The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Well, I've been waiting to add some additional comments until I had more time. Here we go...

The only thing that has become clear to me in this exercise is that I am the ONLY ONE on this forum with any taste in watches at all ! :bow: :lol: .

What else is there to say? Well, a couple thoughts I guess. First, I'll echo some of the earlier posts on my selection process. Mainly I chose watches that I would personally wear and fit my tastes for size, sportiness and overall aesthetics. This meant that pieces with precious metals, high complications, dressier style, hyped brand name, etc. were out. A lot of the match ups I didn't care for but voted anyway for the least hated (sorry, strong word there). I think I looked back on the elite eight grouping and only saw three pieces that I would wear, and the final four has only one.... yes, that's right, go SPEEDY ! :cheer:
I'll back Scott on this one although I too was surprised it made it this far. And to Shark... to blast the Speedy like he did, well, that is just ******* :evil: , I'll bleep it out so the mods don't have to waste their time. I'm thinking of getting a big bucket of MN. snow and coming down to AZ to dump it on his head, he obviously has suffered some frying of the brain in the hot climate :poke: .

Whew, I'm going outside to cool down now :) . To sum up, I was a little surprised the Navi. 01 didn't go as far like others have said, I don't get AP personally, the new IWC's I am not a fan of, and the Sub never has done anything for me (Shark and I are 180 deg. on the Sub and Speedy). GO and JLC tend to be too over the top although I like some of the super compressor diver designs. For some odd reason I actually like the VC Overseas Chrono :shock: .

Well, someone mentioned something about stirring it up, didn't they?

OK, all's good, did I mention this forum is the best ? Entertaining anyway, :D . We can always blame it on Roff, he started this mess didn't he ? :lol: . Actually, thanks for all the effort Roff!

(Can we lock it now? are we still on the air?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Lock? Are you kidding, Terry? The last twelve hours of reading (and writing) on this have been highly cathartic, the most fun I've had here in a while--and I'm not typically a provocateur.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Scott wrote:
Lock? Are you kidding, Terry? The last twelve hours of reading (and writing) on this have been highly cathartic, the most fun I've had here in a while--and I'm not typically a provocateur.

Yeah, it was getting a little boring around here. Maybe Basel will wake up the masses (with the new designs) again :) .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Kodiak wrote:
. I think I looked back on the elite eight grouping and only saw three pieces that I would wear, and the final four has only one.... yes, that's right, go SPEEDY ! :cheer:
I'll back Scott on this one although I too was surprised it made it this far. And to Shark... to blast the Speedy like he did, well, that is just ******* :evil: , I'll bleep it out so the mods don't have to waste their time. I'm thinking of getting a big bucket of MN. snow and coming down to AZ to dump it on his head, he obviously has suffered some frying of the brain in the hot climate :poke: .

(Can we lock it now? are we still on the air?)

Damn it, Terry, when will you get your frozen noggin' out of you arse? You don't know diddly about watches and you never have, yet you strut about......

Ok, I can't pull it off. The best I can do is :brewing: :brewing:

I'm no good at pouncing. :wink:

But see, wasn't that fun? Besides we all know the BEST watch ever made under $25,000 is the blue dial 13352. :nana:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:46 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Just to let you know that I am aware that the polls have ended. Because I am mobile all day right now I will try and get the final and 3rd / 4th place polls up this evening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Just to let you know that I am aware that the polls have ended. Because I am mobile all day right now I will try and get the final and 3rd / 4th place polls up this evening.

No worries Roff, take your time mate.
There should not be too many surprises left by now ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Yeah, probably right. I was late home yesterday and didn't get to it. Apologies to the 23 people planning to vote.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Final and 3rd / 4th match up are up - viewforum.php?f=25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Apologies to the 23 people planning to vote.

I've voted! I've voted! :lol:

Come on GO!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:51 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
So, I got the honours of being the 22nd and by the looks of it the last voter in this round.
I am happy to see that all the way I have been with the majority of the votes given the fact that my votes have been driven simply by visual appeal all along the way as I have virtually zero detailed knowledge of these pieces except perhaps and to some extend Omega, Rolex (which is also out of the picture/race by now) and of course Breitling that I may know one of two things about thanks to you guys here in this forum.
So now it's down to JLC Master Ultra Thin (beautiful looking watch) and the IWC 7 day.
My money is on the JLC and I would be proud to strap that to my wrist.
For now however, This is the closest I can get to it unless I decide to get rid of several of my Lings in my proud collection.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:33 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Well that's done then.

First thread updated with the top four and congrats to the Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Perpetual, apparently the greatest watch under $25,000 according to the membership of BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:00 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
It would not have been my ultimate choice and I certainly didn't expect it to win here, but I will say we could have done worse than a JLC.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Scott wrote:
It would not have been my ultimate choice and I certainly didn't expect it to win here, but I will say we could have done worse than a JLC.

Agreed. A worthy brand to win the title, but a peculiar result nonetheless.

Thanks for all the hard work on this Roff. I think I speak for all the voters (all 22 of us) when I say we certainly appreciated your efforts as it was clearly time-consuming to set up, especially in the early stages.

Here endeth the first (and no doubt last) BreitlingSource Greatest Watch In The World competition.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Driver8 wrote:
Here endeth the first (and no doubt last) BreitlingSource Greatest Watch In The World competition.

Well, never say never, but certainly not any time soon. 24 votes for the final was incredibly disappointing. I had thought about doing some recurring 'poll' type threads - what's your favourite Basel 2014 release, which watch would you blow $100,000 on, etc, and maybe that will generate more interest, it just seems like we are in a 'down' cycle of engagement levels right now for anything but one or two word posts or 'public private conversations' for want of a better term.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next