Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I am asking a stupid question!

My husband saw the 1962 cosmonaute watch and loved it. However, it seems to be towards the top end of the navitimer models price-wise (from my limited research) and I was wondering whether it is worth getting this model in particular or just trying to find the cheapest new navitimer (in which case can anyone help me with which is the cheapest in that range please)?

Thanks for any advice

Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
I am biased but if you can find an all original 1962 Cosmonaute (50 year old, wide bezel , all black dial) and the price doesnt put you off too much by all means get it. Its the rarest of all Breitling watches and will always be sought after and will certainly keep its value (depending how much you pay for it)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

Prices on the current Navitimer will vary based on size and features, but the biggest driver will be whether the movement is in house (designed and built by Breitling), or generic (bought in from a supplier and modified by Breitling). The in house models are more expensive and within the Navitimer range the models are currently the Navitimer 01, Montbrillant 01 and Cosmonaute 02. The Scott Carpenter Cosmonaute wasn't in house, but it was a limited edition which bumps the price up. Of course as Dracha points out there are also original, vintage pieces.

Price will also vary based on whether it is on the bracelet (most expensive), crocodile strap (next most expensive) or calf strap (least expensive). Croc and calf are available on deployant (butterfly style) and tang (pin buckle) clasps, deployant being more expensive.

Of course new vs. used will also impact the price. You can use the Breitling website to price up options in the 'My Breitling Made to Measure' feature, and in the UK it is definitely worth contacting one of the UK based forum sponsors - Andrew Michaels or Banks Lyon who will be happy to work with you on price.