The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
Recently I've been looking at the entire line of Nomos watches, and narrowed my interest down to the Orion. However, I look at a lot of watches online every day, and have a lot of interests; my interest in Nomos isn't atypical for my WIS habbit of fantasy window-shopping for watches. I never considered it a possibility that I would possibly be motivated to spend the money on another luxury watch; I really just like to look.

Earlier today, I watched a video review (as I often do) for a watch that I have a lingering interest in-- the Nomos Orion. The link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9UrFs1BY0. I found myself like this: :drool: from start to finish. I was completely caught off guard when I developed an overwhelming interest in it and actually began to consider purchasing it-- something especially strange for me because I haven't seen one in person.

I am currently nowhere near a Nomos dealer, and won't be until I get home (near NYC) from University for spring break in April. After watching that video, and this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gydc5qjPdAE of the Orion datum Weiß, I feel very strongly that I want to own this watch, and because of the price, that's a real possibility. I won't know which way I'll lean until I see them in person to decide between the aesthetics of the standard Orion or the Weiß and the sizes of 35mm or 38mm. In the meantime, I'm hungry for perspectives and/or information about the Orion line. Does anyone have experience or an opinion on which they like most?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I've never handled a Nomos myself, but I've only ever heard good things about them.

I'd seen the Orion before, and I'm not really a dress watch fan, but I have to say after watching those reviews, I can definitely see the appeal. I much prefer the non-date version as I think the whole point of that watch is it's simplicity, and for me the date-wheel spoils the look a little. But both are nice watches.

I'd be interested to see how they would wear in person (on my own wrist) as 38mm is way too small for my preference, but as it is essentially all dial (and as the reviewer said, has very long lugs) it may wear OK. For me 41mm would be ideal for a watch of that kind.

It always amuses me when reviews talk about in-house movements, and then follow it up by saying, "based upon the XXXX movement". If it's based upon anything at all, then by definition it's not a true in-house (unless of course the base movement is in-house to the company). But in-house semantics aside, I've never heard anything bad about them, so I'd say go for it!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
This won't help but I'm in the same boat. I want a Nomos Club but am not sure about sizing and therefore unwilling to buy online (I'd buy direct from them; their communication is very good) until I've tried some on. The basic Club is 36mm, the Club Datum 38.5mm, the Club Automat 40mm etc. I could hazard a guess at the optimal size, but everyone says they wear unusually large due to the long lugs. I might end up buying two of them and returning one, which they've said they're happy to do. Their bang per buck is remarkable. An excellent company.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Like Driver8 I have never handled one of these watches either, but they keep popping up in award ceremonies (if I remember correctly, golden hands 12013) and in recommendation lists.

No wonder. They are elegantly designed and styled and very understated, which suits me and obviously a lot of other people. The simple dial configuration is very much Miesianism at its best. I don't really mind about the in house movement, as long as it beats reliably I would be satisfied.

Spoil yourself le_Baron and buy one. I doubt you will regret it. Reasonably priced too.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:49 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I just purchased a 36mm Club unseen, and I can say that if I would have seen it in person I would have bought it a long time ago. The finishing is great, and it's an in-house movement, set to COSC standards. (Just can't call it that) If you think you want a Nomos, just buy it. I purchased mine from Timeless Luxury watches and it was such a great transation. Paid for it around 12 est, and received it 9:20 AM the next day. I worked with Dan Broadfoot and would buy from him again, no question.

Also, the 36mm wears larger, so don't let the 35 & 36mm scare you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Govberg is a Nomos authorized dealer

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
For a little extra Nomos can also change the steel caseback on the Club for a crystal one, as available on the larger Clubs. If that's a dealbreaker for anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:25 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Today, I went into NYC and saw some Nomos pieces firsthand at Wempe on 5th Avenue. The pictures I had seen do not do these pieces justice, especially the ones with blue hands and gold indices. I'm glad I saw them in person before pulling the trigger, because I would've chosen the silver hands and indices model if I hadn't seen the other one in person. They didn't have the Orion Datum in stock with the blue/gold combo, but I do have some pics (albeit low quality on my iphone 4) to show for my trip:

First: I tried on the Zurich as the kind sales person retrieved the Orions. It was very nice, and the automatic movement was gorgeous

Second: what would be the winning style (along with my navi world in the background)--the original over the Weiss/Weiß. Pics cannot do this justice

Lastly: Orion 38 and Orion 38 Weiss/Weiß datum, side by side. I think I prefer the date. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:27 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I've always liked the Bauhaus minimalist looks, especially the Weltzeit. Beautiful pieces for the money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:38 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I like the no date design, but get what you like!

I will be buying another Nomos no question!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
I've been searching for an Orion also. Out of the two that you looked at, I prefer the date version. Does that one come with the blued hands?

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

RXPete wrote:
I've been searching for an Orion also. Out of the two that you looked at, I prefer the date version. Does that one come with the blued hands?

Yes, there is a regular Orion Datum (the one with the blue hands and gold indices) and it can be found here: http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watches/O ... -back.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I received my Nomos Orion Datum in the mail today, all the way from Germany. I'll post photos and my review in the coming week!