Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New owner - my story
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:12 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I am the proud new owner of a new Colt Chrono with a black face and Pro II stainless bracelet. I must say that I absolutely love this watch. I fell in love with Breitling watches 10 years ago when I saw them in a jewelry store in Florida while on vacation, but other priorities (kids, mortgage(s), etc) always got in the way of my dream to possess one. The obsession “somewhat” waned until I saw them again while on a cruise in the Caribbean a couple of years ago.

This year, the stars and moons finally aligned when a few things fell perfectly into place. I got a larger bonus than I expected, my wife and I are approaching our 15th wedding anniversary next week (gives great excuse and rationalization), AND my wife “approved” the expenditure (extremely key to marital longevity). Of course, I also felt it appropriate to buy her a beautiful diamond pendant necklace, as well and in like kind :D. I selected the Colt Chrono for several reasons: 1.) It was within my budget, 2.) I liked the look and “coolness” factor of the chrono, and 3.) I liked the size. I could wear a larger watch, and I do like the more massive styles, but I work for a conservative public company and I was concerned about the more pretentious appearance of the larger styles. And, I wanted a daily wear watch.

So, I went to my local AD, and found them pretty eager to take 20% off even though I had never purchased anything from them in the past. Well, I made the purchase a couple of days ago, and I can not keep my eyes off of the watch. I love it even more than I thought I would :D , and am glad to see there are far more men that obsess over these beautiful timepieces than I.

I must say that I have been enjoying this forum over the last week as a guest and have picked up many tips and tidbits, so thank you to all the contributors. I do have a question about the wear preferences of you all in terms of looser or snugger fits. I have been wearing a Tag watch every day for the last 15 years (it was a wedding present) that I preferred to wear more loose, but my AD tried to convince me to not do this with the Ling since it is much larger and heavier than the Tag. I listened, but it feels too snug this way and I am not sure whether to have them put one of the 2 links back, adjust the clasp setting and try it that way. Maybe I need to give it more time since my point of reference is, let’s say, incomparable. I have read the piece on this website about “biasing” the watch and am unsure about this, as well. Any advice, suggestions, or comments, would be appreciated.

Finally, I cannot describe how thrilled I am to finally have a Ling in my possession, on my wrist, to enjoy forever, and eventually to pass down to one of my 2 sons. And, to be fair, I will eventually have to purchase a 2nd Ling else one son will be very, very jealous :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome aboard and welcome to the Breitling family.

Snugness of fit is very much personal choice - I do prefer a slightly snug fit as otherwise I find that the watch 'tips forward' and the crown and pushers dig into the back of my hand / wrist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new addition.

In terms of fit it's all a matter of personal taste. I was always told you should be able to put a pinky finger in between the band and your wrist as a gauge, but that is a vague attempt to provide a starting point. Loosen it up see how you like, nothing you do is permanent anyway ;)

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:46 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I think I will go to the AD tomorrow to add a link, loosen it up a little and see how I like it. I notice that in the am it is not as tight fitting as in the pm. Also, what do you all think about "biasing" the watch. Does this really make a difference in comfort? I realize this is all personal preference, but it helps to have input from the wiser and more experienced :wink:

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:16 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
finallymadeit wrote:
Thanks for the welcome and advice. I think I will go to the AD tomorrow to add a link, loosen it up a little and see how I like it. I notice that in the am it is not as tight fitting as in the pm. Also, what do you all think about "biasing" the watch. Does this really make a difference in comfort? I realize this is all personal preference, but it helps to have input from the wiser and more experienced :wink:

It really is just personal choice. Mine tend to end up biased the way that it's 'supposed' to be, because that's what's comfortable for me, but if you prefer it differently, what the heck - you're the one wearing it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:49 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Welcome :lingsrock:
:breitling3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:54 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Welcom. :breitling3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Welcome and congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks again for the welcomes. Okay, I had a link removed and had the clasp settings adjusted to the max setting, but when trying to "bias" the bracelet, it is not perfect because there are an odd number of links either side the clasp curve (I only have one link removed at this point). And, I had the AD to move one link to the top side, so I am much more biased on the top side. It does seem more comfortable as the clasp part is more centered on the underside of my wrist. I will try it this way for a few days, but I think I already like it better. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

If you read this thread:

http://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v ... g+bracelet

you'll get a lot of feedback on how people like their bracelets for most comfortable wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:50 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the thread. I like the idea of getting my own tools and doing it myself, however, I worry about the same thing that happened to Ross. I can be clumsy with small things :oops: . For now, I will keep annoying my AD until I get it just right - lucky for me the AD is less than 3 miles away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It is indeed good to have an AD within walking distance. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:57 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
:welcome:

Enjoy your time here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

:welcome: aboard!

Panerai 112, Black Leather (Soon Hopefully!)

:fulllingclub: