The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:08 pm 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:27 am
Posts: 179
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 78 posts
Location: USA
Been meaning to post on this watch and another purchase reminded me. SEIKO TURTLE PROSPEX SRP777

I started this watch journey as a Seiko guy. One of my earliest photo of my watches was this one from 2007 but at that point other shiny things got my attention and off I went. Slowly I sold all my Seiko watches but always wished I would have held on to my 6105 or 6309.

Well Seiko really pulled through for me on this watch. WOW. Hacks, quickset day/date, hand winds, that case...MSRP is $495 but no-one ever pays that. I paid less than $300 out of Japan. I love it so much I just picked up another one...and its a blue dial I can live with!!!! :bow: - SRPC91K1 Save the Ocean Turtle,

A lot of watch for little money...will look forward to beating this one in the back yard and at the beach.

Love to hear your thoughts....especially if you have one.

https://seikousa.com/products/srp777


Image
Image
Image

_________________
Mickey® 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12634
Likes: 114 posts
Liked in: 413 posts
Location: UK
I think the Turtle is a really cool piece - great vintage look and, as you say, some serious bang for your buck. They're also (as I'm sure you know!) highly modifiable with ceramic bezel inserts and sapphire crystals available, so a good fun watch to mess about with. They wear well too.

The only thing that's prevented me from picking one up myself is occasional QC issues (misaligned rehauts, etc), and the fact that the movement is not always the most accurate, partly due to it being a slow beater, and also more likely due to it basically not being touched by human hands during production. The 4R36 is rated by Seiko as between +45/-35 seconds per day. I know some people get almost COSC timekeeping from them, but a lot don't. If I could guarantee getting a good one, I'd definitely have one myself. Hope yours is keeping decent time. :thumbsup:

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:17 am 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:27 am
Posts: 179
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 78 posts
Location: USA
Driver8 wrote:
I think the Turtle is a really cool piece - great vintage look and, as you say, some serious bang for your buck. They're also (as I'm sure you know!) highly modifiable with ceramic bezel inserts and sapphire crystals available, so a good fun watch to mess about with. They wear well too.

The only thing that's prevented me from picking one up myself is occasional QC issues (misaligned rehauts, etc), and the fact that the movement is not always the most accurate, partly due to it being a slow beater, and also more likely due to it basically not being touched by human hands during production. The 4R36 is rated by Seiko as between +45/-35 seconds per day. I know some people get almost COSC timekeeping from them, but a lot don't. If I could guarantee getting a good one, I'd definitely have one myself. Hope yours is keeping decent time. :thumbsup:


Thanks for your post...and I being a stickler for timekeeping...I have set and timed this with Time.gov and found that I am about consistently 30 seconds fast so I guess I got lucky! For me I will only ever wear this watch a day or two at at a time so it never really gets a chance to "build up". Untimely the price paid and the benefits I mentioned in my original post plus 660ft WR and that LUME make me look right past this "flaw".

_________________
Mickey® 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:46 pm 
Offline
King of Ling
King of Ling

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm
Posts: 2665
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
I don’t know much about these pieces but they look cool. I must admit, as of late, the grand seikos are really starting to sing to me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 pm 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:27 am
Posts: 179
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 78 posts
Location: USA
boogiebot wrote:
I don’t know much about these pieces but they look cool. I must admit, as of late, the grand seikos are really starting to sing to me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well you can probably buy 20 of these for a used Grand Seiko :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Mickey® 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 pm 
Offline
King of Ling
King of Ling

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm
Posts: 2665
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 20 posts
MickeyWatch wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
I don’t know much about these pieces but they look cool. I must admit, as of late, the grand seikos are really starting to sing to me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well you can probably buy 20 of these for a used Grand Seiko :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok that’s definitely a lot of turtles lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12634
Likes: 114 posts
Liked in: 413 posts
Location: UK
Worth checking out the new "King Turtle" too. Ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal straight out the box, plus a bit of dial texture to add interest, and also (slightly divisively) a cyclops over the day/date. They're a little more expensive than the standard SRP's, but not by much... and more than worth it for the upgrades IMO. Personally my only wish is that Seiko had put a slightly better grade of movement in the King Turtle as everything else is nicely upscale.

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group