The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:29 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Some online dealers sell what is claimed to be authentic Breitlings with Serial numbers removed, presumably by the dealers who don't want to disclose they are selling them below retail. Some of these dealers appear to have a solid reputation.

My question is: Without a serial number how does one go about confirming authenticity? Or, am I simply playing in a game that is inherently dangerous? I am happy to pay more to be sure. The problem is the watch I want is discontinued and I suspect I'll have a hard time finding one at an AD.

Thanks for any advice from those of you with much more knowledge and experience than I. (This is a GREAT site!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:48 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Many online or 'grey market' dealers remove serial numbers to protect the ADs that sell them the watches - the AD would get into trouble from Breitling if it was discovered that they were selling to online dealers.

There are online dealers that sell with serial numbers intact, and there are dealers who sell watches that may have serials intact. Breitling's position is that you should only buy from an AD, and if the paperwork is blank - i.e. no serial number then it gives them an excuse to deny any warranty claim - I don't know if they actually do that, but they could. Incidentally, even if the serial number is intact on the watch it doesn't mean that the paperwork is complete - it may not have the dealer and / or serial number emossed in the warranty certificate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:01 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
If You remove the serial number, You cannot claim any waranty with Breitling or an AD. Removing the serialnumber is in fact no protection for the original AD who forwarded the watch: The number is also on the movement and sometimes "in" the movement. And I would not want a watch, where they have taken out the engraved numbers in the movement. That cannot be good for the watch.

Best greatings

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:37 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thank you for the insight. I've decided to purchase from an AD. The extra cost is well worth the peace of mind. If you shop around you can get good discounts off the list price.