It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are big watches passé?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:09 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi -

I haven't posted on BS in a while. I was wondering what everyone thinks about watch sizes? I have two watches - a Steelfish, and a recently purchased Zenith Stratos. My Steelfish was my first, and made me come to like a big, heavy, substantial watch.

Ive liked the Stratos a flyback for a while, and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago. I did a lot of research, tried one on a couple times etc. But apparently I missed something big: On some other sites that have Zenith forums, I almost feel stupid asking questions, because the prevailing opinion is that it's too big. At one of the forums, there's even a sticky put up that tells longtime members not to douse the excitement of new members who buy watches they personally wouldn't touch.

My opinion is that it's an informal sports watch...although it's not a dive watch, it has some of the same attributes. And one of those is large size. If I want to buy a formal watch I'll buy a 38 or 40mm JLC.

So what do you guys think? I'm not going to flip the watch because of this but now I'm a little worried that I got a watch that's a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
Congrats on your new purchase. My opinion is it is your cash, your wrist, your watch. Who really cares what other people think? You did your due diligence, you tried it on multiple times and you fell in love with the watch. We buy these watches because they make us happy. We don't buy them to make sure other people like them. I personally do not wear anything smaller than a 48mm at any given time. My watches range from 48mm-53mm because that is what I like to wear. So buy what you love and wear it in good health. So with the Stratos being 46mm it is to small for me :D :D . Big watches aren't for everyone and small watches aren't for everyone. When I graduated HS I was given a Tag Heuer Kirium as a graduation gift. I believe it was a 39mm-40mm, I wore that watch everyday for 5 years until I purchased my U-Boat and my SA. Now I can't even wear the watch and my wife wears it because it looks like a kids watch on me. Everyone's has different taste and sometimes tastes change. Either way wear it now and just enjoy it. Something caught your eye about it and you didn't have an issue with the size until you saw someone on a forum say it was too big. Might be to large of a watch for them but for you it might be perfect.

Past:
Black Dial Super Avenger with Numerals
Countless "high priced" cheapos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks. You made me feel better. I'm not as suggestible as my post sounds....it's just a lot of money and I don't want to look like a clown wearing it.

I know what you mean about a watch becoming too small. I got a (don't laugh) Movado museum watch when I was in college. Wore it all the time for years. I think the strap broke and I put it in a drawer...maybe 6 or 7 years ago, before I started buying nice watches, I had a new strap put on, but could not wear it because like you said, it looked like a woman's or kids watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well you won't find too many people on a Breitling forum speaking against big watches :-)

My largest watches are 20mm larger than my smallest and I wear them all without concern. As said it's your money and your choice, and let's face it the watch isn't that big by today's standards, or by the standards of the Zenith range from just a few years ago!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:49 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I totally agree with Superavenger13 on this - it's your wrist and your money, and the only person you should buy watches for is you. That's certainly my ethos.

I also certainly don't believe that large watches are passé. Yes, there has been a trend in recent years for there to be more "large" watches on the market, but big watches are nothing new. Take the Chronomatic 1806 for example - made in the late 1960's/early 1970's, and 48mm in diameter. Sure, there weren't as many large watches around back then, but there were still some.... and there will still be some in the future, even when the "fashion of the day" may lean towards smaller watches once more. Like everything it will go in cycles, so I say buck the trend! and if you like large watches then carry on wearing them even if some so-called "experts" tell you it's an alleged fashion faux pas. I know I will certainly carry on wearing the watches I like irrespective of whatever anyone else says.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:12 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
Well you won't find too many people on a Breitling forum speaking against big watches :-)

That's why I came here to post my question... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
i think sizing all depends on the size of your wrist. as long as there is no overhang of the lugs over the ends or you're wrist anything is fair game.

That said IMO at one point it was somewhat cool to wear a big bad ass watch, but once again IMO the only people that can pull off the lug over hang thing are women.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

boogiebot wrote:
i think sizing all depends on the size of your wrist. as long as there is no overhang of the lugs over the ends or you're wrist anything is fair game.

That said IMO at one point it was somewhat cool to wear a big bad ass watch, but once again IMO the only people that can pull off the lug over hang thing are women.

I agree about only women being able to pull off the big watch thing. Something sexy about a big watch on a woman's wrist.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
I for one would thrilled to own and wear a Zenith Stratos! I don't give a Rat's arse what "other people" say/think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:44 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
kevdawg wrote:
I for one would thrilled to own and wear a Zenith Stratos! I don't give a Rat's arse what "other people" say/think.

I second that

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:38 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
At some point the bigger watches like an SA become ridiculous on most any arm. That's not to say some people can't wear them but it's a matter of proportion. For the same reason baggy clothes or Tom Ford suits at opposite ends of the spectrum can look stupid, for the same reason an XXL watch on a small wrist is inappropriate.

If the lugs hang over your wrist bones it's wrong. This isn't a matter of taste, it's a matter of fit.

So it's not about how big the watch is any more than it matters what your shoe size is. I can pull off a SOH 46 but put on an SA and I look like an ASs. You can have wrist presence without looking like a Russian mobster.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I think its good to have an assortment of watches in difference sizes and wear them based on what your doing etc., For example I have a Hublot 44mm that I wear the majority of the time, but for more sportier things I wear the SA Blacksteel and for casual outtings I look to the Motors or GMT. I have a big arm and wrist so even though the SA and Bentley pieces are 48-49mm huge watches it doesnt look funny. Personally I would say 44mm looks great on the average wrist. At the end of the day it is what makes you happy! Wear your time pieces in good health!

Breitling for Bentley GMT Midnight Carbon Black Steel LE 1000
Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Steel
"You gotta pay to play..."
:fulllingclub:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I have a smallish wrist and prefer 40-44mm myself, but I don't think bigger ones look clownish at all. To each his own and the SA with a white dial is a bada** watch IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Anywhere between 40 & 50mm is good for me.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
I think that 40-44 mm size is ideal. I have a few watches over that and under that which I enjoy but everyday every situation enjoyable 40-44mm. Even rolex makes watches in that size and most of their watches are kind of on the classic/small size.