The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
 
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: navitimer...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 am 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:52 am
Posts: 102
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
wath do you think about this one ?
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... _500wt_952
thanks !


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 3156
Likes: 292 posts
Liked in: 521 posts
Location: now Rabat Morocco
needs a new dial, hands, sliderulering etc as they have all been repainted
replace those and you have a nice looking watch

_________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Breitling and Boats. The rest I wasted" - mostly Elmore Leonard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:19 am 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 1499
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 10 posts
Location: Australia
Dracha wrote:
needs a new dial, hands, sliderulering etc as they have all been repainted
replace those and you have a nice looking watch


just curious, how does one tell if a dial has been repainted? It did look a bit too clean to me on first instance. I know it comes with experience but a cheat sheet method for me?:). Comparing the dial with an original, I noticed the fonts on the numbers in the inner and outer circle are different, they are bolder in the original dial, is that the correct and the only difference?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:51 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 3156
Likes: 292 posts
Liked in: 521 posts
Location: now Rabat Morocco
have a good long look at the dial and all the numbers you can see that they are hand painted not machine made, and even the circle with the second spacing , see how the spacing between the second markers are uneven ?

Image

_________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Breitling and Boats. The rest I wasted" - mostly Elmore Leonard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 1499
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 10 posts
Location: Australia
Dracha wrote:
have a good long look at the dial and all the numbers you can see that they are hand painted not machine made, and even the circle with the second spacing , see how the spacing between the second markers are uneven ?

Image


Thanks for the clues to look for. I would think this would take a lot of effort from the fakers part to been get the dial looking as it is, looks a very painful job trying paint those numbers but thankfully can be detected.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:05 pm 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 am
Posts: 36521
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 485 posts
Location: Ontario, Canada
cruvon wrote:
Thanks for the clues to look for. I would think this would take a lot of effort from the fakers part to been get the dial looking as it is, looks a very painful job trying paint those numbers but thankfully can be detected.



It's not a fake, just an amateur attempt to restore.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:56 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 3156
Likes: 292 posts
Liked in: 521 posts
Location: now Rabat Morocco
Roffensian wrote:

It's not a fake, just an amateur attempt to restore.


agreed , the case and movement and even the dial and hands are all original but someone attempted to 'restore' it

_________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Breitling and Boats. The rest I wasted" - mostly Elmore Leonard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:10 pm
Posts: 374
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
I think the handset belongs to a post-1963 model, and probably the rotating bezel chapter. It doesn't look like it meets the dial properly? Is it possible that it (maybe the hands, too) are from a modern Navitimer?

I'm full of questions today.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: navitimer...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 pm 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:09 am
Posts: 36521
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 485 posts
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bill in Sacramento wrote:
I think the handset belongs to a post-1963 model, and probably the rotating bezel chapter. It doesn't look like it meets the dial properly? Is it possible that it (maybe the hands, too) are from a modern Navitimer?

I'm full of questions today.



I've seen a few 'aftermarket' outer chapter rings, and I suspect that this might be one of those. Hands look like 60s style to me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group