Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Rolex models 9/1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 3 posts
Rolex is releasing new models 9/1 at midnight (Switzerland)

Post subject: Re: New Rolex models 9/1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:00 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 54 posts
Nothing interesting. Rolex changes the bezel color, upgrade the power reserve and modify case from 40 to 41... Just a shame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
Nothing interesting. Rolex changes the bezel color, upgrade the power reserve and modify case from 40 to 41... Just a shame

Not necessarily, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I happen to be quite pleased that the they made the Submariner case somewhat larger and that they have added some new dials to their offerings. In fact, I will probably be ordering a pink OP for my granddaughter who is due to join us in December!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:42 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

OP Power Ranger why not the issue is not the news. It s the do a SUREVALUATE marketing comm for only fews insignificant changes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'm only interested in the new Subs, and personally I love them. Rolex were never going to do anything radical to arguably their most iconic piece, so a fraction bigger to offset the slimmed down lugs is ideal IMO.

I used to own the original 50th Anniversary LV Sub (the stupidly nicknamed Kermit), but sold it due to the rattly hollow link bracelet and tin-foil clasp, and I never warmed to the equally stupidly nicknamed Hulk on account of the sunburst dial clashing (IMO) with the solid flat colour of the ceramic bezel. So the new LV Sub is pretty much perfect to my mind. I'll be getting myself on the never-ending waiting list for that one later today.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Anyway, rolex waiting list is just a joke for me...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:26 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Jhdscript wrote:

Just a shame??? I’m ready curious where you’re coming from on this one. Rolex is never going to make any drastic changes to a watch that has basically been the same for years. Demand is through the roof and resale is ridiculous so there’s no need to reinvent the wheel for Rolex.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jnelson3097 wrote:
Rolex is never going to make any drastic changes to a watch that has basically been the same for years. Demand is through the roof and resale is ridiculous so there’s no need to reinvent the wheel for Rolex.

Agreed. I think Rolex are absolutely terrified of messing up the Sub, so it will never get a radical makeover.....and nor should it IMO. You don't mess too drastically with an icon like that. It'd be like Breitling ditching the slide-rule bezel on the Navi.

I heard from a usually very reputable source that the case of last year's white gold YachtMaster 42 was originally pencilled in to be the case for the new Sub, but Rolex basically got cold feet due to the 2mm size increase, and thought it'd be too much for people to cope with! So they turned it into a YM at (relatively speaking) "the last minute". Who knows if that's true or not, but when you look at the YM42 case-shape it's got much more in common with a Sub case than the rest of the YM range.....

And then you just need to look at any one of the many Rolex groups out there and the amount of people bemoaning the 1mm increase (that IMO will be entirely offset by the slimmer lugs) is unbelievable! :lol:

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:38 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Jhdscript wrote:
Damn bro, 40 up to 41 mm in the Rolex world is already huge news. You must be living under a rock if you think they would drastically change their most iconic watch as to alienate their clientele.

I am curious as to what watches you own. Most of the “iconic” brands AP, Patek, Vacheron and Panerai (before their flop) never really made any crazy drastic changes to their lineups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Damn bro, 40 up to 41 mm in the Rolex world is already huge news. You must be living under a rock if you think they would drastically change their most iconic watch as to alienate their clientele.

Word from the vernier-gauge wielding is that the size increase is even smaller than that, that the new is 40.6mm or something; I've seen it suggested that they've headlined the size increase to divert attention from the abandonment of the (not universally popular) maxi-case lugs in favour of the classic lugs (which were for example retained on the SD) - which is not the sort of thing that mighty Rolex likes to admit.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:12 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

TomP wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Word from the vernier-gauge wielding is that the size increase is even smaller than that, that the new is 40.6mm or something; I've seen it suggested that they've headlined the size increase to divert attention from the abandonment of the (not universally popular) maxi-case lugs in favour of the classic lugs (which were for example retained on the SD) - which is not the sort of thing that mighty Rolex likes to admit.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the measurements are not exactly 41. Rolex did the same thing with the datejust 2 and the Datejust 41. The 41 actually measures 39 something. I believe the DJ 2 was a flop and they didn’t want to admit that either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Wouldn’t surprise me if the measurements are not exactly 41. Rolex did the same thing with the datejust 2 and the Datejust 41. The 41 actually measures 39 something. I believe the DJ 2 was a flop and they didn’t want to admit that either.

Hardly a flop in my opinion. :poke:

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

jnelson3097 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Hardly a flop in my opinion. :poke:

Looking sharp there Justin. Don’t take me wrong, I don’t think it’s a bad looking watch. I believe the community was not digging it so they made changes. This happened to the DD2 as well. Now we have a closer to scale DD 40.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

TomP wrote:

Yes I heard the outgoing Sub is something like 40.2mm and the incoming one is 40.6mm, so by the letter of the law (and mathematical roundings!) they're telling the truth! :lol: (Unlike the DJ41 that is, as mentioned, just under 40mm compared to the DJII's genuine 41mm). Once again, I think that 0.4mm increase is Rolex being absolutely terrified of changing the Sub too much. Imagine the hand-wringing that must've gone on for the past year and a half in the Rolex design studio :wink: -

Rolex Designer A - "We have to thin the lugs because lots of people don't like them"
Rolex Designer B - "Ah, but lots of people like the thicker lugs"
Rolex Designer A - "Oh god, what can we DO?!"
Rolex Designer B - "We can't change the Sub... but then we can't NOT change it either!"
Rolex Designer A - "OK, we have to earn our years' money, so we have to do something, so I vote for thinner lugs"
Rolex Designer B - "But if we thin the lugs the case will appear too small for the people who like the Supercase"
Rolex Designer A - "Hmmm, and we can't have the case appearing too small, I mean, just look at how badly the SD4K was received because it looked too small"
Rolex Designer B - "But, but, but... we can't make the case bigger because people will moan that we've ruined the Sub"
Rolex Designer A - "But, but..." ad-infinitum

Months later....

Rolex Designer A - "OK, I've got it! We thin the lugs AND make the case less than a mm bigger!"
Rolex Designer B - "What are you smoking man!?? TWO changes to the Sub? All at once??? Are you CRAZY!!!!!????"

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love Rolex watches (even if the company drives me crazy at times!) and I truly believe that for what they do, they are extremely hard to beat. I'm also glad there's still a company that believes wholeheartedly in evolution instead of revolution. Not that revolution is always bad - I believe there's a place for both - but every time you reinvent something completely it loses a bit of itself, so I commend Rolex on being so consistent. I for one think the "new" Subs look great and I'm on the list for both the new LV and the No-Date. :D

Site Moderator

WatchFred likes this post.
 Post subject: New Rolex models 9/1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
TomP wrote:

Yes I heard the outgoing Sub is something like 40.2mm and the incoming one is 40.6mm, so by the letter of the law (and mathematical roundings!) they're telling the truth! :lol: (Unlike the DJ41 that is, as mentioned, just under 40mm compared to the DJII's genuine 41mm). Once again, I think that 0.4mm increase is Rolex being absolutely terrified of changing the Sub too much. Imagine the hand-wringing that must've gone on for the past year and a half in the Rolex design studio :wink: -

Rolex Designer A - "We have to thin the lugs because lots of people don't like them"
Rolex Designer B - "Ah, but lots of people like the thicker lugs"
Rolex Designer A - "Oh god, what can we DO?!"
Rolex Designer B - "We can't change the Sub... but then we can't NOT change it either!"
Rolex Designer A - "OK, we have to earn our years' money, so we have to do something, so I vote for thinner lugs"
Rolex Designer B - "But if we thin the lugs the case will appear too small for the people who like the Supercase"
Rolex Designer A - "Hmmm, and we can't have the case appearing too small, I mean, just look at how badly the SD4K was received because it looked too small"
Rolex Designer B - "But, but, but... we can't make the case bigger because people will moan that we've ruined the Sub"
Rolex Designer A - "But, but..." ad-infinitum

Months later....

Rolex Designer A - "OK, I've got it! We thin the lugs AND make the case less than a mm bigger!"
Rolex Designer B - "What are you smoking man!?? TWO changes to the Sub? All at once??? Are you CRAZY!!!!!????"

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love Rolex watches (even if the company drives me crazy at times!) and I truly believe that for what they do, they are extremely hard to beat. I'm also glad there's still a company that believes wholeheartedly in evolution instead of revolution. Not that revolution is always bad - I believe there's a place for both - but every time you reinvent something completely it loses a bit of itself, so I commend Rolex on being so consistent. I for one think the "new" Subs look great and I'm on the list for both the new LV and the No-Date. :D

Well put Driver. Hope you get one of the new subs soon. At this point I have a LNC, LVC and a BLNR. For me the changes in the new subs does not warrant the spend Rolex is asking for. I do admit having a new LVC would be awesome, but, the chances of me getting one are probably impossible and I will not pay what the grey dealers will ask just so I can say own it.