Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi everyone —

I'm new here and though I've read the rules, I hope posting this as a first post isn't out of line...

I'm a long-time watch enthusiast who is just now learning about Breitling. In particular, I've gotten a bit obsessed with the Navitimer 806's. As I've done my research, I've come to realize that this isn't exactly safe waters for the novice and I'm a bit worried about buying a piece that ends up being a complete scam.

I've found some that look like possible candidates for my first 806—I'd love your option on (a) real or mash-up of parts and (b) descent place to start collecting?

#1: This looks a bit too good to be true. The lume on the dial/hands seems to match but it's awfully clean. Link: https://www.chrono24.com/breitling/navi ... 040523.htm

#2: This looks... maybe a bit too untouched. I'm worried about that coloration from around 2 to 7. Link: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-br ... 30399.html

#3: This one is down the street from me and looks pretty good. It matches WatchFred's posted reference for the "Twinplane "big eyes" for non-AOPA distribution, late 1967 and later; serrated bezel only. "red accent" sliderule inserts: Here's the link: https://www.righttime.com/rt/pre-owned/8061.htm

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Update: I looked at #3 in person and it seems to have the wrong seconds hand (which they pointed out unprompted to their credit) so I think that one is out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:50 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
I think the slide rule on 1 may not be original, as the black marks dont actually reach the inner edge. I suspect it’s a relumed dial too, but you’d have to see in person.

Number 2 is correct but some unattractive aging and staining.

Number 3 also has lume falling of the dial.

For 5k you can find a better example.

Last edited by buddman on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DenverK likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:27 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
I find it best to determine what specific watch you want before considering any actual examples for sale. The three watches you linked to are all quite different. If you just want an 806 then that is what you'll end up with; however, if you render down to exactly the characteristics you are after, then that allows you to concentrate your research and searches, and that increases the likelihood of a good end result. Also, if you are after a collector's grade watch expect to pay a collector's grade price.

IMHO, I don't agree with @buddman about the sliderule on #1, but if he is right, then that should equally apply to #2. He is, however, correct about everything else, especially the re-lume on #1 (the lume on the chrono-seconds hand is a dead giveaway).

Did you see this one listed here? I can’t vouch for the buyer and he has a very low post count, but if you do your due diligence and he turns out to be OK, it could be a reasonable buy at that price.

DenverK likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:04 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the pointing out of elements that, even with a reference with which to compare, I might not have noticed.

In terms of what I’m looking for, I prefer the beads of rice bezel and the AOPA style logo vs the twin tails. I definitely want the silver case and I’m undecided on the all black vs the panda dial.

It was good to see #3 in person if only to confirm that the watch fits nicely on my wrist and that I really do like the style. With that said, I think I’ll pursue the one listed here on this site. I’m a bit nervous about the low post count of the seller (says the guy with 3 posts) but the watch looks very clean.

Again — Thank you for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:25 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
DenverK wrote:
In terms of what I’m looking for, I prefer the beads of rice bezel and the AOPA style logo vs the twin tails. I definitely want the silver case and I’m undecided on the all black vs the panda dial.

The beaded bezel only comes on all-black and early (transitional) reverse-panda dials, so are sought after and quite expensive in the marketplace. Most 806s are steel, although there are quite a few gold-plated around too.

DenverK wrote:
With that said, I think I’ll pursue the one listed here on this site. I’m a bit nervous about the low post count of the seller (says the guy with 3 posts) but the watch looks very clean.

Just keep your wits about you when dealing with people with little to no history on this (or any other) forum, and even on eBay and Chrono24. Ask for references and actually follow them up. If it doesn't feel right, it probably is, so walk away. There are plenty of watches that come up and it is better to deal with a seller you can feel comfortable with.

DenverK likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
agree w/ Dave's assessment, would like to see better shots of No.1's dial, think it is a relume.

better pieces out there, but it may be a long search to find them at the right price.

would suggest to go through Kurt's site www.kurt-B.com

happy hunting!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the site recommendation, Fred. I’ll check it out today. I appreciate everyone’s advice on waiting, finding the piece that exactly matches what I’m looking for, and being cautious with transactions with parties online.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
WatchFred wrote:
agree w/ Dave's assessment, would like to see better shots of No.1's dial, think it is a relume.

better pieces out there, but it may be a long search to find them at the right price.

would suggest to go through Kurt's site http://www.kurt-B.com

happy hunting!
What a great read! Thanks much!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk