlement would stop it going to court. The reason why I have put up the link description, and photos is that is all there is. Have you ever seen a felt bottomed Bakelite?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
the box seems fake, but, as Bnewbie said, will this help you to prove the wagch was ? Are there any pictures of the watch, which model was it, what is your customer basing his claims of value on ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

WatchFred wrote:
the box seems fake, but, as Bnewbie said, will this help you to prove the wagch was ? Are there any pictures of the watch, which model was it, what is your customer basing his claims of value on ?

Unfortunately not. The customer can not even tell me the name of the watch. Nothing. If the box seems fake, I must consider the watch to be fake. Wrote an Email to Brietling Customer Service. They asked the Watchmaker form Brietling Sydney to contact me. What can he do if there is nothing to submit. Customers father will not send receipts ( apparent wedding gift ), cant remember what store he purchsed it in Serbia. Given it seems without anything more than the watch and what you see before you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

ianandaon wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

Unfortunately not. The customer can not even tell me the name of the watch. Nothing. If the box seems fake, I must consider the watch to be fake. Wrote an Email to Brietling Customer Service. They asked the Watchmaker form Brietling Sydney to contact me. What can he do if there is nothing to submit. Customers father will not send receipts ( apparent wedding gift ), cant remember what store he purchsed it in Serbia. Given it seems without anything more than the watch and what you see before you.

It was new, but was scratched, box looks like this after only 2 months.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Can anyone directly answer the questions regarding the box photos as shown detail wise?

ianandaon wrote:
ianandaon wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

ianandaon wrote:
ianandaon wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

ianandaon wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Based on those photos the only thing that I can say with any certainty is that I haven't seen the felt bottoms, and I have never seen that brand of press stud on a Breitling travel box.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

As others have said, no one can express an opinion on a watch without seeing the watch.

You need to talk to your lawyer and your insurance company.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 am 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 33 posts
The felt bottom looks suspicious. Felt pads on the bottom were one of the giveaways on the old fake octagonal boxes viewtopic.php?t=3879.

Does it look like it is made of Bakelite? I'm not sure if the fakers have got round to making boxes out of bakelite yet like a real one? Early fakes were often lacquered wood.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

ade113 wrote:
The felt bottom looks suspicious. Felt pads on the bottom were one of the giveaways on the old fake octagonal boxes viewtopic.php?t=3879.

Does it look like it is made of Bakelite? I'm not sure if the fakers have got round to making boxes out of bakelite yet like a real one? Early fakes were often lacquered wood.

I noticed in your link, that the real Bakelite had one continuos hinge. The copy had 2 smaller hinges. If you look in the photos I submitted the one presented to me also had 2 smaller hinges. Maybe Bakelite could share some light on this? Does anyone know how to contact them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:48 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Could anyone recommend someone I can submit these photos to to get an assesment. Bakerlite, Breitling Dept, Watchmaker?.
I would like just to ask them about the process of removal of the links. Bakelite standard, we all know there is one. Everything points towards no Authenticity. I am happy to replace this customers watch with what is an APPROPRIATE replacement. I operate an honest business, and I am well known for it. Please, any help is much assisted. I am only asking for the honesty and help of the users of this website, because you also believe in the Authenticity of this well regarded company, and product.
Thank you for whatever you can offer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

After reading some of the replies. I am confident I have done the right thing. It is raising issues regarding available knowledge once again recoginsing a fake, supporting the credability of the Standard of Brietling. We all know that the replica companies will do their utmost, to update and pass of to the unsuspecting customer a heartbreak in the name of illigitamacy. I would not to it to my customer, and hate reading the stories of those it has happened to. At the moment, it is happening to me. Please any help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:44 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

@ianandaon:

Bakelite is not a company, its a material. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:01 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
Raffe wrote:
@ianandaon:

Bakelite is not a company, its a material. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite.

Yes, its the brand name of special type of hard plastic that was once commonly used on consumer goods, particularly electrical goods. It is still used today on mains electric plugs and sockets, and Breitling boxes. The fake versions of the boxes typically use modern plastic or painted wood.