It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: New Rolex models 9/1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Well put Driver. Hope you get one of the new subs soon. At this point I have a LNC, LVC and a BLNR. For me the changes in the new subs does not warrant the spend Rolex is asking for. I do admit having a new LVC would be awesome, but, the chances of me getting one are probably impossible and I will not pay what the grey dealers will ask just so I can say own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks BB! Yes I too refuse to pay grey prices. At the end of the day these are nice little luxuries, but luxuries are exactly what they are - they aren't life or death. I'll pay RRP for one, but there's no way I'll line a flipper's/grey's pocket.

Site Moderator

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:29 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
mephisto4711 wrote:
Rolex is releasing new models 9/1 at midnight (Switzerland)

GUYS! PLEASE PRESENT THE TRUTH THAT Basel Watch Fair will cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:20 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Ding, dong, the maxi case is (sorta) dead! Still a little thick at the lugs, I never fully warmed to the maxi, though I didn't mind as much with the no-date. The 1mm wider bracelet also helps the look, and possibly stability on the wrist. I share Driver's interest in the green bezel. Ultimately regretted not getting the Anniversary but didn't because, thanks in part to Breitling, I learned how good a bracelet can be. The prior years did such a good job of creating a tool watch look but still having some art, some grace, in the curvature of the case going down to the lugs and bracelet. The new one returns to some of that. I probably won't be ready for one for a couple of years anyway so will check out the list protocol, I might have an 'in' with one source.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:24 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Also, I do think some of the OP color models are fun. People get so serious at times, a little fun is good, particularly with Rolex. The new colors of the professional Breitlings are also fun, as was the multicolor 57.If they can be seen, I'd like to eventually check them out.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Scott wrote:
Also, I do think some of the OP color models are fun. People get so serious at times, a little fun is good, particularly with Rolex. The new colors of the professional Breitlings are also fun, as was the multicolor 57.If they can be seen, I'd like to eventually check them out.

I have to say Scott, I've been looking at the new new OP41's a little more closely this week and I'm warming to one of the "new-Stella" colourways! The black, darker blue (that Rolex call Bright Blue) and the silver are all very classic and very hard to fault, but I'm really warming up to the turquoise as well! :shock: The orange/red and the yellow are too sporty for the OP IMO - I keep seeing Doxa when I look at those colours - and I'm not a huge fan of the all green dial either, but the turquoise is really quite nice. :oops:

But the main thing for me is the price - here in the UK the RRP on the OP41 is £4700, which is something of a bargain for a Rolex (assuming you like the design of course). For example, I just saw the other day that the Omega Seamaster Diver 300 has gone up to £4450, so for an extra £250 you can get an absolute timeless Rolex classic with the latest 70hr movement. I've got nothing against the 'Master (I've owned 3 of the older versions), and I know that it and the OP41 are very different watches, but given the choice I'd definitely go with the OP myself.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
The black, darker blue (that Rolex call Bright Blue) and the silver are all very classic and very hard to fault, but I'm really warming up to the turquoise as well! :shock:

I agree (and am also shocked). One thing which struck me was that pictured all together there was a colour overload, and the range just looked collectively gawdy. But pictured individually they were much more appealing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:59 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
Luckily for me and my wallet Rolex lost me with the previous new Submariner and their "super cases". Now going larger some of the color choices...every year less Iconic in my eyes. Not saying they won't sell but...less and less Iconic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:00 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
MickeyWatch wrote:
Luckily for me and my wallet Rolex lost me with the previous new Submariner and their "super cases". Now going larger some of the color choices...every year less Iconic in my eyes. Not saying they won't sell but...less and less Iconic.
I see we are on opposite sides of the aesthetics perspective here. The maxi case was what brought me over to Rolex. Prior to that they just didn’t sing to me. Since then though I have learned that my previous watches I was pursuing or owned were just too big for me.

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

boogiebot wrote:
MickeyWatch wrote:
I see we are on opposite sides of the aesthetics perspective here. The maxi case was what brought me over to Rolex. Prior to that they just didn’t sing to me. Since then though I have learned that my previous watches I was pursuing or owned were just too big for me.

Yes sir you can have them…!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:28 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

MickeyWatch wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
MickeyWatch wrote:

Yes sir you can have them…!!
Put me down for a BLRO and a yellow gold Blue dial sub. After this I’m pretty much done.

If I could move back in time I’d like to get the 116600 40mm sea dweller, a 16710 the Pepsi right before the ceramic change and the coke as well. Then I’d move on the Patek.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If I would’ve bought a Nautilis and a Aquanaut so many years ago when I first was exposed to them… UGH.

At the time Rolex was damn cheap compared .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:36 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

MickeyWatch wrote:
If I would’ve bought a Nautilis and a Aquanaut so many years ago when I first was exposed to them… UGH.

At the time Rolex was damn cheap compared .

I know right? This is a wild hobby and it’s evolved a lot. I haven’t been involved with watches for a long time. Probably 12-15 years. If I had made a few better choices back then I’d be laughing right now too. I was able to pull an AP royal oak at a major discount as well as the ROC chrono. You can’t even find one now at the AD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:16 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
The waiting list is just absurd