The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
The watch may be one you still own or one you no longer own. Some of us, Roff comes to mind, keep every watch we buy. Others, no one really comes to mind :oops: , tend to dispose of watches like empty soup cans. Of all the watches owned, which one do you consider your favorite? Price or prestige might be irrelevant. Whichever it is, what was special about it to rank as your favorite of all time?

I'll start - the blue dial Breitling CSO, because it was my first real timepiece and I couldn't stop looking at it (until I sold it two months later!).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Easy for me (and yes I still own it).

American Waltham model 1861 from 1870

Why, well, nothing to do with the watch, it's because of the case. 18k gold, and, well, I think it speaks for itself:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
This is tough.

There are a few candidates. I owned my GMT the longest, loved it madly until I really started to get into a wider variety of watches, at which point I realized how tinny the bracelet was. The most comfortable, and this is no contest, was my Yachtmaster. Something about the bracelet, more than just SE links, and the weight/height of the watch head made for perfect balance. Most in awe of, was the Breguet. Most versatile is my Chronomatic SE. There's nothing in terms of strap or bracelet that won't work with it. Most beautiful, in my eyes, was my AP, followed very closely by the SE and my Bluesy Sub. The AP with sleeves was awesome, just a bit small with short sleeves.

OK, it's down to the AP, GMT, Chronomatic SE, and Bluesy. By a nose, I'll say AP 15202 white dial over the Chronomatic SE and GMT in a virtual tie, the Bluesy just behind. And tomorrow I just might change the order, the SE continues to grow on me.

Today, at this moment:

But just behind:
Image[/URL[URL=http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/ScottinArizona/media/IMAG0166_zps193777e6.jpg.html]Image[/URL[URL=http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/ScottinArizona/media/Hall%20of%20Prior%20Ownership/IMG_20110715_113116.jpg.html]Image

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:18 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
sharkman wrote:
Others, no one really comes to mind :oops: , tend to dispose of watches like empty soup cans.

*cough, cough* Sergio *cough, cough*
:poke:

Personally, this is an easy choice for me - the Omega Ploprof 1200. Yes it's not wildly popular, and yes it's not even wildly practical (although I do wear it to the office), but it's totally unique.

To me, the original Ploprof (the 600) was the ultimate and purest expression of function over form. Everything about it was designed to do one job - to stay working under water at all costs, and thereby save the diver's life. That watch came from an era before dive computers, and all the diver had was his watch.

The 1200 is an absolutely superb re-imagining of the original 600. It retains all the "tool watch" looks and personality of the original, albeit with a very welcome high-end finish to it, and it actually improves on the original's technical abilities. It's also the perfect size for me, and houses a superb in-house movement. In fact (and I was thinking about this just the other day), it's the only watch I've ever owned that I simply cannot fault in any way! (Even the dreaded 4:30 date is executed perfectly, and I wouldn't have it anywhere else on the dial on this watch!).

I could wax lyrical about this piece for ages, and one day (when I have the time) I'll do a proper review of it, but for now I'll just say it's my favourite watch of all time.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:38 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
This is my favourite watch.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:00 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Mine is the Unitime Pilot I am wearing now, followed by the Chronomat GMT. The Navitimer World is definitely up there as well, those are the top 3.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:08 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Right now it's my Sub. It's the most comfortable and versatile watch I've owned. The papers are all dated with my son's birthday so it makes it extra special. Before the Sub came along, it was my Colt GMT.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
My first Breitling. Lusted after it for months while i saved. Sadly it was stolen, but I still keep an eye out on Ebay and local sales boards for it.

This was my second. Also stolen but now returned!

I guess for me, none of my later watches have generated the same excitement or affection as these first two.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:22 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Non other than my grail...

Chronomat 01 Limited Edition

Reasons? Too many but some of them below...

Heritage:
It might not have the long history and heritage as many watches, but it's a legend born in our era. The descendent of a model that brought the name, "Breitling" back to life since 1984. The first head to toe Breitling watch that will become a legendary classic many years later. Also I think the most "polarizing" watch in history that most WIS have been ranting about since the day it was launched;p

Functionality and Technical Beauty:

As much as I appreciate "less is more", I love technical watches, and the many things that we can do with it other than telling time. This watch has all the functions that I will use for my everyday life. Somehow Breitling managed to stuff all the information into the watch while still about to maintain the highest level of legibility on it. The perfect balance of form and function IMO.

Movement and Transparent Caseback:

The aesthetic beauty of the movement. That's what makes people obsessed with mechanical watches and not quartz isn't it? My favorite watch has to have a transparent caseback for me to admire the movement. I also personally like the aesthetics of this movement the most among so many I have seen.

Rarity:

While limited edition of 2000 is not really limited. I know that not more than 2000 in the whole world has the same thing on their wrists. That's still pretty special enough for me. It is still a mainstream model to me whose design is the same as the regular series, but yet a limited one. I personally dislike limited editions that are linked to a person or team, since I am not attached to them at all. So this watch is perfect for me as it is a mainstream model but with a limited combo version. More identity too as it is recognizable immediately with it's combo instead of so many variations out there. Its LE number is my year of birth which makes it more special for me.

Aesthetics and attention to detail:

Black and red. My favorite dial combo. I dislike round edges as they take away the high-end look IMO. This has all the sharp ends, whether on the hands or hour markers, and they are very precise. Makes the whole piece look very sharp and instrumental. There are many details on the watch to admire at. I personally love watches with subtle details that can change under different light conditions. Despite many haters of the bezel and the centre square, I absolutely love the way they are "invisible " in dimmer environment and subtly appear and become obvious under bright condition to create a cyber and futuristic impression.

not forgetting many other details that you don't really see until you really zoom in to every detail. One example is the bezel where it is tactically slanted from one rider tab to another to facilitate gripping when turning the bezel.

Originality:

Many feels that the bezel fonts or centre dial square will go "out of style", but in order for it to go out of style, it has to be "in trend" in the first place, but it is never in trend. Ceramics, DLCs, rubber inserts are in trend, but the buck roger bezel is never "in trend" as so far only the mainstream Chronomats are adopting it as their identity. To me they are original, and makes them look uniquely different from a conventional looking chronograph watch. The only issue is whether you like it or you don't. I personally like it's originality and feel that it's timeless and in a class of it's own.

Versatility:

Call it a pilot watch, call it a diver watch. Any straps/bracelet, any outfit. It's hard to find another piece with such versatility.

In a nutshell, I love every part of it in every aspect, which makes it my grail and my favorite of all time. :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
I have to say my Sub as well. It sits so well on my wrist, doesn't move, quick easy bracelet adjustment, ceramic bezel that will look new in twenty years and all the rest. It's the one for me. Now, if we are talking most sentimental... then that's the AT 8500. The watch I bought when my second daughter was born. I plan on keeping all of my watches forever, so please don't tell them I have favorites....

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:03 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 20 posts
My yellow Pogue gets the most wrist time and most people seem to love it when I'm out n about

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
subc for me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
JLC navy seals alarm! LE of 19. So mad I sold this one and the buyer won't sell it back to me :guns: :guns:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
My Breitling Montbrillant 1903.

I was drawn to Breitling from an early age. A time when I had just started to really appreciate fine timepieces. From the very start I loved the brand, the marketing (watches for Pilot's) and most importantly at the time, the iconic look of the Navitimer, and that hasn't changed throughout the years. The 1903 was my first step into the luxury world of timepieces, and this forum in fact, and I couldn't be happier. I can't imagine this piece ever not being my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
My favorite is my blackbird blackeye blue. I love the brushed finish, the symmetry of the 3,6,9 sub dial layout with the big date and the pop of color the blue face provides. And the beveled edge bracelet is my favorite bracelet of all time as well. It also helps that my wife bought this for me as a wedding present which means this is one watch that I'm not allowed to sell :)