The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hello everyone! My name is Christian and I am so excited to be a part of this community! I used to be the type of guy who couldn't understand luxury watches. I just didn't get spending so much money on a watch. But then, when my grandfather was visiting my wife and I about 5 years ago, he brought along his new watch, a Breitling Chronomat. The watch immediately caught my eye. It was beautiful! I didn't even know watches had automatic movements so seeing a second hand move like that blew me away. Over the next few years, my grandfather and I would always get together and talk about watches. I learned how they were made. I researched movements and jewel counts and bracelets. I learned about Race/Speed Watches, Dive Watches, Chronos, True Dress Watches, etc. Long story-short, I was hooked. I started with my first "nice" watch. A sub-$500 Citizen Eco-Drive. It just fed my desire to get more. Next came a few watches in the sub-$1000 category, one of which was a nice Tissot that was my go to dress watch. Then came the lower end TAGs and Omegas. I love all of these watches, but I still was waiting to cross the barrier from Quartz to Automatic. See, in my mind, that was the line. I know that there are some really nice Quartz watches out there, but there is something to be said for seeing the second hand glide around the watch face or seeing the main spring oscillate. But there was one problem. For this step, I didn't want to go grey market. I'm not hating on it, but I wanted that first one to be special. Having said that, there is a big difference in getting a $1200 TAG and a $4000 Breitling. So, I was saving. This went on for a bit as life happens and you cant always save as fast as you want. Well, 4 months into saving for one of my dream watches, I found out my grandfather passed away. I was devastated. Things were put on hold for a little while after that, until about 2 months ago when my parents called me on the way back from Michigan and the reading of my grandfathers will. I hadn't really expected to be willed anything as my grandfather had many kids, but boy I was wrong. I was willed one thing, my grandfathers Breitling watch. My dad said my grandfather noted that I would be the only person who would appreciate it. I couldn't believe it. I also found out some more cool info on the watch. He bought it while on holiday in Spain with my Grandmother for their anniversary. My grandmother has no idea where the box and papers are or even if my grandfather kept them, as soon as she finds them, she will send me the watch. If she can't find them, I'll make a plan to go up to get it. So, here i am. An heirloom time piece that's only about 5 years old, but it's something I plan on taking good care of and passing down to my kids when its time. I still have plans to buy my very own Breitling, but I couldn't have asked for a better watch to start with.

Sorry for the novel, but for me, the story of getting the watch holds just as much, if not more value than the watch itself. And if I know anything about Breitling owners and enthusiasts, you guys truly appreciate value.

I'm so excited to be here!

Christian K
Breitling Chronomat

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Great story Christian, and welcome aboard.

The sentimental value of your Chronomat will make it a priceless piece to you, and hopefully to your kids as well in due time.

Site Moderator