Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: redial?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello folks . My girlfriend has had this watch in family from before the second world war, according to her dad! I've been told it might be a redialled chronomat. Could any of the experts give me their opinion on the watch and help date it? Many thanks

Post subject: Re: redial?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
Yes a redialed 769.

WatchFred likes this post.
 Post subject: redial?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Easypeasy wrote:
... and help date it?

You can date it using the serial number that should be on the case back.

Last edited by arcadelt on Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
dating it roughly: early to mid 1940s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Many thanks for your help guys. If I could ask again your help to make sure it's the correct movement, and year? I've noticed some of this year have Breitling on the movement, was there a cut off year for this? Thanks again for your help. I'm going to get it serviced for him. According to the family he bought it in France ,and someone has pointed out it has the Portuguese import mark on the lug.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
unsigned movement is perfectly fine, this is a very early example, ca. 1942 (we can only precisely date for late 1944 and after)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:43 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

WatchFred wrote:
unsigned movement is perfectly fine, this is a very early example, ca. 1942 (we can only precisely date for late 1944 and after)

Thanks again WatchFred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:26 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

So I’ve been given the watch as a present! Before I get it serviced and running again, I was wondering what the chances are of getting an original dial for the watch? I think the bezel is original as the red colour is still there. Was there many variations of the Chronomat dial in the 1940s? Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:57 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
FWIW, if I were in your shoes, the family heirloom aspect of the watch would mean a great deal more to me than changing it back to its original condition. Someone in your girlfriend's family redialed the watch at some point in time, and that's part of the provenance of this piece. Especially if your GF becomes your wife, and years from now you pass it down to one of your kids.

I heard a museum curator tell me once that you can buy a top hat from the 1860s for $100 or so on Ebay. But Abraham Lincoln's top hat is priceless because of its provenance. Although the provenance of this watch is only priceless to members of your family, it doesn't diminish the fact that to that small group of people, it's still priceless.

If it was me, I'd have it cleaned but I wouldn't replace anything that wasn't necessary to make it run again.

Congratulations on the gift of this wonderful watch!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:36 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

You’re right! I’ll just get it serviced. I’ll not mention getting married to my girlfriend just yet!

Nihon_Ni wrote:
FWIW, if I were in your shoes, the family heirloom aspect of the watch would mean a great deal more to me than changing it back to its original condition. Someone in your girlfriend's family redialed the watch at some point in time, and that's part of the provenance of this piece. Especially if your GF becomes your wife, and years from now you pass it down to one of your kids.

I heard a museum curator tell me once that you can buy a top hat from the 1860s for $100 or so on Ebay. But Abraham Lincoln's top hat is priceless because of its provenance. Although the provenance of this watch is only priceless to members of your family, it doesn't diminish the fact that to that small group of people, it's still priceless.

If it was me, I'd have it cleaned but I wouldn't replace anything that wasn't necessary to make it run again.

Congratulations on the gift of this wonderful watch!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:52 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 12 posts
Hi,

You write your gf’s dad says the watch was in the family from before WW2? How certain is he? Does the dad know if when where the watch was serviced in the past?

Also the writing is all red on the outer ring? A bit difficult to see in you photo. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:26 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hopefully you can see the red better in this photo. The story I have had is the watch was my gf's dads grandfathers. He bought the watch in France, and it has the Portuguese import stamp on the lug. The family are Spanish. The grandfather was a very rich man, and the dad is surprised about the redial, as he says he was the type of man just to buy a new one! He was led to believe the watch was purchased before the war, but time passed has probably made the facts a bit blurred!

Vandeg wrote:
Hi,

You write your gf’s dad says the watch was in the family from before WW2? How certain is he? Does the dad know if when where the watch was serviced in the past?

Also the writing is all red on the outer ring? A bit difficult to see in you photo. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:59 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hi, thanks that is very helpful yes. The Breitling 769 was launched in early 1940’s. It was launched by Breitling as a tool watch to help with calculations. A 769 has an slide rule on the dial. Some of these watches were heavily used and quite sensitive to moisture. Do you know if the grandfather was a quantitive person? The watch was available in gold, stainless steel and a plated version. Since he was well off and did not buy the gold version he might have bought it to use it properly?

Since production started in the early 40’s , to purchase a 769 before WW2 would be difficult! It is about 80 years ago so indeed a lot of time has passed. The watch will very likely have seen some watchmakers for service. Are there watch makers marks on the inside of the case back? I have never seen red scale all round numbers & markers for a 769. The dial has the arrow pointing at the “H” between 5 and 6 which is quite common for a 769. But no fab. suisse or swiss made, which is a bit mysterious. Also a 769 normally has the patent number “+217012” on the dial.
It seems to have had a serious intervention to fit the not period correct Fixoflex bracelet. One lug seems to have been drilled open to fit the bracelet. It is interesting someone went to the effort to put this bracelet on, it might have been used regularly to have the Fixoflex fitted.

This watch has had a long and eventful journey and is a result of that, it is what it is right now. You can keep it as it is and enjoy it for what is and dont change one thing. Add your own chapter to the watch. The idea that watches survive for decades as very close companions to their owners makes them a bit magical imo. Please make sure the movement is serviced. I will add a photo of a 769 that was sold in auction a couple of years ago for your information.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:18 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Had a look at the inside of case back and there looks maybe 20 service marks. I’ve took the old strap off as it was too tight for my wrist. I’m assuming it would have had a leather strap originally? If anyone had any photos of this year on a leather strap I’d be grateful. Would like to get a more fitting strap. Cheers