The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
So, my father bought a watch at a watch show actually, but we've been told now that it may be a franken watch. In question is the fact that it's a double case back, also in question is the logo, and what we thought was the serial number stamped on the case back. Can anyone help? My father thought it was a 1940s watch, but that now seems impossible. Also, it's an 18K gold. That part at least seems correct. I'll post a link to a website with pictures of the watch. Thank you in advance if you know whether this watch is correct or not.

http://www.collectorvintagewatches.com/ ... w/page_103

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
hmmm....

links does not work, but we had a thread about the same watch, might watchguru be your father ?
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37672

watch is still fake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for responding. No, my dad is not on this site and he bought the watch a long time back. I was going to post pictures, but couldn't figure it out, which is why I just did the link. This one works.
http://www.collectorvintagewatches.com/ ... meter.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
interesting, as this watch was marked "sold" yesterday when member watchguru had it on hold, back for sale today. maybe they have these in mass production.

the verdict from the other thread stands: pathetic fake, not franken, as franken would indicate at least one of the components is authentic Breitling; this one is a complete fake.

just read through the BS on that site, deserves to be documented, pic below.

Last edited by WatchFred on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
apologies for being a cynic .. but how does your dad's watch end up at that site ?

btw, that watch is fake (as well) and not a Breitling for all the same reasons as were discussed in this thread

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 31&t=37672

Last edited by Dracha on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Original link works for me, same watch as the one that Fred linked to and as noted, still fake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Oh, sorry for the confusion. The site belongs to my dad and I. Once the questions were brought to our attention, I pulled the watch down from the site, but put it back this morning for you guys to be able to check it out. There wasn't a price listed, and I assure you it was not for sale.

I did just read the thread you included. Yes, that was our buyer. He was very gracious in letting us know that we might not have what we thought we had. My dad has owned the watch for 7-8 years, and like I said it was purchased from a show. I've just been trying to get to the bottom of its authenticity and found this forum this morning. I was just in shock with what was mentioned as wrong with the watch, and was sick to my stomach at possibly misrepresenting anything. I also couldn't understand how two of our watchmakers had recently serviced the watch without saying a word to us if it was definitely fake as you are all saying here. I also still don't get why someone would fake this. The case is certainly 18k gold and it's certainly a functioning chronometer. It just seems so odd to go through all the complication, and this was at least 10 years ago! And how does it get by watchmakers?

I've told my dad all that you guys have said about the watch and he's just in disbelief. Obviously we're upset at the money that's now been lost on purchasing and repairing a fake watch. But, we're sick at misrepresenting the watch. And now, frankly scared about how good the fakes are these days. We've known of watchmakers not even catching fake Rolexes until they've discovered the serial number existed on another watch. My dad and I are just too trusting I guess.

Thank you for your input guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:28 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Oh, also in regards to the "bs" comment. What's written there on the site this morning, was me writing in the description what we were uncovering for your input. There's no "bs" on the site that we are doing intentionally that's for sure. My dad has collected all sorts of watches since I was little. He had intended to open a watch repair shop (did go to schooling for that), but his health didn't cooperate. That was just as the economy was souring and I needed an extra income source. He's not web savvy, so we started this site where he can get his joy from watch discussions and buying/selling, and I can earn a little side income. He's a retired Army Lt. Col. I guess that may not mean much to some, or mean much these days, but it means a lot for us. It means integrity comes first. That's true for him and for me. We would NEVER sell something we knew was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
skatingmommy2 wrote:
And now, frankly scared about how good the fakes are these days.

I'm not going to comment on most of your last post, but.....

This comment above deserves a response. This was not a good fake - it could have been idenitifed as wrong by anyone with the most basic knowledge of vintage Breitlings. If you don't know what you are buying then I suggest that you don't buy, and how you can justify the garbage in the description that Fred grabbed a picture of is completely beyond me. You didn't know enough to realise that the watch was fake, but had no problem writing a detailed description for some unsuspecting buyer.

Disgusting.

On a side note, I would expect someone selling watches to be able to spell famous names associated with watches, you know like Valjoux, or Ulysse Nardin :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

As I tried to say, what I wrote in the description was intended for the forum...to say what we'd been told. It wasn't a description for buyers. As for the spelling errors, I had copied and pasted what my father was writing to me, and as I mentioned health had prevented him from opening a shop. He survived a horrific traffic accident which has left some traumatic brain damage. I have a master's in Speech-Language Pathology, so I am frankly qualified to say that his spelling errors are ok. He gets along very well, but when he's writing something, you can see the deficits come out. My mistake for not reading carefully enough to correct the spelling. I was just anxious to keep the thread going because I was so excited to be getting some opinions.

As for how obviously fake it is to you, well, I guess you just have amazing experience. One of our watchmakers is 85, and so maybe he's not catching the details as well anymore. When you're dealing with many brands of watches, as they are, I can accept that some things can get by. We'll have to be going to "experts" on each particular watch I guess.

You've sufficiently pounded me into the ground I think. That's for all your help.