The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Ever since I bought my breitlings I find I don't wear my watches of less value and quality anymore. I have shelved a citizen, seiko, swiss army and kenneth cole. I think I have become a watch snob..lol

Luminox Field Chrono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Ken B wrote:
Ever since I bought my breitlings I find I don't wear my watches of less value and quality anymore. I have shelved a citizen, seiko, swiss army and kenneth cole. I think I have become a watch snob..lol

Seiko Monster, need I say more... :lol:

:lingsrock:

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I actually like Seiko and Citizen (have one myself). But I have peeves against any watch that's tied to a fashion house. (ie. Michael Kors, Kenneth Cole, Armani) But I do like some of the J12s from Chanel and The Chiffre Rouge from Dior.

So I myself don't make any sense at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

You are not alone. I left my Oris in the drawer since I start purchasing $7K+ watches. I even wear those at home and look them under magnifier. I love the details of high end watches. My wife think I am nut.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I wear all sorts of watches from all sorts of price ranges. A £60 G-Shock at one end of the scale, right up to (until I recently sold it) a £10,500 IWC Big Pilot at the other. Sometimes wearing a cheapie watch just makes more sense - gym, beach, travelling, etc. But there are also plenty of low and mid-range watches that I just like to wear.

However, I totally agree with jlee5050 in as much as I'd never entertain a "fashion house" watch. Every watch I own is interesting (to me) in it's own way, and isn't just a name on the dial.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Haven't found a decent watch yet that I would want to wear operating a chain saw so absolutely have a cheap watch or two around to strap on when needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
Ken B wrote:

I am with you, I seem to wear my 5 Breitlings all the time started selling off my cheaper watches, I guess I'm a watch snob also.

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Well undoubtedly I wear the nicer watches more. But I am getting a kick out of some of the cheaper Swiss brands. Something about putting them on and realizing I sank less than a grand that gives me a little thrill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
I'm the same way. In fact, I'm heavily considering giving my brother my automatic Movado as I just don't wear that, or many of my watches any more.

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:13 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
My cheaper ones definitely get significantly less time since my collection went more upscale but I still wear them on occasion and still enjoy them when I put them on.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:23 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I wear a cheap watch for activities with a risk of banging up a watch, and also for seaplane instruction, as it involves climbing in, out, over, and around seaplanes, in and out of the water.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
The 'snob' question is an interesting one. I will say I have, for lack of a better term, "Seiko fatigue" from years of wearing them, though I have one my wife gave me which I will always keep. I'd still maybe consider a Monster but, for example, when I see a Grand Seiko or other upper-level model, I just can't. Citizen is that way with me, too. Don't know if I could own a G-shock now.

If anything, I've become a bit of a "swiss automatic" snob. I have my square Jacques Lemans quartz which is a neat looking piece, just for a day or so here and there, and the rose Tissot T-Race I won is obviously a quartz. Interestingly, I'm not as bothered by a quartz chrono. Not entirely sure why. But I definitely look first and foremost for a swiss automatic. Forced to choose between, say, a quartz Seamaster and a lesser-known but quality Swiss brand with an auto, well, I already chose the latter--and still saved a lot of money.

More than a brand, I may now be a snob for a certain level of build quality and appearance. I don't try to compare anything directly to my Royal Oak but I have some basic standards for overall quality feel and appearance. My Headwind has it and then some, but a growing number of lesser brands are starting to put out nicer products which I feel comfortable wearing in a rotation. I raved about the plank-dial Tag Aquatimer a couple of months ago. Still evaluating the Mido I bought but right now, it makes the cut. I tried on a Tissot Heritage Visodate recently that I wouldn't mind owning. My Luminox Navy Seals Blackout is inexpensive, plastic and quartz, but perfectly purpose-built, and that's the appeal. On the other hand, there are a couple of Breitlings out there which don't cut it for me, though I am probably factoring the cost with the look and feel. I don't think I could go back to a hollow-link bracelet Rolex, or at least I'd have to source an aftermarket end-link bracelet.

As I found out on the WRUW thread, Shark and I are both in the place of seeking out quality, lower profile swiss brands that don't break the bank. It's a challenge, but finding a good one has its own unique satisfaction.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:18 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
I have several Chinese mechanical watches, mainly Sea Gull, in my collection ranging from around $200 to just over a $1000 and I wear them pretty much as often as my Breitlings.
Basically all my watches get rotated fairly evenly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:06 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
Not really...my Citizens and Seikos (which are cool in their own right) essentially act as representatives to break in new straps as I get them using a mold of my wrist. I reason if I am getting a $5k+ watch that I might as well wear it for everything I do and so rather than buying other watches or wearing older ones, I went strap crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
nickzac wrote:
Not really...my Citizens and Seikos (which are cool in their own right) essentially act as representatives to break in new straps as I get them using a mold of my wrist. I reason if I am getting a $5k+ watch that I might as well wear it for everything I do and so rather than buying other watches or wearing older ones, I went strap crazy.

I'm with you on the straps, I purchased 6 24mm breitling straps in the last 3 weeks three crocs and 3 calfskin, love the quality.

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco