Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wind or Pull the Pin?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
I've never thought about this but... which is better for the watches in your collection that you don't wear every day: to wind them every day or pull out the crown so that the movement stops? All of my autos get worn once of week or so but i tend to wind them every night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Of those two choices, winding. Pulling the crown to stop the watch will leave the mainspring under tension for an extended period of time which isn't the best thing in the world. Winding will create marginal wear through the keyless works but that won't be significant in a watch that is maintained. The alternative to winding (or a winder) would be to let the watch run down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:00 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
For me, its leave it as it lies. Neither wind or pull the crown out if I am not wearing the watch, and I don't wind any of them between wears. I normally zero the stop watch if its running on a chrono but otherwise I have a minimalist approach. In my case it could be 2 weeks, a month, or even longer between wears. I donned by Navi World twice last year, which was a record!

I don't prescribe to an auto winder as I don't own a watch shop (they don't make much sense to me otherwise). The idea of a watch running hot between wears is not a part of the puzzle. So I just leave them as they are, to run down between wears.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

P51 wrote:
For me, its leave it as it lies. Neither wind or pull the crown out if I am not wearing the watch, and I don't wind any of them between wears. I normally zero the stop watch if its running on a chrono but otherwise I have a minimalist approach. In my case it could be 2 weeks, a month, or even longer between wears. I donned by Navi World twice last year, which was a record!

I don't prescribe to an auto winder as I don't own a watch shop (they don't make much sense to me otherwise). The idea of a watch running hot between wears is not a part of the puzzle. So I just leave them as they are, to run down between wears.

If a watch is left for an extended period it should at least get a full wind once a month to help prevent oil migration. Same argument goes for running the chrono once a month.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:12 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
The down side of letting watches run down is having to reset time/date when I do pick them up. I'm usually in a rush in the morning: I'd never wear most of my watches! Seems like I'll keep my nightly ritual of winding. At least it gives a little quality time with them each day ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Novacastrian wrote:
The down side of letting watches run down is having to reset time/date when I do pick them up. I'm usually in a rush in the morning: I'd never wear most of my watches! Seems like I'll keep my nightly ritual of winding. At least it gives a little quality time with them each day ;)

Or choose which one you want to wear the night before and set and wind it then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:51 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Well, that sounds like rational advice. Now all I need to do us remember where I put it!

"You have Control".