Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:56 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
natesen wrote:
So any more insights after trying them on in person today?

My thoughts:

Tudor - I always liked the look of this one in pictures, but in person it always looked a little flat. I like the colors and the general design, but the painted on subdials just looked flat and a little cheap in person.

Omega MKII - I really like the look of this watch. Like the vintage case shape, like the lume. I like to look at this one but I don't think I would want to own it as it felt bulky to me on the wrist.

Omega Speedy - This is a classic and a great watch. I have owned this own twice because it's an awesome watch, but I always found it a little boring when I owned it. It's nice and high quality and goes with so many different straps. But I just found it a little dull.

So for me, I personally wouldn't buy any of these three. I will echo Jim's comments because I personally like the Transocean better than all of these. I wasn't a big fan of the mesh bracelet until I owned it, but after getting used to the look it's actually one of my favorite bracelets.

After seeing them all in person, these are some of my thoughts. The Mark 2 really stood out because of the dial. There’s a lot more depth to it than the others. The pop of color with the orange really looks nice and the dial seems to change colors with the light. The lune on it is amazing and the subtle orange glow around the dial is a nice touch. The salesman at Omega told me I can still use a nato strap with this but I feel that would be way uncomfortable since it’s already so thick. I think seeing this watch with the black dial would be an interesting idea as well since the black dial may be a safer bet.

I can see what you mean with the Speedy. It felt great on the wrist and it was basically the perfect size, but I can see it getting dull in time. I tried on the version with the hesalite and solid caseback. The box is impressive although it would sit in a closet. I like the fact there are tons of nato options but I can see the initial appeal of this watch not lasting that long. The salesman at the Omega boutique did mention it would have better resale than the Mark 2.

The painted dial on the Tudor looked better than I remember from the last time I tried it on. I still love the blue accents on this and like the Mark 2, there’s that pop of color with the orange accents. I was only able to try it on the bracelet which is how I’d wear it most of the time, but I do like the nato option.

As far as the Transocean, it’s still something I’m going to consider. I really need to give the mesh bracelet a serious look. Unfortunately Govberg’s location was already closed so I didn’t get a chance to check them out.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:42 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Tudor: Agree with the open area on the dial. I personally dislike the color combo as I prefer something more pro. This is more of "funky" to me. I also dislike the subdials and feel that they tend to trick the eyes and do not provide at a glance reading. I personally find it easily tiresome after a while.

Omega Mark II: Color Combo is fantastic and very legible. Dislike some of the details and the killer part for me is the date window that eats into the subdial.

Omega Speedy: Icon and Optimal legibility. Can't really fault the design except for a detail where I would prefer the arrow tip of the Chrono Sec Hand to align with the base of the minute markers. I also like date complication but because your Chronomat Airborne already has this feature so you can take it that this is something "different" from what you already have. This is the only piece among the 3 that I think you would most likely keep long term.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
have a look at the New Premier on your wrist before you decide .... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:19 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
So, Justin, none of the Speedy 9300 moonwatches interest you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:55 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Well for me it would be the Omega Mark 2 Speedy but being a bit of a boring bloke it’d be the black face. I loved that Tudor when I first saw it but I knew I’d tire of it. The moonwatch is an iconic piece but I like a date complication. I’m after a new piece myself but I’m after a JLC Hometime.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:05 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:
have a look at the New Premier on your wrist before you decide .... ;)

The panda dial is very appealing, but it’s just a bit more than I can spend on the next purchase even with some price consideration. I can keep it on the list but it could mean sleeping on the couch for awhile.

Moana43 wrote:
So, Justin, none of the Speedy 9300 moonwatches interest you?

I did look at the new while racing dial Speedy with the newer movement but similar dial layout as the 9300 models. I was actually surprised how thin it actually was. I thought I remember the 9300 models being very thick. I know Govberg has some preowned 9300 Speedys in stock so maybe I’ll have to give them a look. The blue titanium one would be cool since I don’t own a titanium watch.

zak57 wrote:
Well for me it would be the Omega Mark 2 Speedy but being a bit of a boring bloke it’d be the black face. I loved that Tudor when I first saw it but I knew I’d tire of it. The moonwatch is an iconic piece but I like a date complication. I’m after a new piece myself but I’m after a JLC Hometime.

I think the black dial would be a safer bet than the racing dial. It’s kind of how I feel with the traditional moon watch. I agree when Fred said all collections should include one but I’m just thinking it could be a catch and release. Every watch I’ve owned without a date, I’ve sold them within a year or 2.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Nice options there Justin!

Tudor - Personally I'm a big fan of Tudor but, as you pointed out, I've always felt there's a lot of empty "real estate" on the Tudor Heritage Chrono dial. I always think this one is actually crying out for a cyclops over the date like the original 71XX's. As others have said, the blue 'Monte Carlo' is very flat in person as the subdials are just printed. Personally I prefer the black 'Homeplate' Heritage Chrono (https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/heri ... 0330n-0005) as the subdials are textured, so it gives the dial a bit more life.

Omega MKII - This is one I've actually always liked way more in pictures than in person. In pictures it has that really cool 70's-style vibe, but in person I've just never been wowed by it.

Speedy - An undoubted classic in the watch world, and it's very tough to go wrong with the Speedy. That said, it's a slightly ubiquitous choice and (and the purists will hate this! :wink: ) no matter how much history it has I'm just not a fan of Hesalite, plus I prefer the convenience of autos as opposed to manual-winds. My absolute favourite Speedy (by a country mile and then some) is the Moonphase Chrono (https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... 0445201001), but sadly it's twice the price of the classic Speedy. :?

So out of those three, I'd go Speedy first, then the Tudor, and last the MkII

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

My gut instinct is telling me to go with the Tudor. I loved it when it was introduced and live it every time I try it on. I really want to like the Mark 2 and I do when I try it on, but it’s something I could see a few years down the road not getting any wrist time. It might be a different story if I look at the black dial version. I can get the depth and the lumed tachy but with a dial that may have a more last appeal.

I really liked the domed hesalite on the Sleedy but the dial lacked the wow factor. I do like the fact it’s a manual wind and I don’t own one of those, but I need to get over my fear of not having a date. I like the idea of having it sit there and winding it up each time I wear it, but it just doesn’t have a date. Size wise it was perfect and very comfortable on the wrist.

I’m leaning towards the Tudor and will probably consider the other 2 as my next purchase if I can get a good deal on something preowned. I’d still love to keep the discussion going though.

Dare I ask if there is anything else I should consider? Keep in mind that I’m looking at pieces with a retail price of $6K or under. I’ve looked again at the SOHCII and can maybe justify that on rubber with a deployant clasp, but that would be a stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
Dare I ask if there is anything else I should consider?

Seems how you asked, how about going a little outside the box!

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/ ... 38530.html

MSRP is over your budget but I am sure that you could do some negotiating or look for a pre-owned one at Govberg's!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

56scooter wrote:
jnelson3097 wrote:
Dare I ask if there is anything else I should consider?

Seems how you asked, how about going a little outside the box!

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/ ... 38530.html

MSRP is over your budget but I am sure that you could do some negotiating or look for a pre-owned one at Govberg's!

The sector dial Master compressors are really nice but I don’t think they have a bracelet option. The blu strap looks good it I at least need an option for a bracelet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:18 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Tried on this today and fell in love.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

What color is the dial?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
dial and bezel are blue, Jim. like the last design changes to the dial, very clean and uncluttered now, Driver8 may think too much empty space?

Justin, size fits you perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:57 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Thanks, Fred. Almost looked dark silver in the photo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
That looks aweosme Justin!! What did you think of the bracelet after trying it on again? I personally think the bracelet perfectly compliments the watch and it will be a very different and unique bracelet compared to what you have in your collection already.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk