Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Black Watch
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:25 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
I've been looking for a black wristwatch for some time now, and I've recently found a rather nice one by PORSCHE DESIGN - anybody have any info on these watches?

I believe it's correct to say they are manufactured by ETERNA.

In terms of what I'm looking for, I like everything in black - case, dial, bezel and bracelet (metal of course!) This has a black titanium bracelet, and the bezel has a 'rubber' treatment to it, the case being anodised alluminium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

That is one lovely clear looking dial treatment for a Chrono....very nice indeed.....if it were made by Seiko or Citizen it would be called the Ninja...somehow I don't think Porsche would go for "SS" :twisted:

I reckon that lume is going to be a good'un too!

Best regards David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I've owned a Porsche Design watch before.. they are really nice watches. The one I had was all Titanium, dont remember the model number though. I've also got an Eterna.. very good value for the money. The black coating does wear off eventually, and keep in mind that Aluminum is much softer than Titaninium or Stainless steel, so it can dent.

Beautiful watch though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:09 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sportback,

How much do those Porsche Design watches cost ? I just bought 2 pairs of their sunglasses and they were $300 each USD.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sportback,

Here's a whole page full of Porsche Design watches from where I bought my sunglasses.

http://www.1888store.com/Merchant2/merc ... Code=WATCH

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:52 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

It's this one, which they have for around $4800 with titanium bracelet - I'm still trying to find a price here in France...pretty sure it won't be as cheap here.

I've seen it on eBay (dealer in Italy) for less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

:shock: Wowzaaa! Thats a lot of dosh for what appears to be a non COSC ETA-2894-2 engine.....even if it has a Porsche 911 inspired rotor hanging inside it :lol:
It sure is nice looking....but difficult to find any more info on the movement other than the rotor customization.....it may look like a genuine porsche alloy wheel, but for that price if I bought four of those "wheels" I could actually find a half decent secondhand example of the real thing :lol:

Best regards David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Yeah.. the porsche design I had cost me $2500 used... I sold it for about the same... just didn't do it for me for the amount of money.. i keep coming back to the Breitlings :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I saw Porsche Design watches being sold in TK Maxx (Same as TJ Maxx or Marshalls in the US) for around £150.

Not as nice as the one you're showing though. Quite nice, even though an all-black watch isnt really my thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:16 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
The watch company Eterna is owned by the Porsche Family. In fact it is owned by the Porsche Design Group (based in Zell am See, Austria), which is owned completely by the Porsche Family. At the Basel fair this April, the heads of the family decided to build up an own manufactory (investment about 50 Million Swiss francs), as the dependency on swatchgroup movements made the production and the marketing more and more difficult for them. Whithin the next 2 years the Porsche Design Collection will change completely. We will look forward to that.
Also the Eterna collection will be completely reworked over the next 5 years. So far, the company was, what I call an "Einschaler" which means someone, who only puts movements into cases, without own production at all. That will change. Availability of PD watches will be somehow limited for the next years, as not all markets will be supplied.
Some years ago, before PD bought Eterna (1995), the PD watches where produced by IWC until 1997. That where very interesting watches, as they where the basic pricesegment of the company. But they where called IWC Porsche Design watches. Before that there was another company, that produced the watches, Orofina (from 1973).

Now there are 2 options for handling PD: Buy it now, where the models are quite reasonable but still high priced for the mediocre product.
Other possiblity would be waiting a few years, until the new collection is available. Own unique manufacture movements, but for sure higher price range.

For my store, I decided to wait. I like seeing a progress instead of a promise...

Greatings
Thomas