The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
I was wondering if anyone owned a Rolex DSSD they could post some pics of? At some point I will be in the market for another watch and it is currently between two/three VERY different models. Rolex DSSD, Navi 46mm, and Navi GMT. I am not a big Rolex guy by any means. But for some reason I am really drawn to the DSSD. Maybe it is the bat$h!t insane engineering of it all or because it isn't your "typical Rolex" but I am really not sure. I am planning on going to at least try it on this weekend to see if the 44mm case is not to small for me. I have always loved the Navi but at 43mm has always been way to small for me. With the new 46mm and GMT coming out I knew it was time. I think I have eliminated the Navi GMT though since it has the same movement as the Chronomat GMT but basically can't get wet. I think this is what is really holding me back on the Navi to begin with. I don't do a lot of water sports or anything but I feel I would always have that water resistance issue in the back of my mind. I am also afraid that the Navi isn't as "tough" as I would need it to be. I never know what I will get into at work and am afraid of having a watch that can't take a small blow if it happens. As you can see in my signature I do like the larger watches. I would like to add some variance to my collection and I think the Navi would be a perfect fit but for the reasons listed above it has stopped me. Hence why I am leaning towards the DSSD based on its pure fact of over engineering and NO cyclops.

Past:
Black Dial Super Avenger with Numerals
Countless "high priced" cheapos

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:36 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I am personally aiming for the Navi 46mm and feel that it has got to be one of the best Navis ever made. Full retention of design with transparent caseback and black date wheel(the white date wheel was what prevented me from jumping on the Navi 01 LE).

However for your situation I think DSSD might indeed be a better choice to add to your collection. Will be good if you can buy both:p

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:22 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
As you said, it's an impressive piece of engineering.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:56 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
It's the one Rolex that I have listed over since the release of it. I will OEM one one day, they are very tough good looking watches.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

[quote="Brisman"]As you said, it's an impressive piece of engineering.

Thank you for the photos, it is appreciated. I actually ended up going to an AD yesterday and tried it on. I have to say I think it looks much better on your wrist than it does mine. I liked it but I didn't fall in love with it (yet). I am going to give it a few weeks and head back to try it and a Navi 46mm on as well. With the Navi I am just so drawn to it. It is just such a timeless design in now a larger case. I think it might be to hard to pass up as I have been waiting for this exact Navi model for a long while now (Specs as you know are great) What surprised me the most was how ridiculously light the DSSD was for a 44MM and 17.7mm thick watch. I literally couldn't believe I was wearing something that is supposed to be so tough and indestructible and weighed next to nothing. I know this is the goal sought out by Rolex to keep everything lightweight and very comfortable to wear all day. But I have to say for me it almost for lack of a better term "cheapened" a $12K watch for me. I guess I just expected it to be much heavier and feel "rich" I guess??? I do like a heavier watch but I can def see the advantage of a bracelet that fits so well and a watch that is so light. I guess it would be something I would get used to as I wear it. I think I would find it hard going from my SA and 6.75 to the DSSD just based on weight alone, what a problem to have huh :D . I just wish the Navi had a little more water resistance for my own piece of mind. If it did I am not to sure I would even be completing the DSSD.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Past:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Chronomat01LE wrote:
I am personally aiming for the Navi 46mm and feel that it has got to be one of the best Navis ever made. Full retention of design with transparent caseback and black date wheel(the white date wheel was what prevented me from jumping on the Navi 01 LE).

However for your situation I think DSSD might indeed be a better choice to add to your collection. Will be good if you can buy both:p

Ha, I wish I could go buy both. That would solve everything. :D I cannot wait for that Navi to hit my AD so I can go drool over it. I just hope it is everything in person that I am making it out to be.

Past:

Time2time likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:36 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
Hi, interesting comments on the weight.

What I would say is that you have heavy watch there in the SA, heavier than most at 270 grams.

I wouldn't call the DSSD light but after wearing the SA, it's giving that perception.

Here's some approximates from memory:

Super Avenger - 270 grams
DSSD - 220 grams
Sea Wolf - 225 grams
Planet Ocean Chrono. - 250 grams
Planet Ocean XL - 220 grams

I think you will find the new Navitimer a lot lighter than these other watches.

Looking forward to your comments on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
If your on Instagram then search for the relevant hashtag. Lots of pics on there, also on the Rolex Forum.

Here's a few of mine:

Circa 2006 Submariner date (not mine) v DSSD:

Omega PO9300 v DSSD:

SD4000 v DSSD:

DSSD:

Casio GWF-1000 Frogman

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:52 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
I was told by an AD that a lot of the owners of DSSD's complain and get a sub-c. Not sure if its true but should be considered. Apparently it wears really uncomfortably and top heavy according to them.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

coltstrong wrote:
I was told by an AD that a lot of the owners of DSSD's complain and get a sub-c. Not sure if its true but should be considered. Apparently it wears really uncomfortably and top heavy according to them.

Typical salesman talk???

There's plenty of people who love their DSSD's, myself included. Yes there are those that find flaws with it, but so do owners of Subs and SD's.

Look at how many of each watch is available on the second hand market ;)

The main advantage to wearing the DSSD regularly is the glidelock clasp. It can be adjused during the day if your wrist expands or contracts. The Sub-C has glidelock too but the watch might be too small for the OP.

Casio GWF-1000 Frogman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:07 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
so can you wear it as an everyday watch without comfort issues? Its a pretty big cool rolex that should age well, I was just worried when an AD told me not to get it. Also what about the Seadweller 4000 116600 better ref number, and it looks clean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

coltstrong wrote:
so can you wear it as an everyday watch without comfort issues? Its a pretty big cool rolex that should age well, I was just worried when an AD told me not to get it. Also what about the Seadweller 4000 116600 better ref number, and it looks clean

It's all relative.

If someone has larger watches in their collection then there wouldn't be much change in sensation when wearing a DSSD.

But if someone has a thin dress watch, moving to a DSSD will feel uncomfortable. Then it's a compromise of whether the owner sticks with it and gets used to it, or gets rid of it.

The DSSD is like a hyper car. Compromised for everyday use but still feels special and is something that a lot of people strive towards.

Casio GWF-1000 Frogman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
coltstrong wrote:

Not sure where that AD got that idea from. I had a Deepsea myself for a while and found it perfectly comfortable if you adjust the bracelet correctly. (And by "correctly", I mean tight enough not to flap about, but obviously not so tight as to leave a mark).

As it is, I sold mine as I actually found it a little boring after a while.... but it had nothing to do with comfort.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 28 posts
The problem I had with the DSSD was that I found the bracelet between the lugs too small with 21 mm for a watch this size and thickness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Brisman wrote:
Hi, interesting comments on the weight.

What I would say is that you have heavy watch there in the SA, heavier than most at 270 grams.

I wouldn't call the DSSD light but after wearing the SA, it's giving that perception.

Here's some approximates from memory:

Super Avenger - 270 grams
DSSD - 220 grams
Sea Wolf - 225 grams
Planet Ocean Chrono. - 250 grams
Planet Ocean XL - 220 grams

I think you will find the new Navitimer a lot lighter than these other watches.

Looking forward to your comments on it.

I appreciate the breakdown. Funny that the weight of the PO is less than my SA. When I tried on the PO XL I found that to be really top heavy in comparison. Good to know these weights though. That 50 grams between my SA and the DSSD is really a hug difference for sure.

I wonder what the weight on the Navi 46mm is? the weight is not so much the issue with me. I just expected the DSSD to weight more thats all. I figured the Navi would weigh a lot less than any of my current collection for sure. But it is a different kind of watch for a different application. I know the DSSD and the Navi 46mm are frankly well incomparable in what they both offer. I have yet to have a chance to try on the Navi 46mm as I am afraid that I will fall in love with it as soon as I try it on and be forced to buy it. Which at this point is not remotely in the cards. When I tried on the DSSD for the first time I think I came up with more negatives than positives to own it for now.

Past:

Last edited by superavenger13 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.