The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:25 am 
Offline
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 11:38 am
Posts: 7
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 0 post
Hey all, thanks for the rich resources in this forum! I've learned a ton just browsing around.

I'm considering my first vintage Breitling purchase. I've always been attracted to the 810. I've found an interesting piece for what I believe is a decent price. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the authenticity of it as well as what a reasonable price range would be.

I believe this is a Mark 2. Serial number is 1277287 which dates to 1969. As far as I can tell all is original except for the hour and minute hands. Is my assessment correct?

Any idea what the interesting pyramid engraving on the back is? I found another 810 with a similar engraving: https://www.matthewbaininc.com/watch-details/2979.

The seller is willing to accept around $4k USD for it. I think this is an okay price...do you agree?

How difficult do you think it would be to find the correct hands?

My apologies for all the questions. I really appreciate the help!

Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:17 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:36 pm
Posts: 14133
Likes: 1412 posts
Liked in: 1644 posts
Location: Vienna, Austria
as you say, main hands are incorrect.
the “pyramid” (or triangle) was used by Breitling when they re-marked cases, this case was originally intended for a ref. 824


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:30 am 
Offline
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 11:38 am
Posts: 7
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 0 post
Thanks WatchFred. The case was originally intended for an 824...was it used for this 810 instead because of a case surplus? I'd love to learn some of the history here.

And how difficult would it be to find original hands? I'm in no rush, but I'd like to have the original set eventually.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:53 am 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 1320
Likes: 224 posts
Liked in: 339 posts
Location: England
Probably 2 issues. 4K is pretty high on the price range, which I’m not sure is fair given the wrong hands. Secondly, finding hands is a crap shoot. They are not available, so eBay is your likely source fir a used set. Might never find them. A watch with wrong hands is not worth a watch with correct hands.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:38 am 
Offline
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 11:38 am
Posts: 7
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 0 post
buddman wrote:
Probably 2 issues. 4K is pretty high on the price range, which I’m not sure is fair given the wrong hands. Secondly, finding hands is a crap shoot. They are not available, so eBay is your likely source fir a used set. Might never find them. A watch with wrong hands is not worth a watch with correct hands.


Makes sense, thanks buddman. What would you estimate as the price range for a nice original example of the reverse panda 810? Just so I have a ballpark reference in mind.

I understand wrong hands would devalue a watch. I guess it depends if I'm willing to gamble as I may never find the correct hands.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 pm
Posts: 466
Likes: 181 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Not totally sure I agree with my friend Buddman re: the valuation. US$4k is not unreasonable at all for a watch in that condition with the wrong -- but findable -- hands I dont think....just my opinion...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 pm 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 1320
Likes: 224 posts
Liked in: 339 posts
Location: England
copacetic_life wrote:
buddman wrote:
Probably 2 issues. 4K is pretty high on the price range, which I’m not sure is fair given the wrong hands. Secondly, finding hands is a crap shoot. They are not available, so eBay is your likely source fir a used set. Might never find them. A watch with wrong hands is not worth a watch with correct hands.


Makes sense, thanks buddman. What would you estimate as the price range for a nice original example of the reverse panda 810? Just so I have a ballpark reference in mind.

I understand wrong hands would devalue a watch. I guess it depends if I'm willing to gamble as I may never find the correct hands.


If it all correct, I’d want to pick one up for 3-4K, but retail might be 5ish. I quite like your version with the lume plots at 12 and the squared lugs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:44 pm 
Offline
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 11:38 am
Posts: 7
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 0 post
buddman wrote:
If it all correct, I’d want to pick one up for 3-4K, but retail might be 5ish. I quite like your version with the lume plots at 12 and the squared lugs.


Geez I'd love to pick up an all original one for 3k but I haven't seen any close to that in SS reverse panda. Guess I'll poke around and try to get more of a feeling for myself on the valuation.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group