Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Since there are a lot of knowledgeable people here as well (I asked the same questions on some other , I thought more specific Breguet, boards but got mixed responses) I am asking here as well

I have the opportunity to buy this Breguet type 20 but before I proceed I wanted to get some opinions
I dont have a caseback shot yet but will get one soon

do you see anything blatantly incorrect on this piece that would discourage you from buying it ?

the caseback is virginal , no 5101/54 engravings , no warranty 'FG' engravings , nothing

after inquiring at Breguet received the following :

"According our sales registers, the Breguet N° xxxx is a chronograph, movement 14 lines, fly-back function, stainless steel case, 30-mn register,
black dial, rotating bezel. Completed in 1953. Sold on February 23, 1953 to Mr xxxxx (for a price unknown).
The watch has been serviced several times at Breguet according the small numbers (for example 902 CXLVI)."

(xxx's added by me to protect the identity of the watch a little bit if that is needed)

Looks like a civilian piece sold before the 1954 army contract ?
Would these be as sought after as the military , more (Because its pre military contract) or less (because its not a military piece?)
Or would you not buy this one at all for some reason ?

Don Indiano's website is a good read , but still too generic to answer my questions as it doesnt go into much detail nor does it state all the intricacies that is needed to form an opinion on this particular piece

As Breguet have confirmed they build and sold this watch in 1953 I am 99% sure I'll pull the trigger on this one as its a great addition to my other pilot watches

Fred and I discussed this watch and according to Fred its a 'must buy' and who am I to argue with Fred ? ;-) , still , I am out of my comfort zone on these so I am looking for as many opinions , on authenticity or concerns, as possible

thanks
Rene

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Fred's right - it's a must buy!

Military pieces tend to be more collectable, but not sure whether that means more valuable, I don't follow pricing enough. Not an expert by a long shot but I see nothing obviously wrong with it and would be happy to have it in my collection.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
and you should message Roff the price ........

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:36 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 20 posts
Good god man BUY, BUY, BUY, it is a beautiful watch,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

WatchFred wrote:
and you should message Roff the price ........

Prices are subjective , if the piece is franken its too much , if its genuine its an acceptable price ;-)

(But i'll send Roff a pm :-) )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Supermoto wrote:
Good god man BUY, BUY, BUY, it is a beautiful watch,

Well, thats the other thing. IMO its not 'beautifull' , its a very functional watch , designed with a very specific purpose in mind from a company that has been making timepieces for many centuries . So it has a lot of horological significance but it cant hold a candle to the (for example) Breitling pieces of the same era

But I am biased of course ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I know only one thing. What a beautiful condition for a 1953 watch. And Breguet have the history of purchase and service ? I can understand the caution based upon what you have, what a fantastic piece.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I meant to say " but based upon what you have, what a fantastic piece.". In other words, buy!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Dracha, based on simililar breguet xx that went through auction it seems the crown is wrong, and the breguet seems wrong on the dial- the final embellishment on the t should be tighter and not as curved. The bezel doesn't look correct but i can't be sure. The chrono pushers don't look original either. I also think the chrono hands are wrong. But by no means take what I say as gospel, I'm going on type xx models sold at auction, models made between 1953-57.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

dinobaggio wrote:
Dracha, based on simililar breguet xx that went through auction it seems the crown is wrong, and the breguet seems wrong on the dial- the final embellishment on the t should be tighter and not as curved. The bezel doesn't look correct but i can't be sure. The chrono pushers don't look original either. I also think the chrono hands are wrong. But by no means take what I say as gospel, I'm going on type xx models sold at auction, models made between 1953-57.

Thank you, your assessment is in line with what some others have said (multiple opinions as always)

The only arguments against it are

Crown is a civilian version , not military, so so not an 'onion' crown
Bezel might be correct as all 'younger' (1954 and younger) have a slightly different bezel , might be due to age/version ? I simply dont know
Hands/pushers ? I assume this can be corrected by Breguet when I get it serviced and get the certificate ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:21 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Yep I know where you are coming from, I've seen a similar crown on the breguet xx 1954 (from memory), I'm a bit concerned that the dial has been redone with breguet added, the reason I say this is because the b looks closer to the 11 than the t to the 1, the t doesn't look correct as said before, and the breguet seems too close to the 12, though as a disclaimer the picture angle could be distorting my perception. A straight on pic would help. Regards the bezel, I've seen a similar one, but
On a military version with no Breguet mark on dial. If any of that helps Dracha! It does look nice though!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Why would someone add the Breguet to the military dial? would it be better to take it off? seems a shame really or might a mix of both versions have slipped through, and are onion crowns pretty easy to source?.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Supermoto wrote:
Why would someone add the Breguet to the military dial? would it be better to take it off? seems a shame really or might a mix of both versions have slipped through, and are onion crowns pretty easy to source?.

Well, its not a military piece, this particular one was sold prior to Breguet being awarded the military contract and according to the Breguet archives it was sold to an individual and not the french army

Here's a better face shot , I agree the logo looks a bit off . Why ? No idea but I assume the logo was added to a blank dial , like we have seen with some other pieces that were supplied to the military

I am not sure this one should have that onion crown since its not a military piece
Ive seen 1 other civilian watch from 53 , that had this crown , only militaryseem to have the onion crown, most likely for easy winding with gloves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:35 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Looks like a cross somehow between these two. I think it will make a great addition to your collection

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Rene Id say if its less than €5k its a bargain even if it is slightly off original. I think the dial isn't original- the patina and condition looks too virginal, similar auction models have a wonderful old patina. But it looks beautiful and If the money is right then you've got a grand watch! The movement looks fine to, compared to this that went through a french auction in 2011- [attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1396787648725.jpg[/attachment]
The history isn't as well documented as Breitling and there don't seem to be guys like you, Fred, roff, Craig in the breguet world- so it boils down to how much you trust the seller in its history, and the price I suppose- fortunately one thing you have is the provinence from breguet on the sale.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.