Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: F.P. Journe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I have been traveling extensively as of late as the company I work for is undergoing an IPO, what might be the worlds largest to date. Needless to say, the amount of business meetings I have attended across the globe have been overwhelming. On the plus side, this has also resulted in me meeting some very impressive personalities, and their watches. One brand I came to know and love as of late is F.P. Journe, adored and collected by the worlds most influential personalities!

The brand was established in 1999 by Mr. Journe, a man who is regarded by many as being the greatest watch maker of our time. I had seen the watches before online, and disregarded them as weird trinkets as I do with MB&F and many other independents. But now that I have seen them in action, I have to say I am not only changing my mind, I have turned into an instant fanboy. Moreso after doing some research on Journe himself, what an impressive person! And what amazing watches!

The characteristic trait of Journe pieces is that they are simple on the outside, extremely complex, unique, and perfectly executed on the inside. With distinct yet very pleasing in person designs. The watches are smallish, mostely 40 to a few 42mm models, some 38 and 39. What sets them apart and has really caught my interest where two qualities of these watches: Unbelievable finishing quality and accomplished technical watchmaking with a purpose!

What I mean by the latter is that many brands, especially independants, seem to come out with overly complex mechanisms that are complicated for complications sake. I find that off puting as its useless, costely, and renders the piece unusable in any practical way. Journe on the other hand obsesses over one thing: perfect timekeeping! And he spares no effort or cost at achieving that. Look into the Chronometer a Resonance or the Chronometr Optimum for a bit more on that.

I am also very intrigued by how passionate he is about his work, he only produces 800-1000 watches a year, and that is not a limitation by design as he says, but rather as he wants his team to ocus on quality and perfection and wants to inspect every watch himself before release.

This video and article would do a better job explaining the qualities of this new brand than I ever could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fmjnKGZkY&t=305s

odinkee.com/articles/in-depth-the-fp-journe-chronometre-optimum

The quality of these watches in truly unbelievable, I had my Lange 1815 AC during the trip, and it felt second rate as I stopped by two boutiques and handled the watches!

As a side note, in addition to recentely discovering this brand and wanting to share with you guys. I have to say I am very please for Journe, here is a man who stuck to his passion with no compromise and is now reaping the recognition he deserves. We are fortunate to have such an exceptional watchmaker in our time. I personally have my eye on two pieces from their collection, but promised myself no more purchases until I sell some of the watches I am not wearing. Must downsize and upgrade!

Last edited by Altair on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

WatchFred likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: F.P. Journe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I just found this very detailed explanation of Journes history and why he has attracted so many higher end collectors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEM93AfHF3o&t=698s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:33 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I love the look of the watches and the Chronometer Bleu is looks stunning in the real life photos I've seen. I know George at Govberg is a huge fan.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes the CB is stunning in real life. I wish it was larger than 39mm though. If only it was 41-42..

George has great taste! I pick up my Chronometre Optimum in platinum tomorrow. Exciting times!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The 42mm eagle has landed!

Attachment:
IMG_0540.jpg

I also got a chance to see the nearly mythical Daytona with Eastern Arabic numerals in full platinum. I was never a fan of the Daytona at all, but something about that combo changes everything....

As for the Journe, it’s a modern masterpiece! I will do a full review soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WatchFred likes this post.