The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:55 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I think this has been asked before, but just curious what everyone's thoughts are if you were able to have as many watches as you wanted, what would be the number you stop at? Also, based on your number, what would your collection look like? You don't have to list specific models, but maybe something like I'd want a diver, dress watch, pilot, and something else. I know a lot of people always mention they want the air, land, and sea trio for both Omegas and Rolex so it could be something as general as that.

I can honestly say that with my current 6 watches, I'm very content. The current rotation includes:

Rolex SubC
Rolex Datejust 2
Breitling Colt GMT
Breitling Colt Skyracer
Breitling Chronomat Airborne
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chrono

I like the diversity I have right now. In a perfect world I'd love to add maybe one more, maybe either the Omega Mark 2 or an actual vintage watch but I don't know if that will ever happen. I'm also the type of person that can't stand if a watch sits around too long so I think 6 is about as many as I can handle. So 6 is my number, what would everyone else go with?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
For me the perfect number is more than 5 but less than 15. I’ve had more than 15 on a fair number of occasions and I found that a number of them weren’t getting worn regularly enough, so I always ended up selling some. To me, watches are made to be enjoyed so while I’m generally very careful with them it’s important to me for my watches to be in regular rotation.

I’m a watch enthusiast (and a bit of a fanatic, if I’m honest!) but I’m not what I’d consider to be a “collector” per se, and I’m certainly not a hoarder.

Site Moderator

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
That is an important question and an impossible one to answer. I would say that is a very individual specific matter, some are perfectly happy with one, some are not content with hundreds.

I was actually discussing this with someone recently, and I had commented that there is a clear line between collecting watches with a passion, and simply hoarding. To each their own.

Personally, I agree with Driver8, in that too many watches can be bothersome and impossible to wear them with any frequency. I find the less watches you have the more special they become. This definitely is a case of too much of a good thing! Yet diversity allows you to explore different realms of watchmaking and to not get bored with any one piece. What exact number gets you that balance is individual, yet I again agree with Driver, 5 to 15 sounds like a very reasonable range. I have two 6 watch wonders and a Panerai box that house 6 pieces, so I shoot for 18 with 6 of them not getting any wrist time, but are kept for sentimental reasons. I am currentely negotiating a deal where I will be trading in 14 watches, plus cash, for two very special watches.

A little advice from a collector who made every mistake possible and paid for it, when tempted to buy a new watch, think about your current collection, and how the new piece will fit in and what will it add. Regardless of your current fascination with the piece, you might find it redundant in the future.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Altair wrote:
A little advice from a collector who made every mistake possible and paid for it, when tempted to buy a new watch, think about your current collection, and how the new piece will fit in and what will it add. Regardless of your current fascination with the piece, you might find it redundant in the future.

This is very good advice. When I started collecting, I wanted every watch I saw and l liked. Last time I had up 6 watches I found I wasn’t wearing one at all and it was the most expensive watch I owned at the time and it was sold quickly after I came to that realization. I’d love to have a collection in the 10-12 range, but that may not be until the kids are out of college which won’t happen for another 15 years.

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:56 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
This past year and currently I'm still trying to figure out the answer to this question. My collection had gotten up to 16 watches which I found to be way too many as I would go months in between wearing some of them. I don't have a watch box so they are all in travel cases and not on display and I would literally forget about watches that I had. I'm in the process of downsizing to about 6 or 7 and then re-evaluating and seeing where I want to go from there.

I think for me somewhere around 8 watches would be perfect. So assuming 4 weeks per month I could basically wear each one for half a week. That way each watch would get some use during the month. And I tend to wear my watches for a couple days in a row anyway once I set it and wind it and get it going. So I think 8 seems to work well for me. But since this is clearly no exact science I think I'll give a range of about 8-10 being ideal for me.

What those 8-10 watches would be probably changes on a daily basis haha. I don't think I'll ever stop buying and selling watches because I like the variety that this hobby has to offer. But once I get down to a reasonable number now, I'll have to start applying the 1 in 1 out method so I don't get back to the position that I'm in now.

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:44 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
this is a very hard question to answer and its also why it takes me a very long time to purchase. i see one i fall in love with but i have to go back multiple times to ensure its not just a bout of love.

eventually i will buy it and then it never leaves the collection.

i have made two mistakes both bought at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons and they are the only two i have ever parted with, the issue with this approach is that i could end up over the 15-20 cap that i happen to agree with Driver and Altair on.

that said my B1 and Emergency were bought as tool watches and the minute the emergency function becomes redundant or the B1 becomes an issue to service to looks too dated they will go, that was always the intention of these two.

then as Altair says i tend to keep looking at determining the gaps and the complications i want that are missing from the collection

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:06 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
At one point I would have considered watches to be like women, the more I had the better I felt lol. Now at 40 my perception has changed.

In the height of this hobby there were 6 watches; now I’m down to 5, 2 of which barely get any wrist time. The 3 that are in heavy rotations are a Sub C LN, Sub C LV and a BLNR. Of the 3 the LN has been on my wrist for the past month. Not sure about the exact number that’s perfect to me cuz I am not as watch crazy as I once was.

At this point there are only a few pieces that I would want, all of which are out of my range. I have made a few mistakes when I first started and I’d rather not go through that again lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:48 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I always question this around this time of year and people start posting their SOTC posts across all forums. I look at some posts and wonder how often they actually wear some of the watches they have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

jnelson3097 wrote:
I always question this around this time of year and people start posting their SOTC posts across all forums. I look at some posts and wonder how often they actually wear some of the watches they have.

Some guys have a ton of watches, but I’d venture a guess quite a few sit idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Such a great question. For me it's likely no more than 7; which gives me the ability to wear a 'main' watch one day each week. Currently I have 4 main watches (2 Breitling's; one Omega; and a more classical FC thus satisfying multiple styles) and will be adding probably an IWC soon (or maybe a JLC/GO). I then have another 3 watches I rarely wear. What I was finding is that I was getting stressed if I couldn't wear my watches weekly. I also don't want too many i.e. don't want too much stuff. Given I only add a new piece every few years and don't sell many; I'm comfortable with that number.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
I've tried not to go over 10 in the past and usually hold 6-8 pieces at any one time. If I pick up something new I make myself sell another, holding down the collection. Right now I have 8 (2 Breitling, 1 Omega, 1 Oris, and the rest fun micro brands which come and go more frquently).

I keep telling myself to reduce to 4 but that never seems to happen, or if it does - doesn't last long, ha! I soon will sell a couple micros anticipating a bigger purchase this year. My preferred mix is 3-4 diver style and 3-4 pilot pieces, of which any can be worn on any particular day (don't have use for dress pieces, retired and all).

@ Tim S: If you would hurry up and sell me your 1903 you would have more room in your collection to purchase another piece, :wink: :D. (I know your still looking for that IWC pilot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Kodiak wrote:
@ Tim S: If you would hurry up and sell me your 1903 you would have more room in your collection to purchase another piece, :wink: :D. (I know your still looking for that IWC pilot)

Ha never :lol: I most certainly am and I will have it this year or resign from watches forever :wink: In all seriousness; I just haven't been able to decide between an old IWC pilot or new model; or the Omega Pro; and I even gave Bremont a few looks. I should just forget them all and get a JLC or GO...or all of them...one day.

What's the bigger purchase?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Has anyone read Marie Kondo? If it sparks joy, keep it.

I don’t my number. Right now, it is one more than I currently have because I want to pick up one of the new or upcoming releases!

My limit is that I will only buy one watch a year. So if I get a new Seiko 5, I’m done for the year. And selling a watch doesn’t give me a watch credit for that year. That will cause me to think long and hard about a purchase.