Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
http://www.thestreet.com/story/12669490 ... rolex.html

I admit that I don't know much about horology, but this article certainly made me think that I understand more than its author.

Frederique Constant 306G4S6

WTB/TF:
JLC 1548420

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
He is out of his mind and clearly does not understand fine watch nuts, like us. If his thesis were sound, smart phones would have killed Swiss watches a long time ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
I don't believe these smart watches will ever be a success. Of course there are some geeks out there who are going to strap such a thing on their wrist but I don't think it's a mass market. Maybe it's like the e-books and e-book readers: For over a decade they keep telling us the print media is about to die. But when on a bus or train I hardly see anybody carrying an e-book reader.
A fine watch is much more than just a time telling tool...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:53 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
I have an IT geek friend with one. Of the many "watch" screens, one is rather funny - "It's about 8:45," "Yeah it's like 9:30-ish."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Rolex, Omega, oh yes, Breitling too are fundamentally pieces of jewellery.
It is difficult to classify them as practical timing devices when a $50 Timex will do a job much better.
Would you be seen wearing one? No? Why not?
For the same reason that my wife will spend $X000 on a Gucci leather handbag but will not be seen dead with a $70 perfectly made leather handbag from K-Mart, minus the Gucci logo ;-)
Jewellery and prestige will always be in demand. Sad but true.
Of course us WIS are not that superficial and we fully appreciate the history, heritage, craftsmanship, etc.. that goes into it all and understand what 99% of the population do not ;-)
Apple iWatch or whatever they call it may become a fab for a while and sell like hot cakes and Apple better capitalise on it while they can but it has no chance in hell replacing the likes of Rolex, Omega oh, yes even Breitling.
Just like 17 K-Mart or Target handbags have no chance in hell replacing my wife's one Gucci handbag.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Clearly not in touch with the reality of the high end watch industry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I haven't felt like reaching through the screen and slapping someone in quite a while but his article sure made me want to today. I am new to watches but already have a real appreciation for the amount of craftsmanship that goes into producing the tiny little machine on my wrist and I work in IT. I really enjoy my Fitbit and would love something that could do heart rate and blood pressure, but I certainly don't want that to be my watch. I feel smug at our IT meetings because I am the only one who doesn't have a cell phone or computer out, just my Navitimer or Speedmaster on the table, a notepad and a pen.

Frederique Constant 306G4S6

WTB/TF:
JLC 1548420

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
A laughable article on so many levels. Definitely a case of, "if you've got nothing useful (or indeed accurate) to say, say nothing at all".

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Interesting point of view, although one I reject on the basis that I have read many more prophets of the future who were more persuasive than this. He missed 2 important considerations.

1. A great deal of the watch wearing public have more than one watch, and for good if irrational reasons. How many people do you know that have more than one smart phone and choose a different model to suit what they are doing at any one time in the day? Me neither.

2. He believes a wrist watch is primarily for telling the time, and that listening to music or taking pictures or receiving data content is really more important, :uplaugh: so why not do it on your wrist? How contemporary.

I will be impressed when they have invented a single syringe shot to the neck that loads all the data, music and video content you could wish and plays it directly through your eyes and ears. "Come on smart phone designers, what's the hold up!" Until then its just a very small devise on my wrist!

In the future, when you see one of these devises (in what will then be archive footage), we will be able to date the era in which it was made. Bit like a lot of stuff that has comes and goes and the fads we all have all gone through.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
It doesn't even sound like he knows how much Rolex' sell for. I mean 1k is not going to eat Rolex' lunch, it may take some from the lower end of the luxury watch market or the high end of the fashion market, Fortis Oris Omega Breitling. Apple couldn't even poach experts from a real watch brand, they got burberry's guy... It tells you what they are going for and its not Rolex & Patek.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:21 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
I stopped reading after the title, which is absurd. I think Jim Cramer needs to find a better writer.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
coltstrong wrote:
Apple couldn't even poach experts from a real watch brand, they got burberry's guy... It tells you what they are going for and its not Rolex & Patek.

thats very interesting colt strong. where did you hear this from? not doubting you just find that interesting.

i wonder if its a case of Apple not being able to poach someone or the fact that when they did meet up with the who's who of horology that they just couldn't see eye to eye. grabbing a guy from burberry is also quite telling. the idea of taking someone from burberry to create what Apple CEO Tim Cook said and I quote "for Apple to disrupt the wearable market, the product has to be a must-have" and not merely a want" seems to be the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

I know tons of people both WIS and regular that strive to own a fine time piece. I have yet to find anyone that strives to own burberry. enough said

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
boogiebot wrote:
I know tons of people both WIS and regular that strive to own a fine time piece. I have yet to find anyone that strives to own burberry. enough said

Unfortunately, in my experience most people in my age bracket (18-25) want more recognition than quality when they spring for a luxury item. That's why Burberry has gotten huge with my age bracket; it's conspicuous consumption and loved by all ostentatious youths looking for "swagger". And now, Burberry is the benchmark for "swagger." The people I talk to are always more interested in my Burberry wallet than either of the "fine time pieces" that I wear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
He must be Gen Y.

BREITLING Super Avenger (Sold)
OMEGA Planet Ocean XL (Sold)
SEIKO Fifty Five Fathoms Mod
SEIKO Orange Monster
SEIKO Black Monster (Traded)
TISSOT PRC 200

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The funniest part is the author seems to think Apple is still an innovative company.

sent from my Note 3