The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:52 pm 
Contributing Curmudgeon
Contributing Curmudgeon

Liked in: 1 post
Although the movement in the TwinTech is "in house," does Louis Moinet actually make it, or do they contract with somebody else? And if so, whom?

I ask because they seem more like a design and integration firm and not necessarily one with in-house manufacturing expertise. I suppose it is also possible they have the movement components made for them, but they test and assemble?

///M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Mofongo wrote:
Although the movement in the TwinTech is "in house," does Louis Moinet actually make it, or do they contract with somebody else? And if so, whom?

I ask because they seem more like a design and integration firm and not necessarily one with in-house manufacturing expertise. I suppose it is also possible they have the movement components made for them, but they test and assemble?

///M

To the best of my knowledge it's in house, although I am sure some components are outsourced - that's typical (did you know that there are only a hand full of companies who produce their own tourbillons?). They have watchmakers and are expanding that part of the business - rumour has it they have bought a lot of vintage movments recently to modify into a new line.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:44 pm 
Contributing Curmudgeon
Contributing Curmudgeon

Roffensian wrote:
To the best of my knowledge it's in house, although I am sure some components are outsourced - that's typical (did you know that there are only a hand full of companies who produce their own tourbillons?). They have watchmakers and are expanding that part of the business - rumour has it they have bought a lot of vintage movments recently to modify into a new line.

Hmmmm....The Chronovintage perhaps? http://lmtime.com/watches/chronovintage.php# I wish they gave more information on the movement.

Do you know how many of the Moinet movements are in-house? Obviously, there is the LM01, based on the original design by M. Moinet himself. But it is difficult to divine from their websites if the others movements (e.g. "LM07 - Exclusive Chronograph") are also in-house. For example, I thought I remember you (or somebody) saying that the LM03 or the LM04 were ETA based.

BTW, your high praise of your TwinTech and an amazing price opportunity have led me to make a purchase last Friday of which I am sure you will approve. :D I'll post details and photos when I get it.

///M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I actually recently read an interview on the net with Jean-Marie Schaller, the president of Louis Moinet, and the LM01 is not strictly speaking a full-house movement - it's one of those grey-area "brand exclusive" movements. The design is all Louis Moinet as it's based on original drawings by Louis Moinet himself back in the 1800's. However in the interview, Jean-Marie said that they used the expertise of an exclusive and highly skilled 3rd party movement-maker to construct it. So while it's a Louis Moinet exclusive (i.e. won't be found anywhere else) it's not technically a manufacture movement.

The LM01 is actually similar to the Omega 3313 in as much as it's a "brand exclusive", but not made by the brand if that makes sense. OK, so the LM01 is a little more exclusive in as much as LM haven't even disclosed who made it for them, but in principle it's a similar thing.

It's this type of thing where the whole in-house thing gets a little muddy! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Congrats Roff! LM is not my thing but it is great to see how happy you are with them! And the movement does look very good!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 2 posts
Brilliant pictoral review Prof. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

It's great to see one of these up close in your great pictures.

The attention to detail is very impressive.

There is a lot going on, which I really like, but the dial does not look in the least bit fussy. A very nicley conceived design.

Looks great on the wrist too. No wonder you get so many comments about this one.

Two thumbs up from me. :D

Please visit my Watch Blog at http://www.AndrewMichaels.co.uk

******Our new Pre-owned watch site www.amjwatches.co.uk is now live*****

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Thanks for clarifying Driver8!

@mofongo, I suspect that I already know about your purchase, and yes that price was very good.

The story I heard about the vintage movements is very recent, too recent for the chronovintage, I suspect that this is an unannounced watch.

Pretty much all of their current mainstream range are ETA based calibers, even the Jules Verne's, although you have to wonder at what point it ceases to be an ETA base and starts to become a custom made movement when you get to the degree of modification that those pieces have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Mofongo wrote:
BTW, your high praise of your TwinTech and an amazing price opportunity have led me to make a purchase last Friday of which I am sure you will approve. :D I'll post details and photos when I get it.

///M

Hmmmmm, I have a funny feeling this purchase of yours was something that I was watching and um'd and ah'd about bidding on myself! I didn't bid in the end but if it's the same one I'm thinking of, then you got something very cool for a very good price. I'm very interested in seeing this pictures. Does the number 13 have anything to do with it? :D

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
Contributing Curmudgeon
Contributing Curmudgeon

With all you guys watching, I figured it would go for more! ;) I guess 13 is my lucky number. I wasn't even watching when the auction ended...I had to give a last-minute presentation, and of course the 15 minutes of the presentation overlapped perfectly with the auction end time. Right before I left for my talk, I decided to enter a bid that I was pretty sure would be beaten. But I figured, "Hey, you never know."

I still have not gotten any shipping confirmation...I hope the seller actually lets it go for that price. Yes, technically he "has to" but you never know.

Thanks D8 for the info on the movement. I do agree that the "in-house" line is quite muddy these days. Really, if you can have parts manufactured for you to your specifications, why replicate that capability within your own organization? In fact, for a small outfit like LM, I actually feel a little better knowing that they outsourced much of the manufacture...it seems a better way to make sure that it is a quality product the first time around. The important thing is that they designed it and they, hopefully, tested it for quality control.

///M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
great reveiw Roff...even better watch. :drool: your collection just keeps getting better and better. i think these last 2 acquisitions have really showed your range as a collector. thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Beautiful watch and very nice review. These pictures of yours are looking better and better Roff! I think the turning point was the shot of your dog a while back :wink:

Any information about overall dimensions? I'd like to hear the deets.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Iantheklutz wrote:
Any information about overall dimensions? I'd like to hear the deets.

It's a tiny 54 x 40mm case, and about 14.5mm thick.

The movement is a manual wind 37 jewel 13 1/4 ligne movement with twin barrels and a 120 hour power reserve beating at 4 Hz.