All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: New Rolex SeaDweller
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:26 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:
43mm...hmmm....actually for Rolex design 40mm seems already the right size IMO...for daily users....well for divers the size justifies. If they retain the 40mm size then the Sub would seem obselete.

One of the few times I actually agree with you. In regards to 40mm being the sweet spot for for daily users.

Well personally I'd say that the "perfect size" of watch is entirely dependent on wrist size.

There's no way (all other preferences being equal) that one size of watch is just as perfect for a 6" wrist as it is for an 8" wrist. After all, walking would be pretty uncomfortable if there was only one size of shoe that was considered perfect for everyone! :wink:

Personally I'd like to see Rolex go down the Omega route and offer more models in two sizes to cater for different wrists. They've done that with the Yachtmaster, but chose the peculiar choices of 37mm and 40mm. I'm sure that a 40mm and 42mm combination would've been very warmly received.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Driver8 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:
43mm...hmmm....actually for Rolex design 40mm seems already the right size IMO...for daily users....well for divers the size justifies. If they retain the 40mm size then the Sub would seem obselete.

One of the few times I actually agree with you. In regards to 40mm being the sweet spot for for daily users.

Well personally I'd say that the "perfect size" of watch is entirely dependent on wrist size.

There's no way (all other preferences being equal) that one size of watch is just as perfect for a 6" wrist as it is for an 8" wrist. After all, walking would be pretty uncomfortable if there was only one size of shoe that was considered perfect for everyone! :wink:

Personally I'd like to see Rolex go down the Omega route and offer more models in two sizes to cater for different wrists. They've done that with the Yachtmaster, but chose the peculiar choices of 37mm and 40mm. I'm sure that a 40mm and 42mm combination would've been very warmly received.

Ok I forget that we are in a forum and I really should be more specific when I make these comments.

For most guys the average wrist size is around 6.75 to 7.5 inches in circumference. Although I don't have any scientific evidence to back this I have asked other watch friends and regular friends for their wrist sizes. Most of the people I have asked in the Rolex forums seem to fall under this sizing as well.

In this case 40 mm works quite well. Even on bigger wrists the maxi case of the new subs and gmt seem to fair well for most watch wearers.

But yes driver I agree that not all watch wearers like or should wear a 40 mm watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Ok I forget that we are in a forum and I really should be more specific when I make these comments.

For most guys the average wrist size is around 6.75 to 7.5 inches in circumference. Although I don't have any scientific evidence to back this I have asked other watch friends and regular friends for their wrist sizes. Most of the people I have asked in the Rolex forums seem to fall under this sizing as well.

In this case 40 mm works quite well. Even on bigger wrists the maxi case of the new subs and gmt seem to fair well for most watch wearers.

But yes driver I agree that not all watch wearers like or should wear a 40 mm watch.

Yes, I was obviously being a little pedantic there :wink: , and it wasn't a dig at you guys at all, but from a personal perspective the perfect size for me (or rather what I feel comfortable with), even for a daily wearer, is a little larger than 40mm. I have never understood how the hardcore Rolex-forum guys can say that a 40mm watch looks equally perfect on a guy with 6" inch wrists as it does on someone with an 8" wrist. And yet when a guy with an 8" wrist wears something in the 44mm range it is somehow considered to be "gauche and unsophisticated", even though it still wears smaller on him than the 40mm watch does on the 6" guy. I've never understood it. :huh To me it's like clothes - you need to wear what fits you. And I maintain that Rolex have missed a trick for many years by not offering much in the slightly larger range.

My wrists are just shy of 7.75" and my BLNR is right at the lower limit of what I feel comfortable with and even that's only because of the super-case making it feel a little larger. To my mind the identically sized Daytona for example looks and feels ridiculous on me. The SD43 really is my "perfect" Rolex in terms of size, so I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Personally I find the thickness of a watch is the dimension I have much less tolerance of. That dimension alone effectively writes-off the entire Omega PO range for me! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Driver8 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Yes, I was obviously being a little pedantic there :wink: , and it wasn't a dig at you guys at all, but from a personal perspective the perfect size for me (or rather what I feel comfortable with), even for a daily wearer, is a little larger than 40mm. I have never understood how the hardcore Rolex-forum guys can say that a 40mm watch looks equally perfect on a guy with 6" inch wrists as it does on someone with an 8" wrist. And yet when a guy with an 8" wrist wears something in the 44mm range it is somehow considered to be "gauche and unsophisticated", even though it still wears smaller on him than the 40mm watch does on the 6" guy. I've never understood it. :huh To me it's like clothes - you need to wear what fits you. And I maintain that Rolex have missed a trick for many years by not offering much in the slightly larger range.

My wrists are just shy of 7.75" and my BLNR is right at the lower limit of what I feel comfortable with and even that's only because of the super-case making it feel a little larger. To my mind the identically sized Daytona for example looks and feels ridiculous on me. The SD43 really is my "perfect" Rolex in terms of size, so I cannot wait for mine to arrive.

Personally I find the thickness of a watch is the dimension I have much less tolerance of. That dimension alone effectively writes-off the entire Omega PO range for me! :lol:

Driver I totally agree about thickness. This will make or break a watch for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Driver I totally agree about thickness. This will make or break a watch for me too

Absolutely. It's therefore maddening that manufacturers so routinely specify the diameter but not the thickness of a watch - often, when a watch is released (as with the SD43), punters on forums often have to resort to begging early adopters to get the calipers out. The SD43 appears to be the same thickness as the preceding SD4000, and I note that quite a few who have or have handled both think that the new watch carries it better, given the wider bracelet.