The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
So I inherited this Breitling from my dad. He had connections/friends at the USA Breitling headquarters and the story he told me is that they produced only one of this watch. The face is confirmed Abalone Shell, not Mother of Pearl, and he told me Breitling decided not to mass produce it.

However, there is a model number on the back and i don't have a loop or magnifying glass to read it. I'm confident it starts with K13048 then a gap then a 1 then another gap and three more numbers that I just can't read well but I think it's 724. I couldn't seem to take a picture that really showed it off.

When I got the watch there was no certificate and the case was kind of beat up. Furthermore, it sat in a hot safety deposit box probably for over two decades so some of the white parts of the case transferred to the watch. I have been assured these areas can be cleaned without damage to the watch.

The watch is really heavy and the gold has been verified as 18k. I read up on fakes and I don't believe this is one but I'm asking the true experts in this forum

I sent Breitling the images (who assured me that white stuff could come off) but obviously they want me to send it in so they can open it up and such, The problem is they have no idea what the value is so I can't insure it and Wilton, CT is quite a drive from California. Look at the attached photos or check out the full-res, no brightness adjustment, uncropped images here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/94gt13qpdkk5gwu/AAC9LBgDxK4MXSfsDCAn6Iuza?dl=0. There are more photos in that folder as well since there is no attachment limit.

Thank you

Lee Warner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Well the case and bracelet are definitely real and consistent for a K13048 Chronomat.

However, I've not personally seen hour markers like that before, nor have I seen an abalone shell dial, only MoP, so it's either a very Limited Edition (a 1 of 1 if your dad's story is correct) that I've not seen before, or the dial is a custom aftermarket piece. Hopefully Breitling will confirm the former and you'll have a very interesting piece on your hands.

The easiest way to send it in to Breitling is to take it to a local Breitling AD and get them to send it for you. They will charge you a small amount for the privilege, but it'll probably be less than insuring it yourself and all the insurance issues are then on them.

Site Moderator