The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:38 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
This month's offering deals with the watch you owned, sold or traded away, but later considered getting back. Doesn't have to be the same exact watch but the same model, like you sold a Steelfish, missed it or regretted selling it, and then considered buying or did buy another. Food for thought here includes:

1. Did you consider buying it but not buy it? What kept you from buying it?
2. If you did buy another, were you happy or for some reason unhappy or disappointed? Do you still own it?
3. Is there a watch out there you are considering for a "Do-Over"?

There may be other related issues, but lets hear what you did or didn't do.

I'll start. My first nice watch was a Rolex GMT Master. A couple of times a GMT Master II (visually the same, non-ceramic bezel) has crossed my path. I have thought long and hard about it. You can cheat a little with a GMT because you can change the bezel color. The reason I sold the first one was because after wearing Breitling bracelets, the bracelet on my GMT just felt cheap. Still, I miss it at times. Easy to wear and the most practical complication for my use. A slightly better bracelet, with solid end links, might help on a slightly newer GMT, but I have always just stopped short. No ceramic for me by the way, I think the number font on the new GMT is too large. I haven't but I still might.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Given my aversion for parting with watches I can't really contribute to this, but cool topic!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Funnily enough (considering your example in your opening post Scott), one of the two watches I've regretted selling was in fact a Steelfish.

I picked up a first gen SOSF (the 42mm version) when it first came out a good few years ago and absolutely loved it. It was the silver dial version and it looked superb. Then Breitling released the 44mm version and I instantly wished I had that one as the added width suited the thickness a little more IMO, plus the seconds track was no longer interrupted by the date window : it just "worked" a little better all round visually. So I sold my 42mm and a little while later I picked up a black dial 44mm SOSF, which quickly became a favourite of mine. Then, for some reason unknown to man nor beast, after a few years I sold it to help fund something else. I can't even remember which watch I sold it to help fund now, but either way like a mad-man I sold my 2nd SOSF. :? However, after a few months I found I really missed it, so I started looking for a 3rd SOSF. I really wanted another black dial version, but found an absolutely killer deal on a 44mm silver dial version, so I picked that one up..... but it never really hit the spot unlike the black dial version for me, so a couple of years later the 44mm silver one was history as well. I'd still like to pick up a black dial model again, but mint condition ones are harder to come by these days, so I'm not sure I will ever have another....

The only other watch I regret selling is my Bentley Le Mans LE. For reason I just fell out of love with it for a period of time, so I put it up for sale and it sold incredibly quickly. As soon as it was gone I pretty much instantly regretted it. I've thought about picking up another, but they all go for silly money these days, and mine was mint so a replacement would have to in amazing condition to tempt me. That said, the lack of an in-house movement on something that expensive puts me off, so I'd love to pick up the new Bentley 24Hr instead..... but they are pretty hard to come by too for sensible money.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'm surprised no-one else has anything to add to this thread. Just you and I huh Scott? :?

(I'll let you off Roff what with your penchant for never selling anything!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:10 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I chalk it up to a form of PTSD for those who are still in a state of loss. That, or they're busy.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:08 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
OK, I'll play - only one watch sale, ever ---

I've abused and killed a few watches, and just trashed cheap non-working watches. Since my watch enlightenment, none have been sold in the traditional sense. I had a gold filled :shock: :oops: Omega dress watch sporting a nice leather band that was no longer in any rotation. It was offered to my nephews at a small fraction of market value - the first "I'll take it!!" got it. So now a nephew (who would not have purchased such a watch on the open market) is proudly wearing it. No regrets and no need to replace it.

Desert Hiker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I don't fit the bill either but I'll play.

The only watches I've sold are those that I just didn't like / connect with. No regrets at all although I did lose my shirt on one of them. The watches I replaced them with I still have so all good.

Generally I don'y buy on impulse so I buy what I want to keep long term. Buying sight unseen was one mistake I won't make again. A good thoughful thread!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:39 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I've had the GMTc once. Then I sold it to fund the Jumbo. Then I rebought it about 3 months ago.

It's gone again. :shock: