Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wakmann
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Does anyone know where I can find any info on watches made by Wakmann. I inherited an old watch made by them and according to the (meager) info i've been able to find, Wakmann was apparently a generic brand made by Breitling. Does anyone know more about these watches. Also, anyone know where in the U.K. I could find a good watch cleaner/repairman to restore it? Its quite dirty and scratched, and I'm pretty sure the band it has isnt original.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Wakmann is an american company that acted as the American distributor for Breitling way back in the day... like the 50's, 60's and 70's i think.

I don't think they were made by Breitling or vice versa (though this may have happened), just a large store that sold their own house brand and also marketed Breitling. If you look at old Wakmann catalogues they have a section in them for Breitling watches as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
As far as I know, Breitling originally used Wakmann to market their watches in America and at some point during the 60's they bought Wakmann outright and simply rebranded their watches in America as Wakmann. There was also a transition phase where many watches were signed as Wakmann-Brietling.
I've found many sources for this:

From http://www.classicwristwatch.com/American%20Watches.htm

Quote:
Some classic Swiss houses used different brand names for watches sold in the USA, often those of sister companies with whom they had merged or bought out. Longines are often signed Wittnauer, Breitling are signed Wakmann, Heuer connected with Leonidas and so on. Whilst these are still high quality watches, they command less than the Swiss sold equivalent. This gives the collector on a budget a good opportunity to purchase high quality watches at reasonable prices.

Two Chronographs, One signed Breitling and the Other Wakmann. Apart from the pushers (the Wakmann has screw down pushers) and the signing, both are identical including the movements.. The Breitling signed watch will be worth more than the Wakmann - a chance for a bargain.

ImageImage

Heres an example of watches signed by both Breitling and Wakmann: