It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Options for the ladies..
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Help....

I am in the process of saving for a watch for my wife. Here is the problem, she doesnt seem interested in Rolex and I cant imagine paying $4000+ on a Breitling for her that isnt an automatic. I mean really.. why are the ladies Breitlings just as expensive as the mens' autos.

For reference she fancies the Starliner with the two tone bracelet, gold rider tabs and gold markers withteh natural MOP. It is a really beautiful watch, but the whole quartz thing is killing me. On the other hand, she could care less.

I generally associate automatics (or manual wind) as a giant step above a quartz.

What are some other brands (besides Rolex) that offer a 30mm or smaller ladies watch in an automatic movement?

Thanks,

Scott

Bell & Ross BR03-92 Phantom
Steinhart BreitlingSource LE #5/15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:29 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I understand your point of view on quartz vs auto. I would surmise that Breitling along with other watch companies figure a woman views a watch as another piece of jewelry. Caring less about function and more about fashion, they want to be able to strap it on and go, without setting the time or date. And to be fair, it kind of makes sense. Women have a myriad of options when it comes to jewelry: rings, earrings, necklace, bracelet, anklets, brooches and so on. A man is limited in his options, so he takes pride in it, and eventually becomes obsessed with it, much like we are.

My advice would be if you can afford it, appease her and purchase the watch she wants. That way later on she wont hassle you too much about that brand new Super Avenger or whatever catches your fancy that came home on your wrist one day. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Omega offeres an automatic movement for ladies.

My wife has tried on a couple of 38mm pieces that look great on her wrist. Tag, Bvlgari, Breitling, and Cartier all make 38 mm automatics.

~BRian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pushing much larger then that 30mm size would probally be rough for my wife. She has very small wrist. She did slap on the smallest Colt and it looked a little too large for her.

On a similar topic... why wouldnt Breitling create or alter a ladies watch size movement? If Rolex can do it, why couldnt Breitling?

When the dusk all settles she will probally be getting the Starliner. I guess I wouldnt blame her, because it is a great looking watch. Just wouldnt be on my wrist with a battery it it. (although I do own a tool Timex and a Citizen eco drive that havent been worn since the Breitlings arrived!)

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Yeah, I have a couple quartz watches. One is a Tourneau Safari that I picked up as a beater, and the other is my dress watch. It is nice to be able to open the safe and strap it on, but I almost feel cheated that they have a battery in them and not all those beautiful tiny parts working as one. To be honest, at the time I thought quartz was the way to go for a dress watch, because I wouldnt be wearing it very often. I should have listen to my gut and gone with a simple automatic I could set easily between wearing. (Sometimes I wonder how long it would take to wind up and set a perpetual calendar everytime you put it on.)

My love of watches comes from the complexity of their inner workings. The ability of a person to design a movement that can keep accurate time using no power source other than movement of your wrist and then be able to squeeze it into something as small as a wristwatch, and have it still work. It amazes everytime, more so than the design of a case and dial. (They do have a factor in it, but I have been known to pass over an eye pleasing watch due to either a quartz or mass produced movement.)

A quartz watch is really nothing more than a bit of wiring stuffed into a shell, I mean what are you really paying for, the name? the materials? At some point a price just cant be justified. Back when Rolex had the Air King that was quartz, I always wondered how they justified the price if it wasnt an in house automatic movement. But again, thats Rolex for you.

At least Breitling quartz movements are COSC certified and possess the ability to help you get rescued should you need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

There is one obvious choice for automatic ladies watches of the highest standard......Patek Philippe

http://www.patek.com/patek-philippe.html

unfortunately you need Very deep pockets but they are absolutely stunning pieces

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I sat her down and showed her the different (reasonable) ladies watches that were automatics. We looked a a really nice Omega auto and some Rolexes and a couple others... and guess what... She still wants the Breitling!

Actually she ask if Panerai made a ladies watch because she loves the looks of the luminor and base's Ive been looking at! That my girl! So at soon as the funds allow, she will be getting a Starliner two-tone. And I will be getting a Panerai later this year!!! Unless a great deal is found on a Blacksteel.

Oh and Patek's are off the table. Although a nice vintage Patek dresser has been catching my attension while surfing the usual online dealers!

Scott