Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:33 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Altair wrote:
You are right. The Navitimer should be on my list, but I am so upset with Breitling's state in the last ten years I am keeping it off for now. Lets hope for a brighter future.

Really, during a period that the company developed the very successful SuperOcean Heritage line, brought back the TransOcean and introduced their own highly-regarded in-house movement?

Beside, I didn’t see a rule that your list of three had to be new watches. My fourth watch would be a 1964 (birth year) 765 AVI.

Photo credit: A Collected Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
No rules, whatever you like goes. This is only for fun. I was speaking for my own choices.

Regarding Breitling, yes they did do some excellent choices in the last decade, and I am a huge fan of the Transocean and glad they brought it back. The LE is s stunner. Sadly, that is overshadowed by other decisions they made, and a downward spiral in terms of their legendary quality. I wrote a detailed letter to Breitling, posted in the appropriate forum, detailing how I felt.

Keyword here is felt, Breitling does hold a special place for me, and I hold them to a higher standard than ,say, Rolex. And I expect Breitling to perform as a legendary brand that sets the stage, as they used to, rather than follow trends, as they are right now.

We are veering off topic here, the main forum is where this discussion, as enjoyable as it is, should be.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Altair wrote:
I genuinely like the idea of the Zeitwerk, although 42MM might be a normal size for most brands it is absolutely titanic for Lange, the Zeitwerk is to Lange what the Ploprof is to Omega, or the Super 8 B20 is to Breitling, it is their ugly overengineered monster, that just happens to sound angelic. That makes it very, very cool. I really wanted to like it, as it offers allot for the price, but I just couldn't warm up to it on the wrist. I don't like digital displays, and that dial is just unattractive to my eye. This certainly could change over time, I am typing this with a 39.5MM Lange that is taking my breath away far more than the 6.75 Bentely I started on these forums with, my tastes change.

My taste in watches has changed a bit over the years too, and one of those changes is the case-size. Before I only ever used to wear 44mm to 46mm (with a few 48mm Bentleys thrown in). Now my preferred range is 42mm to 44mm. My GMT II is the only thing I have below 42mm,.... and even with the "super case" I still looks a little small on my wrist.

The Zeitwerk may be large for a Lange but on this one it's not the size that appeals - I think it's superb in so many ways. Funny how you find it unattractive, while I personally find it very crisp (almost clinical), modern, symmetrical and aesthetically balanced. But as I always say, if we all liked the same things it'd be a very dull world! :D I also think the case-back utterly stunning and pretty much unlike most other movements. (Over 770 parts!)

Just an incredible horological work of engineering art. Love it.

Site Moderator