It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overpriced Rolex
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:16 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hi everybody,

Yesterday I went to the local Rolex AD as I was seriously considering adding the submariner to my collection. But that was a real disappointment!!!!

Holding the submariner in hand, it feels so cheep (of course in comparison to other solid brands like Breitling or Panerai) especially the steel bracelet and the clasp. If I were not in the showroom of the AD I would have sworn that this is a replica!!! Can you imagine that?! And then they want to charge us around $5,000 for the steel on black dial! Just because of the in-house movement and the 904L steel…come on this is highly over priced (at least as I come to see it from here).

You know what made it even look worse and feeling like cheep piece is that I was taking my mighty Airwolf off to try it on…and hey there is no comparison in the finish and the beauty of the design.

What do you guys think of that?

P.S. I also went to Omega AD to try the seamaster professional and it felt too small as well! Am I being haunted with Breitling or what? :D

Time is precious, keep it with elegance!
-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I agree with you. I do not see the big deal with Rolex, however I will admit I am a rookie. Seems to me I am getting a lot more watch for the money with a Breitling over the Rolex. But thats just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Different strokes for different folks. IMHO you are comparing apples and oranges. If you like Breitling better than Rolex, so be it, but suggesting a Submariner is "cheep" is ridiculous. Do you know anything of the history of the Submariner ? If you don't like the feel of the watch, I can understand that. But if you're suggesting the Submariner is inferior because of its "feel", I certainly don't understand that.
Enjoy you Breitling.

Ernst Benz Chronoscope, M Lacroix GMT,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:19 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

couldn't agree with you more. the "cheep" phrase is subjective based on personal taste, and it is not implying even remotely that Rolex are cheeply built.

However, and IMHO as well, Rolex is a marketing giant and being very successful in that they simply pass such cost down to us and, surprisingly, we happily take it :D

cheers.

-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I totally agree that it'd be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing, but "disappointment" is certainly a good way to described my own personal and reasonably shortlived Rolex experience too - I owned a Submariner LV for about 9 months. (And just so you Rolex fans know, this is just my personal experience and opinion, guys!)

What I would say in defence of the cheap feeling Rolex bracelet (and yeah, it IS very cheap feeling!), is that there are no reports anyway as far as I can tell of it being short-lived or riddled with problems. It appears to be very tough which is maybe somewhat at odds with it's feel.

But anyway what do I know - I'm a fully paid up BREITLING MAN!!! :lol: To me nothing can match having a big polished lump of Breitling steel goodness on your wrist! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

Last edited by Driver8 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I like both brands, and am starting to really like the newer Rolex models. Rolex has the edge in movements since they are a manufacture, while Breitling is not.

NO FLAME WARS. READ:

There are going to be people that are very passionate about their Rolexes and very defensive as well. Discussing this kind of thing in a Breitling forum is easy since you're in a home territory and you will get more supporters... however Rolex owners are used to this kind of talk and I don't want to see a flame war. Lets try and be more diplomatic about it to entice discussion rather than let the dogs out.

Good Way:
"I really prefer the feel of a Breitling Pilot Bracelet over the Rolex Oyster. The Oyster feels cheaper in comparison"

Bad Way:
"I could not believe how cheap and flimsy that Rolex bracelet felt! And they wanted SO MUCH MONEY FOR IT!? It was like highway Robbery! I can't believe they overcharge that much for a peice of crap Rolex! I'll take my Breitling thank you."

In conclusion, its okay to say that you think the rolex feels cheap, but lets not dress it up with too many peacock statements. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, I'm just saying this as a preventative measure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:05 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I like many other members have both, I've also previously owned an airking,sub, TTsub, explorerII, daytona and another sea dweller

the sea-dweller is the only watch I've bought twice.....Value is not an attribute I would add to luxury watches, they are all very bad value compared to a $10 casio which is generally more accurate.

Rolexes don't feel cheap, they feel different to breitlings some prefer one, some prefer the other.....lets all live and let live, united in the love of the luxury watch experience and unanimous in our disdain and hatred of fakes, copies and replicas.

as far as rolex, breitling or whatever goes, I wear them to impress me, no-one else.

only flames from me will be directed at the replica boys!

Stay Happy!

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:48 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Point taken

Ernst Benz Chronoscope, M Lacroix GMT,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:08 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

overdriven with bling love, i must confess :D

at least i can pay respect for the Rolex heritage.

so let us all live in peace and share the passion of our master time-pieces :)

-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Thanks guys :)

Just wanna keep the atmosphere casual and chill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:46 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
For the money, I think some models of Rolex are well worth it. The Submariner being one. The movement is just awesome in my opinion. It's not a noisy Valjoux movement. You can't feel it vibrating on your arm, overal superb quality and water resistance, and styling that has been refined a few times since it went into production in 1953. Something I learned from Driver8: the stainless steel Rolex uses is a higher grade steel than what other watch makers use!

The Submariner, Sea Dweller, and the new Deep Sea Dweller are great diver's watches. I would mention the Daytona, but it's too overpriced in my opinion.

The only thing in my opinion that can be improved is the clasp. It's just outdated, although functional.

If you're looking for a deal on a Submariner, and it's time for a vacation/holiday, I highly recommend visiting Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas, or Playa del Carmen and visiting Ultra Jewels. They took over $1000 off on my purchase of my Submariner.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Flynbyu wrote:
For the money, I think some models of Rolex are well worth it. The Submariner being one. The movement is just awesome in my opinion. It's not a noisy Valjoux movement. You can't feel it vibrating on your arm, overal superb quality and water resistance, and styling that has been refined a few times since it went into production in 1953. Something I learned from Driver8: the stainless steel Rolex uses is a higher grade steel than what other watch makers use!

The Submariner, Sea Dweller, and the new Deep Sea Dweller are great diver's watches. I would mention the Daytona, but it's too overpriced in my opinion.

The only thing in my opinion that can be improved is the clasp. It's just outdated, although functional.

If you're looking for a deal on a Submariner, and it's time for a vacation/holiday, I highly recommend visiting Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas, or Playa del Carmen and visiting Ultra Jewels. They took over $1000 off on my purchase of my Submariner.

~Brian

Agreed, the movement in the Submariner is super quiet.........., and super smooth as well. And as I said above, there never seems to be any reports of bracelet and/or clasp failures, so I guess it is engineered well enough. Certainly not over-engineered, but enough!

Just not for me though.

Site Moderator